How good are Baldwin filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests I have been researching compatible parts for my Taxi.

Currently have a Bosch filter on there.

But they are £8 - 20% discount at Euro.

So I have found out that I can use the Baldwin B178 which I can buy from www.inlinefilters.co.uk for £2.86 each, they list it as FFR-PH2870.

It has anti drain back valve and 30 PSID by pass valve.

Can also get a Baldwin fuel filter FBW-BF5587D, which is only £4.63.

So the savings are significant. About 1/4 of Bosch filters at EuroCarParts.

So opinions welcomed.

Are Baldwin filters any good?

Or are they not well thought of in the way FRAM are?

Baldwin are very good filters. They are not one of the "superfilters" like the M1, Royal Purple, Amsoil EA, Napa Platinum or the recent Fram Ultra but they are a solidly built, solidly performing oil filter at a very good price.

Very good, no-nonsense type of filter. Especially popular in the off-road, farm, and construction areas. The majority of them are built in Nebraska, although some of them are built around the world, including China.
Please don't compare them to OCOD Fram.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Very good, no-nonsense type of filter. Especially popular in the off-road, farm, and construction areas. The majority of them are built in Nebraska, although some of them are built around the world, including China.
Please don't compare them to OCOD Fram.

Who compared them to FRAM?

I asked if they were well thought of or considered to be like FRAM.

There was no comparison or conclusion in my post.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

Was interesting to read that they used to make Amsoil filters.

I assume Bosch oil filters are relatively rare in the US?

Currently using Bosch fuel and oil filters.

Another contender is K&N but price is massive, I think they are something like £12 or £15 each.

If Baldwin are solid and well built filters I think I am on to a winner.

Have been reading about a Jeep Liberty owner, with the bigger 2.8 VM engine and he has just ran Amsoil 5w30 HDEO for over 22k miles using a bypass filter setup and TBN was still 4.68!

The normal OCI for my vehicle up to 2011 was 10k and the. It went up to 12k so OE filters should be good for 12k at least.

Does anybody think you could run a Baldwin filter longer than 10/12k if part of a bypass setup?

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I assume Bosch oil filters are relatively rare in the US?

You will not regret using Baldwins (or their clones, the Hastings). A quick lube up here near one of my businesses actually uses Baldwins exclusively. I was pleasantly surprised.

Bosch filters are kind of hit and miss in North America. They're fairly easy to find and very cheap if it's a German Bosch for a European application. Finding one for a North American or Japanese application is a bit more of a challenge, but in my experience, when I find them, they are very nicely priced.

For my G, I have a stash of Wix, Hastings (Baldwins except white), and Bosch Premiums.

Good enough for me, I have one Bosch left which will be going in at around 185k then I shall buy a small staff of ten or so oil and the same in fuel filters.

No point buying in ones or twos as the p&p is £6.95 for the UK with no weight limit.

I've beeen using Baldwin filters over 30 years on everything from our over the road trucks to farm equipment and my own cars with excellent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back