How Do I Know if I Have Towing Package?

Sign up on Toyota owners, you should be able to pull the specs on it by vin (if it is in fact a Toyota.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I thought the owner had the window sticker but he did not. He wants to add a hitch and I am thinking there would be different hitches to choose from. His vin stickers gives both a 2000 and a 5000 lb towing capacity???

Awesome info. I’ll check his Highlander tonight.

Thanks!!!!
Well, my son verified he has a towing package. He has the cut outs like your article said. Thanks AndyinAL!

My next question. Where would you go to install a hitch onto your Highlander? What do we ask for? What different qualities should
we get?

My next question. Where would you go to install a hitch onto your Highlander? What do we ask for? What different qualities should
we get?
Do it yourself, it's super easy with 3 bolts per side. Different manufacturers to choose from online but the Curt is the only one that runs above the tail pipe and not below...looks the cleanest by far so that was my choice.

I preferred the Drawtite. Instructions, pictures, .... and choices available here:

I get my hitches from etrailer, and look at the options, and usually go for the one that requires the least amount of work. You can also look for any required wiring convertor and drawbars too.

It's not as simplistic as that. Obviously with an answer like that you don't tow anything.
It's not as simplistic as that. Obviously with an answer like that you don't tow anything.
No need to be snarky, the OP question came across as very simplistic lacking any details and asking about a hitch is a good clue given complete lack of details. it can lead to a better next question.

Clearly you have not worked in diagnosis .

Since there is a towing package, do we need to purchase any additional wiring? I am assuming all the wiring we need is “hidden” back around the bumper. I’m assuming we only need to purchase a class 3 hitch and a 2” ball.

Since there is a towing package, do we need to purchase any additional wiring? I am assuming all the wiring we need is “hidden” back around the bumper. I’m assuming we only need to purchase a class 3 hitch and a 2” ball.
On the two cars I've had with towing packages there was no wiring. It only had stuff like a transmission cooler and a bigger alternator. I had to get a trailer wiring thing and wire it up myself.

Check the compartment in the trunk to the left side of the center bin...pull the plastic bin out of it and there is likely a 4-pin wire hiding out in there.

Some cars come installed with a hitch, but their called “activity” attachment because the car isn’t technically allowed to tow anything.

Check the compartment in the trunk to the left side of the center bin...pull the plastic bin out of it and there is likely a 4-pin wire hiding out in there.
I’m sorta confused. I’m relaying your info and he can’t find any 4 pin connector

I’m sorta confused. I’m relaying your info and he can’t find any 4 pin connector

According to the previously posted link and sublink it does not have one.

***What Prewired for Trailer Lights Means***
Basically it only includes wires going from the front to the rear of the car, and a socket under the dash. A trailer light converter and plug is still needed. More info on that here http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...nfused-about-pre-wire-2012-a.html#post3745843
OEM harness P/N: PT219-48111-WH
Aftermarket OE harness: etrailer

How to find out if your Highlander has the Tow Prep pack

we get?

Back