How far south do I have to go to get a nice rust-free subframe?

Found a nice one at a pick and pull in Fredericksburg VA. They had 4 cars to choose from. Took over an hour to jack the front end and stack 2 tires under each frame rail to have decent access. Then spent 2 hours pulling the wheels, axle nuts, calipers and brackets, strut to knuckle nuts and plastic panels and fender liners underneath. Will resume tomorrow. Does the engine and transmission have to be supported from the top when dropping the subframe? The mounts at the sides are attached to the body so I don't think so.

Interesting... the pick-n-pull and LKQ that I go to have all the cars jacked up already, usually with wheels off as well. But they probably would have charged a bit more than what you paid.

Looking at the Google maps I'm guessing my local pick n pull and also the lkq self serve have 1200 vehicles each. Lkq is nice because the lot is all concrete. But they have a bogus 20% warranty fee.

How far south do I have to go to get a nice rust-free subframe?​

A lot further than you used to, now that some cousin of a VDOT manager got into the salt business. Seriously, one year the windshield of one of my cars, parked 90 feet away from the street facing the garage, was COVERED with salt and hadn't been driven since before they put the salt down. The road was also white from all the salt they dumped on it.

Back