How Fast Can The F-16 Fly?

I never realized it, but when you look at that F-14 sitting on that flight deck, that is a BIG airplane! especially compared to the pilots. Even the canopy is huge. Not to mention the tire on the main gear. It looks like it just about comes up to that guy's waistline.

Somehow I came across this in a search and I remember seeing some video of pilots talking about the maneuverability of the F-14. It was kind of crude, but it was something in the line of "Dances pretty well for a fat girl."

Speed?

Same mission - different day - Functional check flight after an engine install on an F-14A. The old one, with the less powerful engines.

After the 1.4 IMN engine check (part of the required test parameter), I asked my RIO, a guy named ”Shu” how fast he had ever been. He mumbled something about 1.5. I said we have to beat that, and went back into full AB.

We climbed to 55,000’ (yeah, yeah, I know, the flight manual says the altitude limit is 50,000, but fortunately, the airplane can’t read! ).

Then we nosed over a bit for a speed run.

At about 37,000 feet we hit Mach 2.0. It was close to 950 KIAS, which is incredibly high indicated airspeed. Mach 2.0 on the gauge is about 2.12 actual Mach due to pitot-static errors in the system.

Coming out of AB was just like this F-16 pilot described. Hard, continuous deceleration, that threw you forward and didn’t let up. It took a while to get subsonic again, and to help out, I banked to about 90 degrees and pulled some G to add drag.

Still took a while to get the beast subsonic. An extra 600-700 MPH takes a while to scrub off.
Astro, I was on the GW for about 5 years, many many moons ago. Back when the Tomcat was still flying, I remember recognizing that was one special plane. Passageways on all decks suddenly became wide open when a Tomcat pilot was coming thru.

My favorite was watching night ops from the 04 level (think so? It’s been 20+ years) on the catwalk on the side of the island when the F14s were doing touch & gos. My skin still tingles at those thoughts. Thanks for the memories! đŸ‘đŸ»

Speed?

Same mission - different day - Functional check flight after an engine install on an F-14A. The old one, with the less powerful engines.

After the 1.4 IMN engine check (part of the required test parameter), I asked my RIO, a guy named ”Shu” how fast he had ever been. He mumbled something about 1.5. I said we have to beat that, and went back into full AB.

We climbed to 55,000’ (yeah, yeah, I know, the flight manual says the altitude limit is 50,000, but fortunately, the airplane can’t read! ).

Then we nosed over a bit for a speed run.

At about 37,000 feet we hit Mach 2.0. It was close to 950 KIAS, which is incredibly high indicated airspeed. Mach 2.0 on the gauge is about 2.12 actual Mach due to pitot-static errors in the system.

Coming out of AB was just like this F-16 pilot described. Hard, continuous deceleration, that threw you forward and didn’t let up. It took a while to get subsonic again, and to help out, I banked to about 90 degrees and pulled some G to add drag.

Still took a while to get the beast subsonic. An extra 600-700 MPH takes a while to scrub off.
E = M X V**

You had a LOT of E to get rid of.

I will say that the flight manual altitude limit for the F-14 was also 50,000’ for the same physiological considerations (pressure loss, time of consciousness, etc.).

But at 60,000’ one afternoon, out over the Atlantic Ocean, in an F-14B (with the F110s) the airplane was still climbing at over 1,000 feet per minute.

I was maintaining about 1.5 Mach, which gave us a good climb rate* in full AB.

The sky was very dark.

I could see all of the Chesapeake Bay, all the way up to DC.

And I’m here to tell you that the Earth is curved.

*Climb rate is a function of Ps, specific excess power. Used to accelerate or climb. One unique thing about the F-14, as opposed to the F/A-18 or F-16, is that thrust greatly increased with airspeed, due mostly to the compression of the air in those large intakes. So, at sea level, best Ps was about 450 KIAS, where the engines, rated at 23,800# each in AB static/zero speed thrust, made over 32,000#. Each.

Sure, drag was higher as you went faster, but it was more than offset by he increased thrust. and the jet. Up high, over 30,000 feet, best Ps was around 1.4 IMN and the airspeed at which that happens continues to go down as you climb because the air gets thinner. I was flying a bit faster, because up over 50,000 feet, the indicated (KIAS) was so low that it took a lot of nose up trim to fly, and going a bit faster than best engine thrust speed reduced some of the drag from the nose up trim and have a bit better climb. Or so it felt. I later validated my impression with the performance charts on the airplane. Ps IMN and KIAS varied with altitude.
Does aircraft operation work the same as automobiles that if the air is cooler that more power can be had? My stepdad has a grandson who flies at Whiteman AFB and we think but can't confirm he operates a fighter jet. I liked the episode of Captain Slo or James May in the U2 spy plane.

Does aircraft operation work the same as automobiles that if the air is cooler that more power can be had? My stepdad has a grandson who flies at Whiteman AFB and we think but can't confirm he operates a fighter jet. I liked the episode of Captain Slo or James May in the U2 spy plane.
Yes, cooler air is more dense. So, more power.

Basically, if you’re moving the same volume, but the weight is higher, you’re getting more thrust.

Thrust in a jet (unlike a rocket) is a function of transferring momentum to the ingested air.

You could feel the difference between a winter day in Oceana (say, 30 degrees) and a summer day. The jet had a lot more thrust.

Astro,

When you go into full burner on a modern jet fighter engine, especially when the airplane is static, how can that not screw up the EPR? One would think the afterburner would totally unbalance the Engine Pressure Ratio, to the point it would blow out the front. Creating a gigantic compressor stall.

How is the engine able to keep all of that combustion pressure, and subsequent thrust generated by the burner, going out the back?

Astro,

When you go into full burner on a modern jet fighter engine, especially when the airplane is static, how can that not screw up the EPR? One would think the afterburner would totally unbalance the Engine Pressure Ratio, to the point it would blow out the front. Creating a gigantic compressor stall.

How is the engine able to keep all of that combustion pressure, and subsequent thrust generated by the burner, going out the back?
I’m not an engine builder, but here are a couple things to keep in mind.

Modern jet engines don’t burn all the air. Not all the oxygen is used. Further, not all the air goes through the combustion section. the old turbojets routed some air around the combustion section, leaving a supply of cold air that was used for AB liner cooling, AB oxygen, and things like that.

Next, AB isn’t an all or nothing proposition, at least since the 1960s. AB is variable, having a range of fuel flow and thrust increase. “Min burner” was just that - a bit of the flame lit, a bit of thrust augmentation. “Max AB” is when all the flameholders are lit, fuel flow, and thrust increase, are at their max. Fuel flow in the GE F110, for example, is over 1,000#/minute when full AB is used. Yes, that number varies with speed and altitude (fuel mass and air mass are related, go higher and fuel flow goes down, go faster, and it goes up). Not a typo, that’s 150+ gallons/minute for each engine. Just over 2 gallons a second.

Also, the AB wouldn’t stage in older engines until they were at 100% RPM. So, the turbine output pressure was at the max. In modern engines, AB will begin to light at 80+% RPM, but they won’t be fully lit until the engine is at 100% RPM and the pressure ratio in the engine itself is maxed out.

This part is important - the engines with AB have a variable exhaust nozzle. It changes area as AB goes from min to max, partly to keep those pressure ratios in line. The GE F110, for example, would open the nozzle a bit with min burner and the engine at 80% RPM, to keep the pressure ratios in line and allow the engine itself to accelerate.

Watch the carrier launch sequence again in the opening of “Top Gun” - you’ll see the F-14 TF-30s stage through each of five distinct “zones“ of AB, with the nozzle opening a bit each time. The variable nozzle allows the hydro mechanical fuel control to manage engine pressure ratios between inlet and AB for stable operation. And yes, that engine was still hydromechanical - like a complex carburetor- to manage engine fuel flow, AB fuel pump operation, and nozzle position to maintain stable operation in response to throttle input. Balancing pressure ratios the entire time.

I’d have to dig out my tech school books for a more technical answer but I remember that afterburner operation did not / could not affect engine operation

This video kind of shows the convergent/divergent nozzle in operation as the AB lights and goes full. It is “closed” at full “military” power then opens as more AB is added. This is the F110-100 for an F-16

I’d have to dig out my tech school books for a more technical answer but I remember that afterburner operation did not / could not affect engine operation

This video kind of shows the convergent/divergent nozzle in operation as the AB lights and goes full. It is “closed” at full “military” power then opens as more AB is added. This is the F110-100 for an F-16

Notice that the nozzle is partly open at engine idle. It closes as the RPM goes up.

Also, the nozzle isn’t fully open in AB during this test.

The mass in the air flow is not near maximum. When the airplane is going fast, more air, hence more mass, is getting pushed into the engine, so, the AB is flowing more air at high speed, and the nozzle needs to be able to open more than it does at static thrust.

I talked about this in my F-14 thread. For the GE F-110-400 in the F-14, static (zero airspeed) thrust in full AB was 23,800#. The engine was sucking in all the air.

But at 450 KIAS, when the big, variable inlet on the F-14 was ramming, and compressing, the incoming air, the thrust in full AB was 32,000#. A big increase because the amount (in lbs per second) of air being run through the engine went way up as a result of aircraft speed and inlet efficiency.

The engine had to be built to balance that flight regime, to accommodate that increase in flow and thrust, so, the nozzle at full AB in a static test still had room to open.

I know the inlet airspeed has a LOT to do with AB output. I remember reading about the SR-71 engines. Kelly Johnson said that a very high percentage of the thrust at Mach 3 was created by just moving the "spike", (Inlet Ram), in or out.

I don't know if this was automatic, or something the pilots did. But it effectively made the engine into a ramjet at very high speeds.

I know the inlet airspeed has a LOT to do with AB output. I remember reading about the SR-71 engines. Kelly Johnson said that a very high percentage of the thrust at Mach 3 was created by just moving the "spike", (Inlet Ram), in or out.

I don't know if this was automatic, or something the pilots did. But it effectively made the engine into a ramjet at very high speeds.
Automatic. Analog controls, and I believe it was initially hydro pneumatic- later upgraded to electronic. Inlet positioning on the SR-71 had to be very precise, on the order of 0.1” to maintain the shock front in the inlet.

A slight mis position of the inlet spike would lead to a loss of the shock front - and what was known as an “unstart”. The engine would lose all thrust, because the air would spill around the intake instead of being compressed and slowed inside the intake to be fed to the engine.

Hi.
I recommend watching the series of interviews on youtube with a gent called Keith 'okie' Nance. He was an F16 pilot as well as an F14 one. Very straight-talking man.

Flying very fast RC aircraft is not as much fun as medium or slow RC aircraft because with fast ones you are constantly having to turn or at least make a huge loop, because you can NEVER let it get out of range of direct sight.

Back