How is Lamin-X

Looking at putting Lamin-X precut film on the Jettas headlights. Does anybody have any experience with this brand, is there something better than Lamin-X?

Looking for durability and EASE OF REMOVAL. I would try to remove the film and reapply new film as needed to keep the film from becoming hard and impossible to remove without damaging the headlights.

I have read it's good for 5 years but the stories of removing after such time say it is nearly impossible without scratching the headlights to pieces.

I had some on the back of my Durango for about 18 months. The adhesive all stuck to the lenses and it wasn’t easy to get off, but I was removing them in 40F weather. Maybe if it was summer and I let them bake in the sun for awhile it would have been easier, but I managed to do it without damaging them.

I had some on the back of my Durango for about 18 months. The adhesive all stuck to the lenses and it wasn’t easy to get off, but I was removing them in 40F weather. Maybe if it was summer and I let them bake in the sun for awhile it would have been easier, but I managed to do it without damaging them.
The difficult removal is what I'd like to avoid. If I may ask, why were you removing them at 18 months?

Lamin-X is king in my opinion. Put it on my GTO in 2006 and my SRT8 300 a year later. Both cars had gun-smoke the darkest film.
The timing of this thread is spot on. I just got my film for the current 300 but it is in the lighter tInt. I had Headlight Armor on the mustang and it was good but Lamin-X rules for me.

The difficult removal is what I'd like to avoid. If I may ask, why were you removing them at 18 months?
I tinted them darker and put LED’s in that were significantly brighter than stock, but then one of the resistors I had to put in failed and I did not feel like dealing with the resistors anymore… darker tint+factory bulbs=not a good idea IMO

I just put Lamin-x on the 300 yesterday. 300 lights are easy and took me less than 15 minutes a side. Probably cause I've done so many. Lights will be a little hazy for a couple of days til they completely dry out.

I just put Lamin-x on the 300 yesterday. 300 lights are easy and took me less than 15 minutes a side. Probably cause I've done so many. Lights will be a little hazy for a couple of days til they completely dry out.
Have you removed the film on any car? If so, how long after application and how did it go?

If you want to remove Lamin-X, warm up the film with a hair dryer or a heatgun. Get it nice and warm but not hot to the touch. Then peel slowly from a corner and the film should come off in one piece. The longest I've left the film on is around 4 years. I remove it once I notice wear and deterioration.

If you want to remove Lamin-X, warm up the film with a hair dryer or a heatgun. Get it nice and warm but not hot to the touch. Then peel slowly from a corner and the film should come off in one piece. The longest I've left the film on is around 4 years. I remove it once I notice wear and deterioration.
I have read this is the proper technique for removal, but actual user stories seem to echo that even with heat applied it leaves nasty residue behind.

I was able to rip it off and get the residue off with denatured alcohol.
I have always used gun smoke which is the darkest but this time I went with tint.

Attachments

• B8407609-BC7F-4867-A105-E89C7214604B.jpeg
    B8407609-BC7F-4867-A105-E89C7214604B.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 43394D59-5C87-4584-90B1-F36F0425F764.jpeg
    43394D59-5C87-4584-90B1-F36F0425F764.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 41
I have read this is the proper technique for removal, but actual user stories seem to echo that even with heat applied it leaves nasty residue behind.
Maybe that happens if the film is left on longer than it should? 3M Adhesive Remover is safe on polycarbonate.

I'd avoid Xpel imho. Xpel has only average products at best. Their tint and film is not optically clear. I learned this the hard way they also don't support their dealers (I've talked to a few that have dropped them because of this,) nor do they honor their warranties. This is partly dealer level too, but when the company with their name is on everything won't support it either, I don't buy their stuff anymore...

I used a razor and some lubricant to remove the stubborn adhesive residue on my headlights.

IMO it is just the superior product. Doesn't yellow and is optically clear. Easy removal. 7 year warranty.
It definitely yellows, like all PPF after time. The ongoing long-term tests on youtube match my personal experieince.

I'd avoid Xpel imho. Xpel has only average products at best. Their tint and film is not optically clear. I learned this the hard way they also don't support their dealers (I've talked to a few that have dropped them because of this,) nor do they honor their warranties. This is partly dealer level too, but when the company with their name is on everything won't support it either, I don't buy their stuff anymore...
Xpel does have a bit more texture than some other films, but it is a solid product. Their warranty policy is no worse than all of the others. The labor reimbursement is minimal and they only reimburse film warranty claims with more film.

Back