How far south do I have to go to get a nice rust-free subframe?

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion and the subframe has a hole I can put two fingers into and has surface rust all over it. I'm in the DC area, so how far south do I have to go to find a rust-free replacement? My car was originally from Michigan, so anything even around here would be an improvement, but if I'm going to the trouble of changing it, it should be very nice. Would NC cars be much better than VA cars, assuming they spent all their lives there? No, I'm not paying to have it shipped. Cheaper to drive and pick up, even in North Carolina.

I live near Charleston SC. A problem you might run into is many junkyard vehicles here are rusty hulks from up North - so without knowing the history your still as lost as ever.

I have never seen Road salt in South Carolina except in the Appalachia side. North Carolina I believe is mostly the same way, although around Raleigh I have seen sand and I assume it has some salt in it to keep it from clumping. If I were in DC I think your closest bet would be the NC piedmont or most anywhere in South Carolina East of Greenville and hope its local.

How much $ is in the budget for a replacement? I bough a SUV through Carvana and it spent its whole life in Arizona and they shipped it to the north east for free. The seven day return policy was the icing on the deal. My criteria was like yours- used, but no time spent in the rust belt, I couldn’t think of a better place that fit that than Arizona.

One or all of these Ion candidates would be free of rust if you are willing to pull the subframe yourself or purchase the entire vehicle:

FOSS Auto Recycling Yard

I go to the FOSS location in Chesapeake, VA often (I was there yesterday) and would estimate 90% of the vehicles are local rust free examples.

How much $ is in the budget for a replacement? I bough a SUV through Carvana and it spent its whole life in Arizona and they shipped it to the north east for free. The seven day return policy was the icing on the deal. My criteria was like yours- used, but no time spent in the rust belt, I couldn’t think of a better place that fit that than Arizona.
I see a few on Carparts for $75.

One or all of these Ion candidates would be free of rust if you are willing to pull the subframe yourself or purchase the entire vehicle:

FOSS Auto Recycling Yard

I go to the FOSS location in Chesapeake, VA often (I was there yesterday) and would estimate 90% of the vehicles are local rust free examples.
Good tip. I see 6 Ions at Pick A Part in Fredericksburg I'll check out first.

Not sure but isn’t the Saturn just a rebadged Chevy Cavalier? Maybe same subframe. At least gives you more options.

NC cars are generally rust free, especially compared to VA cars. Most of NC doesnt get snow and when we do only a few roads are brined.

Some of them will get some surface stuff but a wire wheel is the only tool you'll need.

ION is the same as a cobalt, certain years had fully plastic body panels which was ideal when I lived in Buffalo.

The later years had metal body panels to more match the cobalt. My 2003 Ion level 1 had plastic body panels, five speed getrag trans, ecotec 2.2L, and roll up windows. It was the only GM product I've ever owned.

I've lived in Dallas for 10 years and never saw a rusty vehicle unless it was a transplanted vehicle from the north. That's why I've purchased quite a few vehicles from that area. My daughter lives in Phoenix and always texts me photos of old cars that have good bodies on them.

The two cars I got from Raleigh were in great shape.

Those subframes are trash, I'm surprised the car made it this long TBH.

I bet Fedex will take one, unwrapped, with just their tag in a bag ziptied to the thing. Or maybe LKQ is organized enough to freight one to you locally.

Back