How do you look for tears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a hole in a purolator that I easily found with a flashlight but was wondering about other tears. I would imagine that many tears aren't visible until oil flow opens them up during use. How can you be sure that there are no tears that aren't obvious without any pressure behind them?

These are the obvious tears that others find. Not the tears that you can't see!

I haven't found a tear in any of my Purolator filters yet and I cut them all open after an OCI!

There is a regular forest of Purolator not torn posts on here now. Doesn't prove a thing against facts that some percentage are tearing though. Some have said to send in your torn Purolator so the company can cut it open, because you aren't qualified, it went that far into lala land. It's pretty simple though, since dozens have been reported torn and torn good, no flashlight needed, don't use that brand.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
There is a regular forest of Purolator not torn posts on here now. Doesn't prove a thing against facts that some percentage are tearing though. Some have said to send in your torn Purolator so the company can cut it open, because you aren't qualified, it went that far into lala land. It's pretty simple though, since dozens have been reported torn and torn good, no flashlight needed, don't use that brand.
There hasn't beeen a single report of engine failure due to a Puro filter, unlike the OCOD which blew up Minimopar's Mopar when it shredded. "Minimopar oil filter study". When someone shows me engine damage related to a Puro, I'll be interested. Meantime... Chirp chirp.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be any failures due to a Purolator tear. But, if I'm paying for 99.9% efficiency, or whatever they advertise, I'm simply not getting it. The PureOne and Bosch Premium have an excellent price for their claimed efficiency. A tear in the media means that efficiency isn't there, unless Purolator tests torn filters, but that's a problem they don't acknowledge. It won't blow up my engine. That being said, I'm not paying for efficiency that clearly might not be there.

When we have a few more Purolators cut open with no tears, and once the Canadian stock (which is usually old, for just about everything aside from HDEO) is depleted, then I'll consider the Bosch Premium et al, once again. Then again, Purolator must do something to make their product much more available up in Canada, aside from rebrands.

Well a lot of the tears I have seen posted looked self induced to me. The material is tight by the seam and doesn't take a big push to tear it. Maybe torn from pushing to look, maybe torn from the cutter hitting it, most likely the tool in my opinion. When I was all done with mine I was able to push the pleats to the side and duplicate the same tears I have seen here. And really wouldn't a tear from pressure be in the inner fold of the pleat, not across it. Im not saying anyone did it on purpose, what I am saying is push the pleats to the side next to the seam and you get the tear that looks same as posted. As far as looking for tears as I said I ran a probe between each pleat, a not sharp aluminum flat probe that I use to remove O-rings and they were all solid. I was going to go get the tears I made out of the trash and post them but the garbage truck just left with them. Really our garbage goes on holidays, every Monday no matter what. Anyway next Pure one I cut I will post it before and if it is fine I will duplicate the tear and post that.

Last edited:
I am also saying any tears posted that were cut with a saw or snips or anything(chainsaw LOL) other than a filter/pipe cutter will be ignored by me. After my experiment I am convinced hitting the pleats next to the seam with anything will result in a tear. And it is possible that some are even made tigher resulting in oil pressure tears which is the real fear.

Originally Posted By: Skanky
Well a lot of the tears I have seen posted looked self induced to me. The material is tight by the seam and doesn't take a big push to tear it. Maybe torn from pushing to look, maybe torn from the cutter hitting it, most likely the tool in my opinion.

Highly doubt it's caused by the people cutting the filters. Even when someone cuts the can on the opposite end of the tear people accuse the person cutting the filter as causing the tear ... really? LoL

When I was all done with mine I was able to push the pleats to the side and duplicate the same tears I have seen here. And really wouldn't a tear from pressure be in the inner fold of the pleat, not across it. Im not saying anyone did it on purpose, what I am saying is push the pleats to the side next to the seam and you get the tear that looks same as posted.

Yes, the media is brittle and the pressure from the oil flow pushing those widely spaced pleats sideways causes the tearing. It's really not that hard to understand.

I am also saying any tears posted that were cut with a saw or snips or anything (chainsaw LOL) other than a filter/pipe cutter will be ignored by me.

Yeah, that's the ticket ...
grin.gif

I think some missed the point of my question. My point was that many tears may not be obvious on simple visual inspection. A small tear may not appear since you cant observe it without flow behind it. IOW, the tear is like a flap that closes without flow.

Only thing you could do is cut the media out carefully so you can flatten it out and look behind it with a strong flashlight to look for small holes or tears. I think if the media was torn or damaged you would see way more light through the damaged area.

How do you check for failures? I think the question is how do you make sure you induce a failure?

First you must use the cheapest Purolator you can find for no less than 10k miles in a beater car with a half dead motor. Then You have to really believe it is torn (the kind of belief that you find in people who have been abducted by UFOs or have seen the lock ness monster) then you must read at least 2 chapters of the Fram handbook and say 10 Hail XGs to repent for your sins of using something not made by Fram, then butcher the can by opening it with all kinds of tools, none of which are made to open oil filters, then if it still isn't torn by then, take a knife and cut it and promptly and post it online so others can join the cult as well...

If none of this works, just consult zeeosix. He will show you the way
whistle.gif

Last edited:
LoL ... JK abducted for some experimentation by the Fram aliens --->
50.gif

I'm just glad that you didn't try and refute my position.

That means that it must have been right on point. Thank you for finally being honest mr 0'6!

Puro tears have been the biggest conspiracy since Roswell. One day the history channel will do a special on it, or Fram will have me assassinated. I should probably start sleeping with one eye open....

Originally Posted By: jk_636

Puro tears have been the biggest conspiracy since Roswell.

LoL ... that was a quick alien abduction trip! Cutting open Purolators is like the Area 51 alien autopsy.

Top 5 false "terrible facts" that ended up nothing more than mass hysteria:

1: Y2K
2: Purolators tearing
3:Artificial sweeteners are safe
4: Margorine is better for you than butter
5: Hybrid cars are better for the environment.

Purolator tears are not a conspiracy. They happen. It happened to me with a pure 1. Best choice is don't buy purolator. Why some on here continue to buy a sub standard cheap filter (all purolators, even the synthetic) then come on this forum and tell others they are fine is still a mystery (agenda pushers, company shill?). Most people pay for a filter, not a partial bypass. Again I had a tear and a failed ADBV with purolator. Never bought one since.

I've never had an issue with a Puro. The only failed filters I've ever had were a couple of Frams (including an Ultra), and some e-cores.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I've never had an issue with a Puro. The only failed filters I've ever had were a couple of Frams (including an Ultra), and some e-cores.

Oh say it isn't so. You are now going to be ostracized from the BITOG community (a future subsidiary of Fram inc. if some get their way..)

For those of you who have experienced "failures" I have to respectfully maintain the position that you ran them too long and would have to question the integrity of your engine, driving habits and dissection techniques before any of these could be considered legitimate.

This is why I said (in jest but the underlying moral of the story is quite evident)

Quote:
"How do you check for failures? I think the question is how do you make sure you induce a failure?

First you must use the cheapest Purolator you can find for no less than 10k miles in a beater car with a half dead motor. Then You have to really believe it is torn (the kind of belief that you find in people who have been abducted by UFOs or have seen the lock ness monster) then you must read at least 2 chapters of the Fram handbook and say 10 Hail XGs to repent for your sins of using something not made by Fram, then butcher the can by opening it with all kinds of tools, none of which are made to open oil filters, then if it still isn't torn by then, take a knife and cut it and promptly and post it online so others can join the cult as well..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back