How long a starter motor last in 3800 v6 ?

my 99 Cavalier needed a starter motor right up around the 250,000 mile mark... Might have lasted longer but the check valve in the fuel pump assembly would bleed down over nite so it would take extended cranking on first startup of the day in order for it to run..

OTOH my 2017 Nissan Versa had a starter motor fail in the 60,000 mile range.. so much for vaunted Japanese reliability. :) Other than that I can't remember changing a starter motor on anything else in the last 30 years.
Your 2017 Nissan Versa has nothing to do with "vaunted Japanese reliability."

Original starter is on my mom's 96 Riveria, pushing 200k mi. Original starter is still on my 93 Mustang, 49Xk mi later. 4th engine though 😂

You may never use it, but you won't have any problem reselling an OEM starter at at a profit in the future especially if they are out of production. Considering the effects of inflation, the best time to have bought your spare starter was yesterday.
Unfortunately, as time goes on, the demand for a 2001 Grand Prix will diminish. I don't think it's a good idea stock piling parts believing they will be needed someday. A transmission or engine overhaul likely will send the G.P. to the crusher.

2003 Buick with 3.8 V6: 17 years and 122,000 miles on the original starter. The car was totaled in 2020 and I'd guess the starter would have continued working for many more years.

I would be a lot more worried about the known issues on these vehicles than a specific part. I have several of these vehicles and never did a starter. One has the original one at almost 200k another had a new one when I bought it with 80k on it. It varies and often times it is misdiagnosed. Unless your car isn't starting, I wouldn't worry about the starter.

Make sure the lower intake gaskets are metal, the coolant elbows are metal, get a shift kit in the transmission, new upper intake manifold and do not put dexcool coolant in it. Then you should be good for a long time.

I've lost four starters over the years, three of them "dragged" eg operated slowly before they went, so I had some warning.

Your 2017 Nissan Versa has nothing to do with "vaunted Japanese reliability."
I share the same opinion... I've owned it for 4 years and put about 35000 miles on it, and have replaced the starter, the o2 sensor, the engine cooling fan, the battery and one rear wheel bearing... and it only has 80,000 miles on it now... compare that with the 99 Cavalier I owned. Consensu would be a Cavalier is a POS, but I bought that car with 47,000 miles an drove it until I fried the engine because of a coolant leak whereupon it had 317000 miles. I think in all the time I owned it, I replaced the alternator , water pump, the starter and one brake cylinder.. thats about it..

Unfortunately, as time goes on, the demand for a 2001 Grand Prix will diminish. I don't think it's a good idea stock piling parts believing they will be needed someday. A transmission or engine overhaul likely will send the G.P. to the crusher.

My post was intended to be more of a general statement because I don't have experience with this specific car, however, my experience with other vehicles has been that commonly used new old stock OEM parts like a starter are better than money in the bank. The ease of reselling your part will depend somewhat on the desirability of the car now and into the future, but there is always going to be at least someone searching for the part as long as they are still regularly being driven.

Last edited:
Had two Buicks drove each over 100000 miles and no starter issues. Actually it`s impossible to predict which part might fail so sleep well and save the coin at this time.

The OEM starter for my ‘03 Corolla lasted 18 years / ~180k. There weren’t many cycles on the starter as 75% was highway mileage thus why years are up there too. So it really depends on driving style to compare stats. Replaced with Advance Auto rebuild and so far no issues after 2 years / 20k. I was fortunate that car was about 4 miles away from house and I felt the starter didn’t click over and turn the motor normally. Got back to house and got one more start and then it was done. A tow would have sucked if it died far away. My advice is keep some sort of tapping device, stick, rod, or maybe use the spare tire tools in trunk and see if you can get access to the starter to tap it if you find yourself stranded.

All parts have X number of uses before failure. I try to explain to people, not to frivolously use items so they will last. Don't start the car 50 times per day needlessly and the starter will last longer. Just like any product, use it wisely and it will last.

As long as Twinkies and cockroaches.
Not sure anything can last that long!

PO of my Camry had the starter replaced, not sure what was used, probably a reman. When it started acting up a couple months ago, I bought some contacts off ebay as it was a solenoid issue. Works fine now. $20 maybe? the rest of the starter was fine.

I have a 2001 Pontiac grand prix with 119500 miles. On average how many miles/ years a starter motor last? Is it worth stocking up on a starter motor?
My 01GP with a 3.1 L went out at around 104,000. I presume it was the OEM starter.
Got a new one for about $65.00 on Amazon, about a year ago, been working well.

My 01GP with a 3.1 L went out at around 104,000. I presume it was the OEM starter.
Got a new one for about $65.00 on Amazon, about a year ago, been working well.
I suspect it was my brushes, but l never took it apart.
Tried to find brushes but couldn't seem to find them anywhere.

Id like to mention that my said Buick had remote start and was worked overtime in that regard. Even after the car sat for 3 years it fired right up.

Back