How far would you stretch a Costco syn 5w20 OCI?

Older tech? Not sure, but 5-6 qts is what pretty much any 4 cyl engine takes these days
2.5L Camry takes 4.8 qts so pretty close. Anything smaller than a 2.5L that takes 5 qt is quite a big sump for it. European vehicles maybe different.

2.5L Camry takes 4.8 qts so pretty close. Anything smaller than a 2.5L that takes 5 qt is quite a big sump for it. European vehicles maybe different.
My 09 Mazdaspeed 3 had a 2.3 DI Turbo, took 6 quarts. It was a bit ahead of its time regarding being a DI engine.

With the 9qt capacity of my LS460, Costco full syn at $25 per 10qt is a no-brainer, but being that the additive pack is probably on the low end of the spectrum, how far could I comfortably stretch out the OCI?
I am curious about the comment "additive pack is probably on the low end of the spectrum". Is this known truth of CostCo oils? Or just an assumption based on it being a store brand?
And to answer the question, it depends how the vehicle is used. Nobody can say "run the oil for # miles (or months)" without knowing more than what is stated. The owner's manual is a great place to start, and the UOA suggestion is a good way to get more information on your specific vehicle, oil brand, and usage.

Search the uoa forums for supertech or kirkland oil UOAs. It is the same oil. I have seen up to 10k with no wear issues, but YMMV depending on your city/hwy mileage. It is not bad oil at all. 5k min 10k max and if in doubt, follow your manual.

With the 9qt capacity of my LS460, Costco full syn at $25 per 10qt is a no-brainer, but being that the additive pack is probably on the low end of the spectrum, how far could I comfortably stretch out the OCI?
It is not marketed as an "extended performance" oil. I wouldn't extend the OCI whatsoever. Run it for 4000 to 5000 and accomplish an oil and filter change.

BTW, I actually like Kirkland 5W-30 and use it in my current GM vehicles. In my cheap commuter, a 2.4L DI engine in an AWD Equinox, I've noticed Kirkland 5W-30 starting to be "consumed" or "burned" about 500 miles earlier than QSUD, Rotella GT, or Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 oils. Kirkland starts to be used between 2500 and 3000 miles in that 2.4L grinder. So, Kirkland gets changed out a bit earlier than the name-brand oils. YMMV.

Did I mention I like Kirkland? I do. But it has its limitations, like all consumables. Given all this, it's still a good value! Use with confidence, though closely watch how it performs in your application over a least two or three OCI's. Give it a whirl. :)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I'm in the process of moving to 0W-40 oil, Castrol at this point. Though, Mobil-1 isn't out of the question.

I do like Kirkland-branded oil though!

Last edited:
It doesnt matter what brand oil that you use and cost has little to nothing to do with it.
Just use the recommended rated oil that you are supposed too and change the oil when the manual says too.

Back