How Far Have You Had to Walk a Disabled Bike?

I've had a few double-flat rides, especially when I didn't find the microscopic shard of glass still stuck in the tire from the first flat. I carry a spare tube and a patch kit.

Longest walk was supposed to be 9 miles. I had a sidewall blowout and did not have a spare tire. I walked for about a mile until I remembered my Boy Scout days: Put a $1 bill inside the tire over the hole, pumped about 25 lbs. or so into the tube, and carefully rode it back to the car.

I ripped the derailleur hanger off once when a branch got stuck in there, ripped out a few spokes too. I was able to shorten the chain and wrap the broken spokes around the other spoke so I could ride out of the woods as a single speed, but it would have been about a 5 mile walk.

I'm afraid to even type these words, but in over 100K miles of riding--never! A couple of close calls and memorable incidents:

-training with a teammate and got hit head-on by a car. His bike was destroyed, but his front wheel was fine. My bike was fine, but my front wheel was destroyed. I grabbed his wheel and rode to get a car to pick him up. Amazingly, we were both mostly OK.

-broke a chain on my mtb in the middle of nowhere, mid-week. Somehow, my chain tool migrated out of my bag. Amazingly, ran into one guy on the trail, and he had a chain tool (this is the ONLY time I ever needed a chain tool, despite carrying one 99% of the time..go figure).

-triple-flatted 12 miles from home, had one tube... rode 2 rims, on wheels I just built. Stood almost the entire way so I didn't destroy the back wheel. Legs were wrecked for days.

I did disable a couple of bikes in race crashes, but those were times I ended up getting conveniently transported via ambulance...

I will say my willingness to ride the rim have a lot to do with the fact that I haven't been stranded. Since I've been running tubeless, I don't even bother carrying a tube unless I'm going on a long ride. It's been over 15K miles since my last flat that didn't seal up on its own.

A year or so back, I got 3 flats on the same ride, over about 50 miles. That was on Vittoria Corsa G+ tires. They were fast tires but fragile, like racing road tires from the 1980s. When I got home I swapped them with Conti GP5000 tires. They feel just as fast yet much more robust.

I carry a spare tube, patch kit with thin film inserts that can fit between the tube & tire to prevent a slashed tire from splitting under pressure so it is ridable. Among other tools & stuff. Ironically, the only time I had to walk out due to flats was on my tubeless MTB, when I got a flat that tore a 2" gash in the tire, sealant spewed everywhere. No way to fix it, no way to patch it. Even the spare tube was useless cuz the tire was so catastrophically torn.

This won't be the longest distance claimed, but maybe the longest for an incident that occurred this week. Monday the chain-tensioning spring in my rear derailleur snapped. I walked most of the next ~3.5 miles, the uphill parts.

That derailleur lasted only about 82k miles, compared to 145k on the previous one on the same bike before its shift spring broke. That time I was able to ride back, but with no shifting.

... That derailleur lasted only about 82k miles, compared to 145k on the previous one on the same bike before its shift spring broke. That time I was able to ride back, but with no shifting.
Did you ride all those miles? That's about 50 years of bike riding at 100 miles per week!

:ROFLMAO:
1634416410020.jpeg
This guy walks his bike everywhere .

About 5 miles.. derailleur decided to let go on some rough ice. Good thing I was on ice since the tire locked up, those studded tires would of put me over the handlebars. Pushed it some and rode it down the hills some. I have been picked up a couples times.. killed one bike it wasn't going anywhere, and another time got a nail clear through the tire and rim.

Back