How do you scratch the new car itch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife squashes whatever itch I have with a hammer. She wants the house paid off (this year) and money in the bank. The Focus is a ongoing mess and with the recent Escape issue I'd like to get her something newer, I'd like to have some of the new tech such as bluetooth and adaptive cruise control. But we don't drive but 5-6k per vehicle and I ride the bike everyday so they should last quite a bit longer if I feel like fixing on occasion, and she's still ok with what we have. We haven't had a car payment in 7 years, the RV was paid off 3 years ago, so whatever we get will be paid for with cash. Although recently she's asked me when I'm going to buy another bicycle.. lol, really don't need another though.. she's a keeper!

My wife saw I was looking at a 370Z and told me that I should go ahead and get a two seater as we already had a couple of cars the could carry a couple of people. The 370Z deal fizzled but I still have a green light if something interesting turns up.

Originally Posted by supton
What do you guys do to avoid trading excessively? Do you just keep modifying your car, keep changing it into something slightly enough different?

A reliable and capable vehicle is a necessity for many of us. A new car purchased right and kept for a while is always ok. I don't see cars as status symbols, I see them as fun to use tools. As such, I don't believe in cars that don't provide driving pleasure. Quite often an old and tired vehicle is just no fun anymore.

I think I might switch to driving my truck for the next week, see what that is like. I slowed down on my commute last week, as I think the car has some droning that might not be in the audible range--or outside of what I can hear--for the last year I've been fighting hearing loss and I swear, it wasn't bad over the Christmas break--when I wasn't driving my car. Anyhow, while driving at sane speeds I noticed that my car has vibrations that come and go, one at 25mph, another around 70 (let alone everything above that). I wonder if that is not wearing on me. I also tried wearing earplugs yesterday (yes illegal I know) and I think it too made a difference. The truck itself has its own issues (tires flat spot, although sometimes I think u-joint) and of course would cost an extra $40 per week in gas.

Originally Posted by supton
I think I might switch to driving my truck for the next week, see what that is like. I slowed down on my commute last week, as I think the car has some droning that might not be in the audible range--or outside of what I can hear--for the last year I've been fighting hearing loss and I swear, it wasn't bad over the Christmas break--when I wasn't driving my car. Anyhow, while driving at sane speeds I noticed that my car has vibrations that come and go, one at 25mph, another around 70 (let alone everything above that). I wonder if that is not wearing on me. I also tried wearing earplugs yesterday (yes illegal I know) and I think it too made a difference. The truck itself has its own issues (tires flat spot, although sometimes I think u-joint) and of course would cost an extra $40 per week in gas.

Definitely an advantage to having an extra vehicle, I try and switch it up as much as I can to not get bored with one. During good weather I'll take the GTI out, but that's few and far between during the winter around here. They seem to keep salt on the mountain all winter long, dry or wet. Although I find myself in the truck more often than not, I've put on 10K miles since April. Uses more fuel (21 in the truck vs 35ish in the VW), but still only around $30-$35 a week. Been debating dumping the VW for a little bit now; I find myself liking to drive the truck more.

1. you buy a new car
2.you don't buy a car and sing th old time hit "Money in the bank"
3.you buy a new-ish car. Demo/loaning car works too
4.you get a better used car (with the wish list checked)
5.you get a really used car
6.you keep what you have
7.you keep what you have and repair it in tip-top shape, even if it has 400k miles
8.You take a trip south and rent a vroom-vroom car. Find an empty parking lot.

I have no advice because i myself have no defense if the new car itch strikes me. It doesn't real often. Average about 9 yrs of ownership. Had the Forester just short of 11 yrs. But the itch struck, aggravated by wife getting a new one and the New Car Smell of hers was too intoxicating I guess. Before I knew it, had the "I wants" for something new. Ended up being a truck. Under utilized. But it makes me happy.

I say it depends on your age a bit too. If you're older like me, might as well enjoy a new vehicle if you can, life's short.

I ain't buying no more cars!
Except Sue asked me about a Model Y on the way home from Costco...
Somebody stop me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I ain't buying no more cars!
Except Sue asked me about a Model Y on the way home from Costco...
Somebody stop me!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, my wife saw the Y and was like "BUY IT!"
smirk.gif

I hate to admit it, but the itch hits me after I've owned a vehicle for 18 months. I learned this over time. Then it stays until I buy something else. The thing that keeps me from buying again and again is knowing that in 18 months, I'll be "bored" with this one too. They never live up to the promise they offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back