Air Compressors - Somewhat Disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run an old 12 gallon air compressor. I don't know what cfm it produces but I more than handles my impact gun needs. I recently oil under coated three vehicles and while the compressor ran non stop I never had to wait for it to build up pressure. I would save money and just grab a harbor freight compressor for minimal use. For a real compressor grab a Quincy or make your own from old quality electric motors and pumps.

I would really like to hear the HFT belt driven vertical compressor run. I see per the specs it spins at ~1100rpm. That's a bonus IMO. It's got to be so much smoother than the rest of HFT's oil lubed units.

A year or so back I bought the cheaper direct drive ~$150 HFT oil lubed unit. I don't like it because of the noise. It spins at ~3400rpm and is really LOUD. I prefer my 20yr/old HFT twin tank hotdog unit that runs at ~1700rpm.

All I know is my Makita spins at 1750 and has a Solberg intake, and you can have a low voice conversation on front of it...

My issue with all the "USA" compressors that are mainstream (and even $$$-ier ones) is that they just kludge parts here and that's about it...

And every one has some item that I like and something I don't...

I have one of the 33 gallon cheap husky compressors from Home Depot. For home use this thing has been great. I have had it for 8 years and she is still going strong. I have aired up tires, used air ratchets and impacts, brad nailers, nailers and it has worked great. For small jobs it is great for my cut off wheel or da sander. I have used my da sander for 2 large jobs and I just let it catch up and cool down occasionally. I think they are about 300 dollars. I caught mine on sale back then for like 250 dollars. It has served my use very well. Now that I brag on it being nine years old watch it poop out on me!!!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I have that Porter Cable, and have used it for your intended use. It works, and fairly well. It'll kick on for about a minute for every minute of spraying, which is exactly what it's rated for. The pump is quiet compared to an oilless, and would likely be quieter with some Solberg-style filters on it. Which just might happen because the OEM filters aren't at all impressive. Compared to your Makita, it's likely a bit louder. For a drain, adding on an extension wasn't a big deal, and put the drain valve into a much better spot.

I passed over the HF one because its tank design is the worst of both worlds. It's too big around so it sticks out quite a bit, and it's not short enough to be able to fit under anything. The PC/DeWalt unit is considerably skinnier/taller, so it's able to fit into the same footprint as a toolbox bottom cabinet. That's a nice party trick to be able to be put flush with a tool cabinet. Also, the drain would need the compressor to be tipped forward to drain completely. I don't know how much you were able to maneuver these around, but they're cumbersome with most of their 150 lbs or so up top. Mine doesn't like to be tipped much off vertical for transporting it. Where the drain is on that HF unit looked like an accident waiting to happen tipping the unit to drain it completely.

Just my $0.02 from having looked at all those units, and my experiences with my 30 gallon Porter Cable.

Thanks!

I have a craigslist lead on that unit, new in box, and it's a decent deal. I couldn't decide which form factor I liked better, but your angle is compelling.

Did you rewire yours for 240?

No, mine's still 120. A big consideration in buying this particular unit was not having space in the electrical panel for a double breaker. For how much this one gets used, which is quite intermittently, it's fine.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Very happy with my 20 gallon IR compressor.

Where's the pump and tank made?

If it's the same as I saw at Tractor Supply and Amazon, it's China. If so, the same thing can be had from HF for $275ish with coupon. For my limited use, I wouldn't see a difference in life.

Very happy with my 20 gallon IR compressor.

That's awesome enough that I'd have to keep it in the family room.

Originally Posted By: supton
Buy more hose? Last weekend I picked up a second fifty foot air line, and had no problems zipping off lugs nor spraying Flyid Film.

What pump, cfm rating and what tank size?

An aux air tank mounted in the rafters of my garage is an option.

I forget now, and it's been such a busy week I keep forgetting to look. I think it's a 20 gallon tank, although IMO the regulator is the bottleneck--as an oil-less compressor I don't expect it to last more than a few years, at which time I'll get a better one (was a Christmas present). Definitely undersized for painting, when doing Fluid Film it tends to run, if not continuously, then "a lot". Noisy bugger too.

If it's the same as I saw at Tractor Supply and Amazon, it's China. If so, the same thing can be had from HF for $275ish with coupon. For my limited use, I wouldn't see a difference in life.

They are probably made in China but the compressor is constructed well and weighs over 200 lbs. I wanted a heavy roll-around compressor to discouraging it from walking away on it's own.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Buy more hose? Last weekend I picked up a second fifty foot air line, and had no problems zipping off lugs nor spraying Flyid Film.

What pump, cfm rating and what tank size?

An aux air tank mounted in the rafters of my garage is an option.

I forget now, and it's been such a busy week I keep forgetting to look. I think it's a 20 gallon tank, although IMO the regulator is the bottleneck--as an oil-less compressor I don't expect it to last more than a few years, at which time I'll get a better one (was a Christmas present). Definitely undersized for painting, when doing Fluid Film it tends to run, if not continuously, then "a lot". Noisy bugger too.

Just realized I was on bitog and at home. Just looked. 20gallon, 6.1scfm at 40psi and 4.3scfm at 90psi. Just realized: when I ran the sprayer I left it at 90psi, I forget now if it ought to be run lower or not.

They are probably made in China but the compressor is constructed well and weighs over 200 lbs. I wanted a heavy roll-around compressor to discouraging it from walking away on it's own.
smile.gif

So this is a model that northern tool also reliables and sells as a house brand.

The ice thing with this unit is that the northern brand variant can be wired 120/240, it's rated 100% duty cycle, and it has nice inter and after coolers compared to others.

That V-twin compressor pump on a lot of the smaller Northern Tool ones looks a lot like the V-twin pump on my PC compressor. I'm wondering if the duty cycle is more governed by the electric motor than the pump. If the price difference is in getting a nicer motor that is capable of running at 100% duty cycle, that may well be worth it.

Or, if the duty cycle is pretty much weasel wording based on nothing but filling out warranty claims, going cheaper might be okay.

Anybody have any insights into what duty cycle is governed by?

smile.gif

So this is a model that northern tool also reliables and sells as a house brand.

The ice thing with this unit is that the northern brand variant can be wired 120/240, it's rated 100% duty cycle, and it has nice inter and after coolers compared to others.

The Northern Tool house brand version also has solid tires (vs air filled) and is less expensive than the IR. Looks like a winner.

smile.gif

The Northern Tool house brand version also has solid tires (vs air filled) and is less expensive than the IR. Looks like a winner.

Northern Tools also carries another version of this compressor with the Puma brand that is painted with an interesting blue color:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455339_200455339

Then there's the Northstar version:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200518764_200518764

and the IR version:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221

Like many things you can spend more and more money and get more of a compressor. Few of us need a large rotary screw compressor that requires 460V 3 ph.

So you need to consider your requirements and budget and the fact that cordless tools are replacing some of the pneumatic tools for some uses. I would rather take my cordless impact wrench outside than unwind a lot of hose to reach a trailer outside.

I bought (actually a present from my Dad) 60 gal, 5 HP 220V compressor from Northern in 1986. They shipped a 2 stage vs a two cylinder, so I got a much better one than we paid for.

Still going strong.

I'm not a believer in overkilling this. I'm just looking for a few more cfm and more capacity. I happened to be in VA and could take a look at the 20 gallon North Star. It is a much nicer size than the 30 gal units at lowes.

However none of these 15A units really have conpellingly more CFM, so I may be better off just finding an extra tank, and plumb my current 4 gal 4 cfm into it. I'd think that moisture wouldnt be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back