How far would you stretch a Costco syn 5w20 OCI?

With the 9qt capacity of my LS460, Costco full syn at $25 per 10qt is a no-brainer, but being that the additive pack is probably on the low end of the spectrum, how far could I comfortably stretch out the OCI?

That depends on how the vehicle is driven. In my neck of the woods and driving conditions I wouldn't run it more than 5K miles. If your driving conditions are good and the trips long enough you can probably go longer.

I'm not a believer in blanket statements, which you might get here, so my recommendation as to how long you can run it would be to get a UOA. Check TBN, and base your OCI on that.

Opinions are aplenty.
Facts? ► Oil analysis including TBN as mentioned above.
+1
Here's my opinion: 5k miles is a safe bet for a naturally aspirated, port injection mill. Start there, and get a UOA before extending the OCI.

You have to look at the rating of the oil ,the owners manual and then the operation and mechanical soundness of the engine.

I agree with Demarpaint.

I have every confidence that you could run that oil with an appropriate filter to manufacturer’s non-severe service OCI no matter how the car is used.

In fact, you could probably do the DNewton extra extended interval if you wanted. For $14 and the most liberal interval suggested by the manufacturer, why bother?

Why dont you see what you can find online in terms of UOAS and take a look?

Depends on many factors. Mostly highway miles, mostly city, 1/2 and 1/2 highway and city, spirited driving, old lady driving? For oil that cheap, 5000 mile OCI would be fine. UOA would give you more info.

To me oil changes are not about just the cost of oil, they are also a time factor where I could be doing something else That I prefer to do. When I drove few miles every year I didn’t mind 5k oil changes That was about annually. Now I can accumulate more than that in 3 months.

if It were my Lexus I would run that oil to 7500-10000 miles depending g on how you accumulate the miles.
I have 10 quarts in my oil cabinet waiting on my Tacoma waiting to hit 7000-7500. due To it Having direct and port injection.

With the 9qt capacity of my LS460, Costco full syn at $25 per 10qt is a no-brainer, but being that the additive pack is probably on the low end of the spectrum, how far could I comfortably stretch out the OCI?

RTexasF said:
Opinions are aplenty.
Facts? ► Oil analysis including TBN as mentioned above.

This, exactly.

Back