How do Micro cars stand up to crashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure there are some very small amount of people who are overweight due to real medical conditions such as yourself. My comments are not ignorant, nor is my viewpoint. I do apologize if I touched a nerve, but Americans, in general, are getting fatter and the side effects of the obesity are many nasty "diseases". Most are very controllable.

First google hit: http://www.hc2d.co.uk/content.php?contentId=12054

I am sorry if I offended.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
I thought that the smart car would be neat for "around town" and that it would be easy to park, etc. We're rural with two-lane roads so maybe it would be OK for that. We also thought that a 1.0 liter engine would make for outstanding fuel economy.....

But we looked at the EPA estimates for fuel economy ( 33/41 ) and the Wife's Corolla is 32/38. Also, Smart recommends 91 octane and Ms Corolla runs just fine on the 87 stuff.

And Smart Car acceleration is - - zero to 60 in 12.8 seconds?

Funny you mention...

Philadelphia runs a car share program that my girlfriend used to use. Two nights a week she would commute from the middle of Philly to just outside the city, in rush hour traffic. She said the Smart was the only car she took that had any sort of advantage. Not even the Mini could get her there in under half an hour. In the Smart, she got there in 15 minutes, just because she could fit it through small spots in slow moving traffic.

On the other hand, that is the only convincing argument I have heard in favor of the Smart car. If you think 33/41 vs. 32/38 looks like a small difference, try computing gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon. The difference is insignificant. The Smart is not better in this regard than a lot of cars that are faster, roomier, cheaper, safer at high speeds, and better on the highway.

IMO the Smart is pretty much exclusively an around-town runabout, a fashion accessory, and a novelty item.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I have mixed feelings about this. Back in the 60's and 70's I drove Austin Healy Sprites, MG Midgets, and VW Beetles and never gave it much concern. Back then, everything was 10X bigger than what I drove.

And thankfully none of those bigger cars ever hit you or you would not be here today to give us such great info.
thumbsup2.gif

These little 2 seat cars are not only a death trap but frankly they are too small for many people to even get into let alone drive. At 6' 3" and 300lbs you can forget about me every having one. I wouldn't anyway but the bottom line is I would not fit. The US is a nation of large annd tall folks so these cars are not the answer for a lot of folks. I can't get into a Mini Cooper so no way I can one of these little 2 seat Tonka Toys they are trying to bring to market. My size 16 EEEE( that is correct no typo )shoe is bigger.

Size 16 EEEE. Thats what I call a good foundation.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I have mixed feelings about this. Back in the 60's and 70's I drove Austin Healey Sprites, MG Midgets, and VW Beetles and never gave it much concern. Back then, everything was 10X bigger than what I drove.

I know where you are saying and at one time I thought I was invincible. Back in my younger day I drove a motorcycle and did things on it I shouldn't have. I used to have a '66 Mustang with the 140 mph speedo that I would try to bury any chance I could. I also had a '71 Fiat 850 convertible that I am so very glad I was never in an accident with because that car had less protection than a gum wrapper.
Now I'm older with a wife and kids that I think about. Usually any crazy stuff that I do now is off-highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Sure there are some very small amount of people who are overweight due to real medical conditions such as yourself. My comments are not ignorant, nor is my viewpoint. I do apologize if I touched a nerve, but Americans, in general, are getting fatter and the side effects of the obesity are many nasty "diseases". Most are very controllable.

First google hit: http://www.hc2d.co.uk/content.php?contentId=12054

I am sorry if I offended.

+1 very true. The exceptions, which I would say you are, are exceptions for a reason - they are not the rule. It stinks when the exceptions are offended - my apologies for that.

It still does not make the reality of most of the situations any less/more real.

These little 2 seat cars are not only a death trap but frankly they are too small for many people to even get into let alone drive. At 6' 3" and 300lbs you can forget about me every having one. I wouldn't anyway but the bottom line is I would not fit. The US is a nation of large annd tall folks so these cars are not the answer for a lot of folks. I can't get into a Mini Cooper so no way I can one of these little 2 seat Tonka Toys they are trying to bring to market. My size 16 EEEE( that is correct no typo )shoe is bigger.

You might be surprised. The Smart actually has roomier passenger cabin dimensions than many much larger cars. Take a look at the two ads named "Big Man" and "Roomy", at smartTV.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The US is a nation of large annd tall folks so these cars are not the answer for a lot of folks.

The US is a nation of unhealthy and obese folks... that is the problem. We're not all natural giants. anyone in their right mind would not make them interchangeable.

LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif
shocked2.gif
36.gif
35.gif

So true - and we seem to be getting even FATTER if you can believe that. At least around here. Just about every person is FAT when I roam the streets and stores....I mean maybe one in 50 doesn't have some extra chub, but most have a balloon gut, and tons are morbidly obese. I used to ask: "What do these people eat?" My wife simply answerd once: "Everything".

Very ignorant comments. While many obese people are that way because of their eating habits not all are. That is like saying everyone who drinks is an alcoholic or drunk driver. Just ignorant.

I have spent a lifetime in a "battle of the bulge" and it sure as heck is NOT because of what I eat. I eat less in a day I would wager than Pablo's wife and it is probably healthier. I also have worked new home construction for a living for over 15 years so it isn't like I sat around doing nothing either. I was active and my hobbies involved outdoor physical activities like hunting and fishing.

I actually managed to drop from 500 to 300 back in 04-05 and held it until about a year ago but I am now creeping back up despite eating one meal a day consisting of veggies and lean meat with no sugar, fats, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc... I actually have spent thousands of dollars having test after test done and am now seeing an Endocrinologist to try and figure out why my body turns everything I eat to fat.

It really tricks me off when people who are lucky enough to be predisposed to be skinny think every overweight person is that way by their own doing. Just ignorant! Many obese people work very hard at trying to lose weight but their body will not allow it. To say they are fat because they eat everything, about every obese person you see, is so ridiculos it is not funny. Unless you see that person sitting down with their face full of greasy fried chicken and fries you have NO IDEA why they are overweight so reserve judgement.

I also was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis so that means my ability to excersiise is going to be compromised. How am I to lose weight eating once a day and unable to excersise? Will you guys still laugh at me and say it is all my fault? You may have meant no harm by your comments but trust me they are extremely hurtful and very inaccurate if applied to every obese person you see.

Your eating habits are not helping you manage your weight. Most diet professionals aknowledge that eating 3-6 small meals a day is the key to weight loss.

Eating one meal a day, and starving your self the rest of the time, causes your body to 'shut down' and not burn calories, in order to keep it alive.

You need to learn how to diet/eat properly. You're not the only one - most people do this, and wonder why they don't lose weight.

Not criticizing, just trying to help......

I take my Fit out on the interstate every day. Mileage is great. Typically I range between 35 and 40 mpg on a tank of regular. Do I feel unsafe? Nope. I can't say I'd feel the same in a kei car or any other small car. But for my driving habits and route, it's no problem. And really, with all my driving being at 65 mph or greater, are there ANY fuel efficient cars that are going to be stellar in something like a head on crash? Best thing you can do is avoid them and pray. Keep a good distance between you and the next car when possible. Stay alert. Put down the cell phone.

In my near ten years of commuting an hour back and forth (three different jobs), I've seen plenty of squashed semis, squashed full sized trucks, squashed sedans, squashed wagons, squashed SUVs...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
A PM might have been better for that kind of post.
wink.gif

I disagree. Addyguy's information was correct and I'm sure that there are a lot of posters here that could stand to read the information he provided.

It's a discussion forum, not a PM forum.

These little 2 seat cars are not only a death trap but frankly they are too small for many people to even get into let alone drive. At 6' 3" and 300lbs you can forget about me every having one. I wouldn't anyway but the bottom line is I would not fit.

I'm 6'2", 200 lbs, and I drive a Metro. I fit just fine.
21.gif

Why not get a Prius? They get better mileage than these micro cars and are more practical and safer.

I joked with my friend that in a head-on collision with a Smart, a bicycle has a 50/50 chance of coming out ahead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Your eating habits are not helping you manage your weight. Most diet professionals aknowledge that eating 3-6 small meals a day is the key to weight loss.

Eating one meal a day, and starving your self the rest of the time, causes your body to 'shut down' and not burn calories, in order to keep it alive.

You need to learn how to diet/eat properly. You're not the only one - most people do this, and wonder why they don't lose weight.

Not criticizing, just trying to help......

I have been down this road with countless people. I have actually worked with doctors and nutritionists following this or that diet and always being told you have to eat more. Every time I do weight flies on. The ONLY way I have ever been able to drop weight is to eat once a day period and keep it small portions. Even that now is not working.

I can not eat 3 meals a day even if they are small. Weight flies on like I am gorging on candy 24/7. I am now down to an Endocrinologist to try and find out what is going on( not thyroid related according to blood work anyway ). This could even be MS related in some weird way. No one seems to have a clue?

Had to drive to Ft. Worth today at lunch. About 3.5hrs. Filled up when I left out. Pulling into downtown-50.3 mpg...

I'd better not write what I think about "health care" here, but I'll risk writing something you probably already know: Take your health into your own hands the best you can. Do your own research. Don't be afraid to learn something from alternative medicine, there are a few gems buried in some models. Don't expect the medical professionals to solve your health problems. They might, but if your case doesn't fit their recipes they are likely to fail. And while they are failing you will continue to suffer, and your wallet will run dry into their hands.

I must add, you could be heavy yet fit and healthy, and thus far better off than a slim person who doesn't eat well and get enough exercise.

There are a goodly number of small cars out there that do just fine in real-world crashes and get very good mileage. And for a commuter box, you don't need 8 cylinders and 33 inch mudders. Save that for your weekend offroading toy.

My fiancee is getting over 40 mpg highway in her 09 Fit Sport AT with very little effort beyond not speeding excessively.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Had to drive to Ft. Worth today at lunch. About 3.5hrs. Filled up when I left out. Pulling into downtown-50.3 mpg...

That IS good... but what did you do? drive 55 the whole way?

35-40 MPG for a fit is poor, yet it is what the EPA says and what most seem to get. For that mileage, and especially since diesel is now cheaper than regular again (as it should be), I'd be taking a diesel jetta, or a diesel jetta wagon if I need a lot of space, and have it all.

The big problem, IMO, is that people want a crotch rocket and an economy car at the same time. This causes the true economical technologies (it is really just physics and all fairly simple) to not be brought forth here. They have them elsewhere... You can get a 2.3L 4-cyl diesel 5-series BMW in Europe... you can get a 3-cyl VW in Europe... Just not here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
There are a goodly number of small cars out there that do just fine in real-world crashes and get very good mileage. And for a commuter box, you don't need 8 cylinders and 33 inch mudders. Save that for your weekend offroading toy.

My fiancee is getting over 40 mpg highway in her 09 Fit Sport AT with very little effort beyond not speeding excessively.

I agree with your first comment. One of the main reasons this does not happen is because the insurance system is so screwed up too... Liability travels with the car, not the driver. Id rather have my policy go for my liability on myself only, and for all cars (even if it is the most expensive one). Colision/comp is a different story, but for me with 5 cars, it would mean paying liability once, instead of five times with a meager discount. I'd happily buy a rider or bond to cover the case where someone borrowed my car, and wasn't properly insured. Since the risk is so low for that case, the cost would be effectively nil.

if such a system was set up so a driver isnt penalized for having multiple cars by having to pay full insurance multiple times (i.e. liability on cars you arent driving), people would be more inclided to have an additional car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back