How far over the MAX oil fill mark...

I would imaginge if overfilling an oil sump by 1/2 quart was a huge problem, we would hear about it.
Buddy of mine took his XL7 to an indy and was always spot on at oil change time. Scratched my head, because he was always a quart low when I did it. Turns out it was overfilled preemptively. I started doing the same on that thing, perfect every time since 😄.
My IS250 wound put a solid quart of fuel over the winter at times, no issues related to that, other than draining the oil via PCV at WOT :cautious:

BMW, for one. I know club members who add 1/2 to a full quart of oil to their cars before track days.
Would you mind naming a couple of them?
As I recall the newer Corvettes do the same thing... Instructions say to drain and refill afterwards.
Obviously too much will allow the crankshaft to wip the oil into foam...

Maybe the ops predates it but I thought most modern VW would trigger a light if you over fill.

Most owners manuals of recent vintage I have read (Ford and VW) say to keep oil in the crosshatch or “Safe” zone and not to add until/unless it drops into the ADD area. So that’s what I would do.

While one oci is unlikely to kill it I would lower the level to the proper range myself.

BMW, for one. I know club members who add 1/2 to a full quart of oil to their cars before track days.

Not to be anal, but which model BMW, which year? My Mini manual doesn't say anything like this. Would anyone here take responsibility for those general recommendations given?

Not to be anal, but which model BMW, which year? My Mini manual doesn't say anything like this. Would anyone here take responsibility for those general recommendations given?
2 and 3 series with the N5x engines. The sump isn't baffled enough to prevent oil starvation in high G turns.

Back