How do you seal up Christmas light ends?

JHZR2

Staff member
Kids want more Christmas lights… like the hanging ones from the lower roof and some red and green ones from the upper. we put up lights, but all from the ground, none on gutters, etc.

To make the right width I need to join strings. And I’ll have a female termination at one end, all attached to gutters where there’s more risk of water and snow.

Im thinking to coat with dielectric grease, ensure all female ends are pointed down, and tape around any joints. Also, since the lines are longer on the connections between, and I want relatively even spacing, I’ll also figure how to hang the plug in the middle, so it’s beneath the soffit, not in the gutter.

Of course all our lights are on a GFCI.

Any recommendations? Just want to use good practices since these will be on our house, versus wrapping railings, fences, etc.

Thanks!

I've never tried to seal the ends and never had a problem. I don't recall any having instructions that stated they needed it. My lights are well over a decade old too, so corrosion doesn't seem to be a factor. Could some freak event make them electrically unsafe? Again I've never had a problem, though the prior neighbors' mischevious kid might have had a minor surprise problem once when he cut one. I do have them on GFCI circuits.

Last edited:
Taping them up will keep water in after they've normally dried, so I wouldn't do that.

The grease is a good idea, otherwise, let them be.

Without salt or other ions in water the resistance is high enough you won't have problems. Of course the GFI is a good idea too.

Your awareness of safety puts you ahead of 90% of the lights decorators and when you watch the news you almost never see a place burning down or a person getting shocked... and there's some sketchy stuff out there.

Never done anything over the years. I suspect by the time the wire has enough corrosion on the inside of them that the string will be done: with the move to LED lights I'm not sure if it's worth aiming for long term life. Not when you can buy them on closeout if you wait until after the holidays.

Back