How do you get dealers to handle intermittent issue under warranty

The law doesn't permit giving the customer a run-around until the warranty runs out. If you have documentation that you reported the problem during the warranty period, they have to cover it eventually even if time or miles run out.
This. Get it documented in writing on their service order letterhead during the warranty period. Then it is legally their problem whether the warranty ran out or not. I’ve done this twice myself and fixed both times even after the warranty was “up” because the problem happened while under warranty.

This is so tough b/c in the end you have to be able to repeat it for them. Dealer techs are paid typically on flat rate so they won't spend a ton of time on diagnosis b/c they won't be paid for it beyond whatever time is allocated. They get your car, have a look, if they can't repeat it, back it goes.

Stop by the dealer's service department then next time it is doing it. Leave the car running and have a "service adviser" and a technician come out to see it doing what it's doing - that way they both can document it doing whatever.

I had to do that a couple of times when our 2004 TrailBlazer was under warranty. One time the Service 4 WD light came on. I called OnStar to see if they could read for any codes, and when they couldn't I drove right to the dealership I was using, left the engine running and had them come out to the TrailBlazer. The technician went back into the shop, came back with a Tech 2, hooked it up and determined it was a module not communicating with the rest of the other modules. I then made an appointment to come back to have the module replaced, and went back to work.

In case you are near me, which dealer was this? I might want to use them sometime.

You can continue to document it and hope it permanently breaks or a the very least stores a code.
Yes, same thing I was going to say. Eventually it will fail hard or permanently and then they can do something. As long as you document that it was happening before warranty expiration, you will be covered. It might take some pushing on your part but you can get it covered.

He also recommended regular throttle body cleaning. Next time I try to get the car look at for the camera, they again try to sell me throttle body cleaning.
Tell 'em you'll pay for the stupid throttle body cleaning if they fix the camera issue 🤣

Back