How does one become "non-hypertensive"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I had just the opposite happen to me. I have always had super low bloodpressure 114/64. Even when I went from exerciseing like a mad man to a fat coach patato i neverhad blood pressure issues. I even smoked 3 packs a day for ten years and had no blood pressure issues. Then 8 years after i quite smokeing I get high blood pressure. I got flu like symptoms and ran a tempature for three days. I felt like death warmed over and did not leave the house. I called my Dr. on day three and on day four I went to see him. I was feeling a lot better but wanted him to have a look at me since I did not feel right. Low and behold my blood pressure was 180 over 94. He was not too concerned since he thought it was just from an infection and that if he treated the infection I would be ok. I have detailed medical records since I have always had good insurance until a month ago. I also kept track of my blood pressure since I was about 12 when my Dad developed High Blood Pressure. I just got in the habit of doing it weekly from 12 to 33 year of age. Now I do it ever other day. So the infection what ever it was went away and I still had the high blood pressure. He had to try many different things before he found a drug that really worked well.

have you been takeing a lot of anti-inflamatories like asprin,alieve etc.... becuase if the blood vessels are inflamed it can cause BP issues. take away the inflamation and wam you ae good to go.

One side effect of my blood pressure medicine was/is that I stopped having vascular headaches (migraine/cluster). I wonder if they'll return
confused.gif

Daughter just checked my (nursing student) 135/80. Now if I can just get the sleep apnea worked out I can endure the revolution. Maybe I can get the Darth Vader package (when you talk with the full mask on ..it sounds not unlike Darth Vader - the only thing missing is the breathing sound while talking).

Yeah I went into the VA complaining about a cramp in my lower left leg that would never seem to go away. They sent me to the ultra-sound technician to get scanned. They then told me I had 4 clots in my lower left leg. They put me on Coumadin for 6 months. They told me that once these clots are dissolved and if I ever developed any further clots, they would then put me back on the Coumadin for the rest of my life.
shocked.gif

Some subtle looking differences in lifestyle can make a big difference. Looking at general attributes for a long life, one that seems to pop up often is being flexible. If veins start bulging on your forehead as you read or watch the news, consider what you can really do about it.

Evidently one of the early studies on heart disease was based upon the observation that conductors on doubledecked buses in London typically lived longer than drivers; merely walking around and checking tickets made the difference. Another one looked at why longshoreman in ye olden days often had a decent life span, in spite of what would normally be considered a poor diet, excessive drinking, and often looking overweight; lifting lots of things made for a healthier heart.

Life spans in Russia are dropping, lots of drinking, stress, etc., but another factor might be cultural. My wife works with a Russian who is a translator, and when my wife asked about the typically dour expressions the coworker said that if you smile a lot you're considered a moron.

Be happy, and remember that Happy Hamster says that when life gives you lemons, make lemonade :^)

Be happy :^)

I must admit that not too much gets me cranked up anymore. I may spout off a passionate outrage in rhetorical display ..but behind it is pretty much a flat resignation (not to be equated to (not so) quiet desperation). That is, even if I'm on a soapbox ..I'm not blowing a gasket in my
1106.gif
..there's usually a big smile on my face. Maybe it's just down to there not being too much that surprises me anymore. No surprises? No stress (YMMV-I imagine if the electric chair or lethal injection isn't a surprise to you - this may not apply).

Quote:

cute, my stepdad does smoke 3 packs a day! he is right about 70, and doesnt have cancer or any smoking related illness. hes been smoking this much for atleast 30 years.

Neighbors Dad smoked unfiltered cigarettes for 30 years at 3 packs a day. Just diagnosed with a VERY fast growing lung cancer. CAT scans are pending but if it is in his brain, he has around 6 months to live. Another neighbor who works in the ER saw a similiar cancer take an otherwise healthy young man in 3 weeks. Goes to show that one never knows.

Quote:

How is this possible? I'm the same lazy sack of dung I always was (I always kept myself in reserve ...just in case the light work got out of hand)

If you want to cure hypertension, well, judging from your description of yourself, try the classic cure: eat right, exercise, and lose weight (via the "eat less, move more" method).

Worked for me, and is an ongoing process, and I've never been one of those skinny little guys. My preferred method of exericse is with kettlebells (www.russiankettlebells.com), with sandbag workouts coming this fall. Of course, depending on particular medical conditions medication may still be needed.

you mention in your OP that youre a large person. Im not that big, Im not a bodybuilder, etc., butmy arm doesnt fit into the standard cuff either...

I found that going from the standard to large cuff for my BP readings changed the reading from slightly elevated to normal.

JMH

Quote:

Quote:

How is this possible? I'm the same lazy sack of dung I always was (I always kept myself in reserve ...just in case the light work got out of hand)

If you want to cure hypertension, well, judging from your description of yourself, try the classic cure: eat right, exercise, and lose weight (via the "eat less, move more" method).

Worked for me, and is an ongoing process, and I've never been one of those skinny little guys. My preferred method of exericse is with kettlebells (www.russiankettlebells.com), with sandbag workouts coming this fall. Of course, depending on particular medical conditions medication may still be needed.

Well, no ...I don't need to know "a cure" ..since I've already stumbled across it for no good darn reason by accident. I now have routine normal bp readings.

..but thanks for the adivce..

Again, I'm no "butterball" ..although I qualify as morbidly obese. No one would guess that looking at me ..or at least knowing my physical history. I'm very much a mutant in this regard.

Keep in mind that the ideal weight for someone my height (6'.5" - 6'1" depending on time of day) is around 188. A weight that I haven't had since age 16.

All of the doctors that setup these "norms" have to be the most emaciated geezers on the planet. All of them must look like Barny Fife or (for the real geezers) Mr. Peepers (Wally Cox). Perhaps a post HIV Rock Hudson.

Now if you happen to naturally have this type of physique ..fine ..but I don't really think that anything about it can be considered "normal" for everybody.

That is, most of you, even those in good shape, are over weight ..and many to the point of being obese. You don't even know it.

Quote:

That is, most of you, even those in good shape, are over weight ..and many to the point of being obese. You don't even know it.

That is really true. I was a high school and college athlete, in good shape to this day. More muscle than fat by a long shot, and yet by the standard charts, I'd be a flunkee...

Yet with a very low body fat and a resting heart rate of about 42, I cant see how Im really that unhealthy.

Just goes to show that the charts are iffy at best...

JMH

Well, JHZR2, you'll gain weight in terms of muscle mass ...it is the heaviest tissue. Now whether it remains lean and healthy muscle ..or turns into a marbled beef like tissue is dependent upon your physical activity level. I don't have a whole lot of surface body fat (as one would measure with a caliper). Surely there's some chicken fat in a couple of spots (fat aprons that everyone has to protect the vital organs) that may be a bit bigger than others ..but for the most part ..the weight resides in muscle.

Keep them tuned, my friend
smile.gif

"More muscle than fat by a long shot, and yet by the standard charts, I'd be a flunkee..."

The nurse who came out to do a physical when I signed up for some additional life insurance checked waist and chest differences in addition to weight, which makes sense to me. Single value 'body mass index' seems lame.

Quote:

Single value 'body mass index' seems lame.

It is ..but it serves to place more people in "at risk" status. Keep in mind that those who spec these thresholds are the absolute leanest clinicians that the medical community can find. I'll never meet their criteria outside of a concentration camp and will always be at some level of managed risk. They appear to like it that way.

You'll note that there's a higher benchmark employed for "norms" in bp and AIC blood sugar tolerances. Obviously, too many were meeting the old standards and therfore, we need to improve them. I wonder how so many brilliant doctors and researchers were so absolutely wrong for multiple decades and now finally see their ultimate stupidity and ignorance. I anticipate more defects that will require much more treatment for otherwise (formerly) perfectly upright and normal states of physical condition.

The fix is in.

Gary,
you're onto something here.

When my Dad was managed down to 125/80 (the "target"), he felt pretty good. Doc then decided to get "aggressive" and head for a lower target. Same with my FIL's cholesterol. It's been managed into the "acceptable" range, now doc wants more.

There must be a BITOG for physicians where they play a game of "top this" in terms of what hoops they can pull off on us. "Look at this guy's UBA!"

In this case, the bean counters would look to find more money to make ..not figure ways to cut costs ...at least while there's still more to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back