How Do I Know if I Have Towing Package?

I dont think the tow package is encoded in the VIN. Some makers include an oil cooler or a larger radiator, almost always you will have a factory installed receiver. You can check and see if its a class 2 or 3 and draw some conclusions from that. The class 2 is usually limited to 3500 lbs and the 3 to 5000 lbs.

After a little search I see that Toyota includes the trailer wiring harness and plug with the tow package. They also include a lower rear gear ratio which translates to lower gas mileage than standard and transmission cooling modifications, although I could not find out what that means, it could be a larger cooler or just a cooler or a fan for the tranny cooler.

How do I find out if I have a towing package?

jteds42a292090239
If you are turning 5,000 rpms at 30 mph.............you have the towing package. See if you can check the vin # for oem info/go to a dealer for this info.

After a little search I see that Toyota includes the trailer wiring harness and plug with the tow package. They also include a lower rear gear ratio which translates to lower gas mileage than standard and transmission cooling modifications, although I could not find out what that means, it could be a larger cooler or just a cooler or a fan for the tranny cooler.
My toyota sienna has none of that but has the tow package. It does have a engine oil cooler but not extra trans cooler. that's all the sienna gets with the tow package.

Seems every vehicle model has a different idea, spec and how to find out. Very model specific.

Toyotas oil cooler on the tundra is a hockey puck sandwiched off of the filter mount, with two small coolant lines going to it. Small, out of the way, and effective. Probably also easy to add.

tundra tow package gear ratio was 3.7:1 if I recall.

Well if there is no factory hitch it's safe to assume it does not have a tow package. I do tow quite often but with a manual trans I don't have a way to easily add a cooler.
...and you likely don't need a transmission lubricant cooler with a manual, unless it's pretty severe towing duty. Sometimes, I believe, OEMs cool the rear end first, at times, versus the manual trans...

Last edited:
Your dealer should be able to pull your Monroney (aka Window sticker)
Everything should be listed there.

There is also an internet service that does this for a (not terribly excessive I think) fee

Back