How good is ST Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running ms5k recently and Castrol in my Kia. I've noticed the price of Castrol is over $17 and ms5k is $15 at the local wally world. How good is ST Synthetic at a price point compared to those dino oils?

The ST Syn is well, Syn! It has some advantages of being synthetic but, not at the level of some of the better known syn's(Mobil 1, Edge, PP/PU).

ST Syn is probably better than the MS5K & GTX(I presume) and maybe on par with PYB(as a dino) which is a very good dino BTW!

Will your engine notice the differences, IDK!

My opinion.
ST synthetic is as good as any of the group III synthetics and definitely better than any conventional oil for most applications. It's a bargain. If it was available where I live, I'd use it.

5 quart jug of ST synthetic is $17.50 , 5 quart jug of M1 is $26.00 ... locally. The price is more and more appealing as the other stuff goes up in price.

I'd go with ST synthetic over any conventional oil if the price is close....as long as leaking oil is not an issue. Any synthetic may cause or increase leaks in an older hi mileage car.

I've used Super Tech synthetic a few times in my family's Honda cars and some snow blowers. Good results with both, and in the Hondas it ran smoother than with the Mobil 1.

ST Syn is great oil.I have ran it many times over the years,and when it comes out its never thin,watery or anything like that,that I have experienced with conventional oils.Great oil for the price.

I was impressed when I contacted WPP for data sheets for the ST product. Now, I wouldn't use ST dex ATF unless it was the licensed Dex VI. However, their oils seem to all use the exact same add pack, which even if not spectacular, if for a legacy application may be fine.

Im using some in my one car that consumes some oil. It wants a heavier oil by spec, so I still run 5w40 in the winter to some extent... Which ST doesn't offer.

Good oil. Not a top-self, rule-the-world major oil, but then again it does not have that price either. Can't argue with the $17-$18 price-point but sometimes you can find similar sales with other grpIII major brand oil.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I was impressed when I contacted WPP for data sheets for the ST product. Now, I wouldn't use ST dex ATF unless it was the licensed Dex VI. However, their oils seem to all use the exact same add pack, which even if not spectacular, if for a legacy application may be fine.

Im using some in my one car that consumes some oil. It wants a heavier oil by spec, so I still run 5w40 in the winter to some extent... Which ST doesn't offer.

Why not for their ATF? I have been using their Dex in my malibu for years without issue. Only recently started changing over to Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Why not for their ATF? I have been using their Dex in my malibu for years without issue. Only recently started changing over to Maxlife.

Some vehicles are picky about their ATF. The GM I owned had no issues when using it. The Ford F150 I currently own hates it.

I wouldn't judge oil by the brand anymore. In fact, Ever since the API SM and arguably SL specs came out years ago all you have worry about is price and the fact that it comes from a well known brand.

Like others, just buy any cheap known branded API SN oil that suits your oil interval needs. Usually up to 5k for conventional, 10k for lower priced synths, 15k for top-tier synths.

You can go futher oil intervals, like conventional can do 10k, but you'll need to prove it to yourself with your specific car with oil analysis. Not all cars use oil the same and not all drivers get oil up to temp often enough.

Love any WPP/WNE oil. I have AZ synthetic in the wife's Trailblazer. Have run ST synthetic in it also. The truck runs great on them for 5k. Lots of short trip, stop and go driving.
I try to avoid Walmart at all costs up here. The cliental is enough to keep the average person away, between the smelly French Canadians and the smelly welfare bums.

I'm sure it's a fine oil, but I'd run a quality conventional over it. The best way to know for sure is to run it and do a few UOAs.

I use ST 5W30 and 10w30 in my supercharged corvette. It runs the same as if I was using Mobil 1 and or Penz Ultra.

ST is a Warren product.

I have used Warren produced Peak 0W-20 in the past with good results.

I would rather use that oil than most conventional 5W-20's in my Toyotas.

Other grades of ST might yield different results.

UOA's, along with VOA's from PQIA, are out there for Warren motor oils like Mag 1, Peak, and many house-labeled Warren oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back