How does oil make and engine sound louder???

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a variety of theories, most seem to stem from the "synthetic is thinner" viewpoint:

* Thinner oil transmits more sound from the engine
* Thinner oil does not pump up hydraulic lifters at idle
* Thinner oil does not provide as much "cushioning" at idle

Another set of theories around the "synthetic higher detergency properties":

* More detergent, cleans sludge/crud away that was absorbing the sounds before.

From the M1 is swill school of thought, M1 has gone to Group III and is no longer any good. :) Just threw this in to poke the M1 haters.

From the mental school, you change the oil, you listen "real close" for any sound. And, vola! Sound you hear. Of course the sounds were there all along, just no one was paying attention.

Lastly, could be a combination of all of the above.

M1 is no longer as thin as it use to be, in fact, it's thicker than most of the equivalent grade dinos, so throw out all your thin related theories.

Code:

Calculated Kinematic Viscosity in cSt, Temps in Centigrade

T(C) M1 SL 5w30 * M1 SM 5w30

-20° 2087 2604

-10° 890 1107

0° 429 531

10° 228 281

20° 132 161

30° 82 99

40° 53.7 64.8

50° 37.1 44.4

60° 26.7 31.7

70° 19.9 23.5

80° 15.3 18.0

90° 12.0 14.1

100° 9.7 11.3

I'm of the opinion it's related to the acoustic properties of the basestocks such as the transmission, reflection, and an attenuation coefficients and acoustic impedance matching to surrounding metal.

(AN for ma nizzle, JAG)

I am not sure but get a small four cylinder such as a Geo/Chevy Metro and run Mobil 1 5W-30 for a week and then put it Redline 5W-30 and listen to belts whirr as that is now most of the noise. Run it for a week 5K, &K what ever and then put fresh Mobil1 back in and voila all the engine noise is back. It happens. Also found 5W-50 to cause that too.

As far as Mobil being louder than Dino not ever noticed that. Other synthetics, Redline is not the only one, I have notice are a bit to a lot quieter than Mobil1.

Quote:

i use supertech synthetic engine does sound a little louder than when i used to use dino

I wonder how much the roughly 20 -25 % of the oil we all buy and use that the API tells us doesn't meet spec affects
this and other issues . Quietier , louder , the same ?
confused.gif

Note to self : it's good being a mushroom and it's OK if the fox guards the Hen House .
banana.gif

Quote:

From the M1 is swill school of thought, M1 has gone to Group III and is no longer any good. :) Just threw this in to poke the M1 haters.

Can you prove that? Seems the guy who started all the commotion on this has cleverly disappeared.

Last time we heard from him, there was speculation that a couple of the Mobil-1 weights contained a "minority" amount of Group III.

I don;t recall anyone saying it was all Group III.

Quote:

Quote:

Can you prove that? Seems the guy who started all the commotion on this has cleverly disappeared.

Last time we heard from him, there was speculation that a couple of the Mobil-1 weights contained a "minority" amount of Group III.

I don;t recall anyone saying it was all Group III.

Man, you must of missed all the threads where this was discussed.

He stated his analysis showed majority group III basestock in three different samples of three different grades over a two year period.

He hasn't disappeared, but thanks to the shenanigans of retired EOM employee, his freedom of speech has been severely hampered.

Now the EOM sales rep who said he would prove him wrong...now that is the guy who disappeared. Hmmm.

Once again, he is having it tested but the Lab is backed up. The guy who tested the Mobil 1, still uses M1. M1 EP is mostly all Group III regardless of what the dopes at Mobil tech will tell you. Not sure about the regular stuff. I just hope George comes through and is honest about what the Lab finds.

""I'm of the opinion it's related to the acoustic properties of the basestocks such as the transmission, reflection, and an attenuation coefficients and acoustic impedance matching to surrounding metal.""

Have no clue what that means ans is as good as any answer.

Me if there is any change in sound I would say 2 things.

1 PAO,GPII,GPIII base oils are lousy metal wetters and as such MAY affect the oil film formation.

2 EHL again PAO,GPIII,GPII are lousy at this and may mean a thinner oil film fomed and thus higher trasmites noise.

3 I have no idea. just turn raido up higher.

bruce

laugh.gif
Last I checked the head was still intact!

Seriously though, I use M1 simply because I prefer major brand oils with API certification, and I like the base oil mix in the M1.

Back into hiding.
smile.gif

Quote:

laugh.gif
Last I checked the head was still intact!

Seriously though, I use M1 simply because I prefer major brand oils with API certification, and I like the base oil mix in the M1.

Back into hiding.
smile.gif

Ah ha! I knew that would get you to post. You're too easy to play, Tom.
wink.gif
grin.gif

I don't know but I do know it's true. Especially with my Harley air cooled vtwin engine. Used the Harley Citgo 20w50 synthetic all kinds of upper engine noise and valve clatter under acceleration. Switched to Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 and all the noise is gone and the engine runs smoother. Try a different brand.

BTW.....my 06 yukon 6.0L Vortec is quieter on PP than M-1, same for my daughters 02 Honda CRV

with my 04 sti, which has been on a steady diet of GC, now runs Redline 10w40 and idles so smooth that i think the engine has shut off. Also, back on topic, when cruising it sounds like i changed the exhaust to something more throaty.

Quote:

I'm of the opinion it's related to the acoustic properties of the basestocks such as the transmission, reflection, and an attenuation coefficients and acoustic impedance matching to surrounding metal.

That's a mouthful. I blame tinnitus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back