How do conventional and synthetic oils differ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do conventional and synthetic oils differ in absolute terms? That is, if you took a good conventional oil (like Chevron), and a good synthetic oil (like Mobil 1), how do the oils compare?

I realize one is conventional and one is synthetic and the synthetic will flow better in extreme cold by its very nature, etc. And the synthetic can be used for a longer period of time. But how do the oils compare in additive package and ability to stay in viscosity? Is it possible for a conventional oil to actually have a better additive package then a synthetic oil? Is it possible for a conventional oil to stay in viscosity just as well as a synthetic oil over the same distance and time?

There is a tendency I think to separate the conventional and synthetic oils into separate camps. But personally myself I think that there may be an overlap. There may be a few conventional oils that will outperform a few synthetic oils in 3000-4000 miles of driving.

Just to give an example-Bob was able to obtain very low wear results with MicronMoly oil. And Chevron Supreme seems to have an outstanding additive package.

Should we be comparing motor oils equally, based on VOA and UOA results, and not separating motor oils into separate camps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back