Mistakenly used anti-seize on a rubber valve cover gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1mz-fe engine and replaced the gasket for the front and rear valve cover, I also remove 2 half moons on each and applied what I thought was my gray Permatex gasket sealer..I put everything back and have used it for 6 days with a total mileage of over 300 miles...then realize I made a big misake since what I used was actually Permatex 81343 anti-seize. So far the anti-seize is holding up pretty well and there are no leaks. I can see the beads formed by the anti-seize and it still looks like when I put it on. It has not dissipated or anything and actually surprised it is holding up. What is your opinion on this? Should I just redo it again (rear is very difficult) or should I just continue monitoring for oil loss? Also, will this affect my engine since anti-seize is more likely circulating inside the engine?

I can appreciate what a pain it would be to have to redo the rear cover but I'd pull it off and do it right. I'd be worried that it's gonna blow one day while I'm going down the interstate and in my opinion it's not a question of if but rather when.

Last edited:
I've been searching on the internet on people you might have done this mistake and found a forum where someone actually uses anti-seize on his valve cover gasket in his motorcycle for reuse. Post #7
https://www.riderforums.com/zr-7-maintenance/39383-cross-referenced-valve-cover-gasket.html

and this but he is concerned about antiseize inside his engine but used anti-seize intentionally
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5744

This individual also used it on his valve cover gasket and claims it's doing a great job and contemplating on using it on the oil pan

https://www.northamericanmotoring.c...silver-anti-seize-on-oil-pan-gasket.html

Rear VC is a real pain on the 1mz-fe.
I did not remove the half moons when I did my '03 about 2 years ago.
In your case, I'd likely go back in and do it correctly. This is the kind of thing that works OK for a while, then the weather turns in the fall and it'll start leaking like mad.
Fix it correctly on your terms, not when the engine gives you no choice.

IDK, having those metal flakes floating around in the oil sure doesn't give the warm and fuzzies. Besides, how well/long can the anti sieze withstand exposure to oil??

I would remove it and do it properly, but that's just my OCD kicking in
wink.gif

Would always be looking for that first sign of seepage.
Your call but I think you already know your answer.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Those gaskets are impervious to motor oil and I doubt that anti-seize will have any effect on gaskets.

The gaskets may be impervious but is the anti seize? The valve cover seal is only going to be as strong as the weakest link.. it's a fools wager in my opinion to bet the integrity of that valve covers seal, on something that wasn't specd for the application.

Guess someone should fire off an email to Permatex. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they said redo it, because saying that the anti seize is fine literally flies in the face of all they preach about making sure the metal surface is prepped and free of contaminants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
IDK, having those metal flakes floating around in the oil sure doesn't give the warm and fuzzies. Besides, how well/long can the anti sieze withstand exposure to oil??

I wouldn't worry about it. If the spark plug is using it it should be relatively safe. Common engine sludge over time does a lot more than a bit of these anti-siege compound.

Thanks for all your responses. I have PM'd one of the registered user here who applied anti-seize on his valve cover gasket and he found no issue with it (year 2002). I have decided to just monitor it closely and when I have the slightest sign of oil leak from the valve cover, I will replace it. I have driven it for 500 miles with no leaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back