How fast is your internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 Down and 1 Up and thats taking into account i upgraded to new speeds recently. It was 10 Down and 1 Up a couple of months ago.

Went from an ARRIS TG1672G 16x4 to a ARRIS SB6190 32x8 + TPLink Archer C8 wireless router. Speed is no different other than the modem using all available channels now (24x4).

6159477341.png

6159499883.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Went from an ARRIS TG1672G 16x4 to a ARRIS SB6190 32x8 + TPLink Archer C8 wireless router. Speed is no different other than the modem using all available channels now (24x4).

Except the massive increase in ping time. That's a lot of latency.

6159477341.png

6159499883.png

That higher ping time is a glitch. I don't think you can have that high a throughput and ping time at the same time.

I pay for 25 up/down get 30 download and 27 upload ... plenty fast for what I do. I'm sure FIOS will be adjusting their speeds up eventually and Verizon customers sometimes get it for free.

Just checked mine moments ago. 120 down and 7 up.

Comcast-and yes I pay extra for that speed.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33

Except the massive increase in ping time. That's a lot of latency.

Yeah the Intel Puma chipsets in those modems has lots of issues.

Speed is great to measure, certainly nothing wrong with having it.

For what its worth, on our properly set up and working wi-fi network, we get along fine on TWC/Spectrum 6/1 with an actual measured 7 down and 1.25 up.
Never, ever, any buffering, we do not pay for TV, OTA with superior HD picture then ANY pay TV service, bar none. We use a Channel Master DVR+ for the main TV.
We also have 4 Roku players for streaming and have a subscription to Netflex and Hulu+

Price is $39.99 per month for 6/1 TWC/Spectrum internet plus less then $20 a month for our Netflex and Hulu.

Im only saying this as IF and only if some people are looking to save money, if your network is working properly you can get by on WAY less then some of the speeds I am seeing posted here.

With that said, I suspect soon TWC/Spectrum maybe upgrading our speed at the same price as our Electric Co-op is now laying fiberoptic and offering 100/100 Mbps for $49.00, for the $10 I might get it when it arrives, UNLESS TWC doubles me to 15/2 at no cost.

6164196083.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Speed is great to measure, certainly nothing wrong with having it.

For what its worth, on our properly set up and working wi-fi network, we get along fine on TWC/Spectrum 6/1 with an actual measured 7 down and 1.25 up.
Never, ever, any buffering, we do not pay for TV, OTA with superior HD picture then ANY pay TV service, bar none. We use a Channel Master DVR+ for the main TV.
We also have 4 Roku players for streaming and have a subscription to Netflex and Hulu+

Price is $39.99 per month for 6/1 TWC/Spectrum internet plus less then $20 a month for our Netflex and Hulu.

Im only saying this as IF and only if some people are looking to save money, if your network is working properly you can get by on WAY less then some of the speeds I am seeing posted here.

With that said, I suspect soon TWC/Spectrum maybe upgrading our speed at the same price as our Electric Co-op is now laying fiberoptic and offering 100/100 Mbps for $49.00, for the $10 I might get it when it arrives, UNLESS TWC doubles me to 15/2 at no cost.

6164196083.png

Yep-but who would want too........

Some of us only have the liberty of a "Tin can and string." This connection is some 3G-based doohickey, as the local phone exchange is right on the limit for ADSL - and the lines in the area are about 50 years old and at capacity.
This service is basically using some wholesale of Telstra's 3G network and grossly over-subscribing it.

The speed has gone beloe 0.5mpbs down before, and is typically around 1.0-2mbps. I tried Speedtest this morning, and got about 3.5mbps download, failed upload test. Obviously we're running downhill with a strong tailwind today...

5089482047.png

Originally Posted By: B320i
Some of us only have the liberty of a "Tin can and string." This connection is some 3G-based doohickey, as the local phone exchange is right on the limit for ADSL - and the lines in the area are about 50 years old and at capacity.
This service is basically using some wholesale of Telstra's 3G network and grossly over-subscribing it.

The speed has gone beloe 0.5mpbs down before, and is typically around 1.0-2mbps. I tried Speedtest this morning, and got about 3.5mbps download, failed upload test. Obviously we're running downhill with a strong tailwind today...

5089482047.png

Wow-your right that's pathetic. No other Internet Offering in your area?

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

You are so right. All the speed in the world doesn't help you if the other site is overloaded and you're having to buffer data like mad, anyhow. You see my speed posted above on this page. When my speed was basically 1/4 of what it is now, on a lot of websites, I would notice very little difference. It is better for streaming, most of the time. But, to be perfectly honest, given my usage patterns, I really wonder sometimes why I bothered.

And your comments about rural areas (Canada, America, or Australia) are quite correct. SaskTel still offers dial up for a reason.
wink.gif

It's Spectrum's TV debacle that has me @*^$&. TV never comes on the same way twice. No one at TW/Spectrum knows(or cares) why the TV has a pink hue to it every other time I turn it on.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Wow-your right that's pathetic. No other Internet Offering in your area?

ADSL is sketchy - some providers will sign you up, and others would turn you down due to distance from the exchange (and the probability of complaints). Because of the distance, the reports I'm hearing on the Whirlpool Forums are that you'd get an ADSL connection that could be very flaky, and probably only good for about 1.75mbps, at best. The exchange we're on is located in one of the cities' older suburbs (1950s and 1960s), and the copper lines are deteriorated and very congested. Our suburb is about 25-30 years newer, but we're constrained by the bodgy phone lines not far away.

Most of the suburbs on that copper loop are gearing up for the Government's fan-dangled "National Broadband Network," and what I'm hearing is the places that have it, who live closer to the old exchange are very displeased with the speed of the service. Its supposed to be Fibre-to-the-Node. Hopefully our suburb fares better with newer telephone cables...

Suffice it to say, unless one of the other householders are doing something greedy like torrenting movies, you can get by just fine with 1.5-3mbps. Even watching YouTue at 480p isn't that difficult, surprisingly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back