How hard is to to flip a car over?

For those who say I want to drive something nimble to avoid crashes, okay then, have at it....
Well, how about low and nimble! Then the rolling tire would've bounced off instead of getting sucked under....
I suspect any vehicle, say 3/4 ton pickup and lighter would have the same flight path though!

No audio on work computer ... but I'm betting they didn't even see that. YIkes.

I thought it was a wheel coming lose, but I see a rotor. Must be catastrophic wheel bearing failure?

Just search for "idiots in cars" on any social media platform and you'll be amazed how easy it is to roll a car over. Not just trucks and SUVs - sedans as well.

A big truck's "retread" had peeled off and was lying aside the road.
A civil engineer in the family said to me, "I could get hit by one of those tomorrow".

The wheel offset on the truck doesn't look like it's at the factory spec. Offsetting rims like that is hard on wheel bearings and that can lead to failed wheel bearing and this type of thing happening.

Last edited:
Saw a car that hit a median divider and did a barrel roll right in front of us. It was traveling in the opposite direction and ended up on our side. My dad managed to slow down. But after that I was always freaked out about any kind of divider. But then again I see plenty of scrapes and tire marks on dividers so usually they bounce right off. I do remember one time when I was seeing someone just weaving in and out of traffic driving aggressively. Eventually hit the median divider and might have lifted a foot off the ground before dropping back. But a little more and I think the car would have flipped.

It is a lot easier to do than most of us think. Parkways in NY and NJ are well known for it.

The tire really hated that car, got if from the front and rear.

I don't see how the car driver could have avoided playing launch.

Last edited:
I did the roll and land upside down thing once in an S10. Surprisingly enough the guy that sideswiped me and caused the spin didnt have to hit me all that hard.

The wheel offset on the truck doesn't look like it's at the factory spec. Offsetting rims like that is hard on wheel bearings and that can lead to failed wheel bearing and this type of thing happening.
Definitely looks like a wheel bearing peaced out. Not sure if 4x4 or 4x2 truck, but it also ate the CV shaft if it's a 4x4! I have had some pretty severe wheel bearing failures on the Jeep before but the axle stub shaft has always kept the wheel bearing together.

1679948201929.jpg

I like how the wheel comes back to hit the car one more time, I guess to add insult to injury.

It was a gentle nudge. Kind of reminds me of that scene where Indiana Jones thinks that he lost his fedora, but then the wind blows it right next to him and he picks it up. I know - not his wheel, but it is rather bizarre.

Fortunately nobody was seriously hurt. Seat belts are definitely a good thing, because without one there's a good chance the driver flies out of a side window (seen that happen in rollover footage) or smacks really hard into the windshield (which can be fatal).

Rotors don't normally come out without removing the caliper first?

I'm thinking maybe the shaft snapped. Someone mentioned that the offset clearly isn't original. The tire is clearly extending out the wheel well and those are really low profile tires for a pickup. I'm thinking the combination of the mods and the low profile tires stressed out the axle.

Back