How do you regularly track a mutual fund?

I use Fidelity for my retirement. They have details on the mutual fund that is more than the average person would care about. I personally want to know what is in the fund, what are the expenses of the fund and what is the historical performance.

That being said I use the Apple stock app to watch the market daily and my mutual funds update overnight on there.

Just my $0.02
Be little careful making decisions based on historical performance. Past performance of any MF or stock is not guarantee of future results or that it will do as well as it did in the past. In my 40+ years of investing I misjudged that more than once.

Is there a website or, more likely, a software application that allows you to track a mutual fund
Can you be more specific. I use Stockcharts.com for technical analysis but my broker shows a gain or loss on my stocks. What exactly are you looking for ?

Last edited:
On your brokerage account, click the Cost Basis tab and it will show the gains / loss.

Fidelity is the better platform for investors.

Last edited:
I just go into my Vanguard account and look at the performance. I don’t do it that often, otherwise I’d be moving my stuff all around all the time. And that can be a huge mistake.

I’ll tell yeah, real strange market the last few years. And this year should have some real ups and downs. The stimulus package should help...and the vaccine and potential reopening, but the economy is so bad, rates are going back up...it could go either way.

I just go into my Vanguard account and look at the performance. I don’t do it that often, otherwise I’d be moving my stuff all around all the time. And that can be a huge mistake.

I’ll tell yeah, real strange market the last few years. And this year should have some real ups and downs. The stimulus package should help...and the vaccine and potential reopening, but the economy is so bad, rates are going back up...it could go either way.

The economy is so bad ?

Lots of folks say everything is sunshine and roses.

I should add that this comment only applies to index mutual funds.

My previous comments about mutual funds still apply to other mutual funds. Very few keep up with the relevant index after fees. And while a few mutual funds will perform better than the index - you can't tell which ones in advance.

Meanwhile I'm leaving a lot of my money in non-index mutual funds. The performance of these particular mutual funds isn't terrible and I'd have to pay large amounts of capital gains taxes to get my money out. So I'm trapped in other words.

But if I was starting out again it would be with broad based, low cost index ETFs (or as pointed out by Wolf359 - in carefully selected broad based, very low cost, index mutual funds).

The ETFs wouldn't do me any good. I bought Vanguard Index 500 funds before the Admiral shares were available. Those were under $100 a share back in the late 90's. Never sold them, still have them, went through 3 cycles, dot com bust, bank bust and last year's bust. Only advantage I can see to the ETF is if you want to sell them during the day instead of waiting til the end of the day to get your price.

Be little careful making decisions based on historical performance. Past performance of any MF or stock is not guarantee of future results or that it will do as well as it did in the past. In my 40+ years of investing I misjudged that more than once.
Usually there are no guarantees when investing... I use the historical performance in Fidelity to gauge how well a fund did compared to other indexes. It just gives you an idea and I agree it shouldn't be the only reason you invest in a MF.

Just my $0.02

Usually just log in about every 6 months. Birthday month and the one six months after, just to make sure things are on track.

Maybe if the market drops, I buy the dip if I have any cash lying about. But other than that, not often.

Buy and hold is largely my strategy. If I looked everyday I might be a nervous wreck.

I just click on Cost Basis or Unrealized Gains depending on the account.

Market still booming...

Last edited:
I look at the S&P 500 index on the internet, that's all I did because that's the only "fund" I buy. The other I bought are a little international and a little cash to do dollar cost averaging, like 12-25% each.

Back