How does Dexos 2 compare to A5/B5?

OK I'll look for that when I scan Aftons.

I’ve never seen a Dexos2 oil that wasn’t also ACEA C3, you always get both as far as I can see.

Many Euro OEM specs start by saying the oil must first meet a certain ACEA spec, then they add multipe additional requirements on top of that. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: SR5
I saw that. The VW 507.00 spec, for instance, requires C3 certification, as well as 11% NOACK volatility maximum.

I’ve never seen a Dexos2 oil that wasn’t also ACEA C3, you always get both as far as I can see.

Many Euro OEM specs start by saying the oil must first meet a certain ACEA spec, then they add multipe additional requirements on top of that. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: SR5

Yep, it is based on C3. It was introduced first in Europe to meet requirements of Opel/Vauxhall diesel cars.

I've used it incorrectly in the past too... ;)

View attachment 45091

View attachment 45092

I suspect that statement you circled is mainly to protect against legal liability (e.g. one brand disputing the rating of another brand). Clearly they do have criteria for comparing between brands, otherwise why wouldn't each brand have a top rated entry, meaning top entry for that brand? Or why are there only a couple of brands that achieve a top rating for wear?

It makes no mention of, nor does it really have anything to do with brands. It's all about certifications and approvals, of which most brands have various products which comply with one or more.

Last edited:
Back