How do I fix this broken air compressor handle?

This is a HF air compressor. The handle is made of cheap plastic and of course broke:

compressor_01.jpg

Here is a close up:
compressor_02.jpg

I doubt that I could get a new handle if I wanted to. I'd like to replace with something metal. Got any suggestions?
If it matters, I do have a conduit bender, but I don't see making something out of one piece of EMT couduit. Maybe 2, but then there is a weak point where they are joined which is also where I would be grabbing the handle, so that is inconvenient.

Cut a strip of metal about as wide and long as the handle; drill two holes on each end and through the plastic handle. Bolt it on. If you got it, fill the hole with JB Weld.

If you don't have metal, use a piece of wood. Prob will work about a well.

If you want it super firm, put a piece on top and bottom of the handle.

Cut a strip of metal about as wide and long as the handle; drill two holes on each end and through the plastic handle. Bolt it on. If you got it, fill the hole with JB Weld.

If you don't have metal, use a piece of wood. Prob will work about a well.

If you want it super firm, put a piece on top and bottom of the handle.
Agree.

Alternately - if the handle is thick enough you might be able to drill it for some metal rod, and epoxy several rods into it. The way the picture looks its pretty thin though.

A couple pieces of metal
optional a few bolts to give it a solid connection and make it epoxy better.
Epoxy
Wrap with black gorilla tape.

Reactions: JC1
You could try some pipe repair wrap. The kind you wet and then wrap. It dries hard similar to a cast for a broken bone.

You can go to the HF replacement parts section of their website. Click on the brand of your compressor. They very well may have what you need.

My first thought was also metal scabs but I'd put one on the top and the bottom to help strengthen the plastic and help prevent it from breaking again. Once you scabbed everything back together if you can find a piece of rubber hose the right diameter to cover the handle split it length wise and wrap it good with electrical tape to give it some cushion against further shock.

Like others said two pieces of flat metal on each side, I would drill holes at each end and use a nut and bolt with thread locker and then wrap it with tape electrical or hockey tape or whatever you have on hand.

If the handle can come off on one side, I would get a piece of tubing and slide it over the handle. Fill it with glue. If the handle can't come off, slot a piece of copper pipe and slide it over and glue it.

For sure on that, or maybe gorilla glue.
Speaking of gorilla glue if the sole of a shoe comes loose, apply a damp cloth to each bonding side and put the shoe or boot in a vice. In one hour or so you can wear them,just dont get them wet! And dont apply too much glue, it expands.

Reactions: JC1
Back