How long does anti seize last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm revamping my boat trailer due to rust and went ahead and ordered some lug bolts for the wheels, since the current bolts are rusty and rust can be chipped off with my hand. So I think back in 2013 or 2014 I removed them all and put anti seize on the threads, but I haven't touched them since. Now I think I only put them on at 100ft lbs so will the anti seize still do its job after 4 years of being dunked in the salt?

Isn't anti seize just fine granular metal in a petroleum based carrier? If so, the fine metal should still be between the threads.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Now I think I only put them on at 100ft lbs so will the anti seize still do its job after 4 years of being dunked in the salt?

Depends what you mean by "its job". It'll still be there, and it'll still tend to prevent seizure and galling, but you imply that you want it to prevent corrosion. That isn't its primary purpose, and the commonest copper-base anti-seize will be no better than ordinary grease, and might be worse, due to galvanic corrosion.

Aluminium or nickel-based anti-seize might be better.

In that role I use cheapo chassis grease with some polythene sheet from a thinnish plastic bag. Equally long-lasting and no electrochemical issues.

I'm revamping my boat trailer due to rust and went ahead and ordered some lug bolts for the wheels, since the current bolts are rusty and rust can be chipped off with my hand. So I think back in 2013 or 2014 I removed them all and put anti seize on the threads, but I haven't touched them since. Now I think I only put them on at 100ft lbs so will the anti seize still do its job after 4 years of being dunked in the salt?

Yep. If they are rusty make sure to clean those studs off before you take the nuts off.

While a boat trailer sees more water compared to a normal car.

I can tell you I re-did my suspension that was 5 years old, all my anti-seize was still on there for the most part. It did its job prevent things from locking up. My car is on the road everyday with salt and snow in the winters. My car had a know issue with bolts rusting to bushings so when you remove the bolt, the bushing will spin with it. So anti-seize did its job well.

I used permatex nickel based.

I do not believe anti seize was meant to be submerged in water. Wire brushing the threads and applying a water proof bearing grease would do better.

Last edited:
It'll still be there.

But if you bought new, who cares if the break?
laugh.gif

My dad bought the copper based stuff about 12 years ago when he hung up his tools due to health reasons and I think it's just running out now. Been fine.

8652802.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't use anti-seize on lug threads personally but as long as it is gray it is good. I have a jar that is about 15 years old and it can separate some in the bottle but with a good stir it is fine. On an application such as your threads, especially a rusted thread I am sure it is OK

Think about replacing the hubs. Hubs are cheap, and include the bearing races and studs. Easy way to get three birds with one stone.

Btw, saltwater dips cause me much pain with lug nuts getting stuck on studs. Have alot of practice cutting them off.

Last edited:
We use anti-seize a lot at work, many submerged applications, and it holds up quite well, for years in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back