How full do you go??

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I do an oil change, I typically use the specified oil amount listed in the owner's manual. Doing this, typically puts the oil level smack dab in the middle of the oil range on the diptick. This is typically where I leave it.

I was wondering if most people do the same, i.e leave the oil level in the middle of the range?? Or do most fill it right up to the max level on the dipstick??

For initial filling I usually have it at middle of the range, but for long trip, specially for Vegas trip(s) in summer I would add to max level.

I go by the dipstick, not the actual amount. It goes all the way to the top of the full mark, sometimes over.

I always fill it to the max line, or just a tiny hair over. I just simply pour in the recommended 4 quarts that the manual says, and that's right where it puts it.

My Jeep calls for 5 qts, and that is what I put in, the E-150 calls for 6 qts and that is what I put in. Both are to the full mark on the stick. My Aerostar calls for 4.5 qts, if I have a half qt left over it gets 4.5 qts, otherwise I add 5 qts. It's been working well for me.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always put the spec`d amount in for my car......4.5 quarts w/filter change.

I always put in the specified amount of oil as well. However, with my F150 which calls for 6 quarts, that amount will put you at the bottom of the range. So I have been putting in 6.5 quarts which puts me at the middle to high end of the range. So, did Ford not put the proper amount in the owner's manual or is their dipstick a bit off??

It depends.

In my BMW daily driver, during the winter I keep it at the minimum level to allow faster warm up of the oil.
In my Caterham I must keep it at the full level to avoid oil starvation during aggressive driving

In an engine with no issues and doesn't consume any significant amount warranting topping up between OCI, then it doesn't matter; wherever the last full quart leaves you between the marks.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
In my BMW daily driver, during the winter I keep it at the minimum level to allow faster warm up of the oil.

I don't think 1 qt less is going to make a difference. Bad idea to me - I want all the oil in there.

Full, never above... Too high can do more damage than too low apparently. (Not risking to find out!) :p

With a Saturn though, keeping it at the "full" line means opening your hood fairly often :) Not a bad thing, she'll run forever if pampered!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I go by the dipstick. At least to the top (max) or a tad over. Usually owner's manual spec is close to max.

x2.

You are safe if you have the oil level anywhere between the ADD & MAX on the dipstick. However; I fill to the Max line out of habit and it does give you a safety margin if a leak develops. We often time mistakenly say the oil is low when the bottom mark is reallly the ADD line.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always put the spec`d amount in for my car......4.5 quarts w/filter change.

I always put in the specified amount of oil as well. However, with my F150 which calls for 6 quarts, that amount will put you at the bottom of the range. So I have been putting in 6.5 quarts which puts me at the middle to high end of the range. So, did Ford not put the proper amount in the owner's manual or is their dipstick a bit off??

I had an 84 E-150 4.9L that had a dipstick that wasn't marked properly. I pulled the stick from my 88 E-150 4.9L to check the oil in the 84 and it was at the proper level with the stick from the other van. I simply cut a mark on the stick from the 84 at the proper full level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back