How come America is not nearly recognized in the same conversation as The Eagles?

Bill Parcells got 2 rings off that nose candy and one of, if not the best ever LB'r. And some of the best "lines" ever...."Crazed dogs" comes to mind. But I still love Terrel Ownes's "Love me some me" as my all-time favorite.
LMAO! Terrel is ONE character I tell you. I wonder if he is living in a 3million dollar automobile with his cash in the trunk if he still has some.
I read a couple books on the Eagles. One by most members and then the one by the FIRED Don Felder. They all give credit to the long work
hours from evening to sun up in the studio to that stuff, they called it the Peruvian Marching Powder! They have some really wild and strange
stories of the times and places (certain studios) they worked in to make their music. Recording studios with bedrooms!? Hot tubs and other
amenities. They reported that these studios were often full of people 24x7 who had nothing at all to do with the music industry.

Saw the Eagles in the “ History of the Eagles tour” before Glenn Frye passed. So glad I got to see him along with Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy Schmitt. They haven’t lost a thing after all these years. I liked America, but America opening for Air Supply speaks volumes! :rolleyes:
Air Supply has a huge following. We've seen them about 10 times. They always put on a great show. I think America is better but they don't have the same following.

Eagles, Poco, Buffalo Springfield, LZ, Buckingham Nicks (bonus points if you know), Jimi...on cassettes in a Pioneer Supertuner through Jensen 6x9s is the soundtrack of my teens. Bunch of geezers around here.
Oh yes. Of course. I used to be the designated radio / tape player and speaker installer in our group of friends. Those Pioneer SuperTuners were awesome when they came out. We replaced a lot of the older Craig PowerPlays for the better Pioneer units. That is funny about the Jensen 6x9s
in the back. Because when I got into the classic car restoring / collecting gangs in the late 90s early 00s almost every guy re-doing the interiors complained to me "man! I have to replace all these darned package trays that the hippies cut out to put those loud 6x9 speakers in." I would smile and never told them I was one of those responsible for many of those in the cars we all ran around in! LOL

Eagles, Poco, Buffalo Springfield, LZ, Buckingham Nicks (bonus points if you know), Jimi...on cassettes in a Pioneer Supertuner through Jensen 6x9s is the soundtrack of my teens. Bunch of geezers around here.
Best guitar player of all time. I saw Hendrix live from right in front of the stage at the Santa Clara County Folk Rock Festival, '68 or '69. I loved Hendrix!

Jefferson Airplane finished up the show that evening and literally incited a riot. I ran for my life. Staying there was going to see a person get seriously injured. I lost respect for The Airplane that night. What they did was total BS.

Scott

Best guitar player of all time. I saw Hendrix live
Respectfully, ^ I know it has been a popular opinion over the last 50 plus years but if it hadn’t been for Hendrix playing the National Anthem at Woodstock { on Monday morning after 75% of the crowd had left } and his tragic death from a drug overdose he wouldn’t have been nothing but a brief footnote in R&R history. Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, VanHalen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Walsh and more were better than Hendrix! IMO..q

America as a group had several really good songs. And pretty much had a sound all their own. But they didn't have stand out members like Glen Frey, Don Henley, and Joe Walsh. Who all went on to big solo careers, but were always linked to the Eagles.

America lived and died as a band. Most, (even from my era), would have to look them up to know their names.

Respectfully, ^ I know it has been a popular opinion over the last 50 plus years but if it hadn’t been for Hendrix playing the National Anthem at Woodstock { on Monday morning after 75% of the crowd had left } and his tragic death from a drug overdose he wouldn’t have been nothing but a brief footnote in R&R history. Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, VanHalen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Walsh and more were better than Hendrix! IMO..q
(y) I have read a good bit about J. Hendrix from fans and peers - people close to him. First off they all agree he was a very respectful sweet young man who was a happy person who had none of the instant ego some in his position would have. That was good to learn. The thing that
backed that up for me was this story told exactly the same from several people. A gushing music reporter could not wait to get Jimi aside to
ask "his question." So it is said to have gone like this. "Jimi . Jimi , so great to meet you. I have to ask you first off "what on earth does it feel like
to be known as the greatest guitar master in the world?"
Jimi looks down and sighs, then he looks up and into the reporters eyes with a bit of a
smirk before saying, "well , its hard for me to answer this, if you want the true answer you need to ask Mr. Rory Gallagher." "My friend who happens to be the greatest player that I know of." It is said the reporter looked like a balloon that had just had all its air released. LOL
Hendrix was reported as saying of Rory Gallagher:
Rory was the best. Walk on hot coals from Irish Tour. Just sit back and listen, nobody else could play it like that. When Jimi Hendrix was asked whats it feel like to be the best guitarist in the world he said "You better ask Rory Gallagher" John Lennon went to see Rory and said "I have seen the future of Rock n Roll, its Rory Gallagher" Just listen!

Last edited:
Jimi Hendrix was wildly popular for two years before Woodstock, or three years before the Woodstock film was released. His "Are you Experienced" album was on the charts for 33 weeks in 1967-68. Lots of radio play. All the other gents you mentioned were excellent, as was their daddy, John Mayall.

The Eagles and then America had just way too much radio overload to make me glad to hear them. Both quite good, but America seemed a bit late to the party.

I love both bands(America & Eagles). ATMOF, I love all of the bands mentioned in this thread and what they meant to me during that time.

I remember when most of those bands got their start on the radio and where I was when I first heard the bands on the radio. I remember the people who I was with, where we were, the car I was driving, the girl I was dating etc.

Speaking of the EAGLES, I think their longevity has to do more with their comeback(Hell Freezes Over) in '94 than their history prior to that comeback. Yes, the Eagles have a great history but the fact that they're still touring in such a strong way, keeps their memory alive in an overpowering but good way. America the band, is still touring but their shows are less intense. However they too still sound great live after 50+ years. Just not as well produced as the Eagles.

I like the group America. They actually were getting air play before The Eagles. I can remember it was around 1972. Neil Young’s “Harvest” album was big. The Allman Brothers Band “Eat A Peach” was selling good along with their single “Melissa”.
Another band worth mentioning is Poco. The Eagles and Poco had band members going back and forth.
I have tickets to see Richie Furay in May. Richie played with BS and Poco.

I went to an America concert in the early 1980's at the PNC Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ. The whole concert lasted about 75 minutes and they were done. No encore, just done and gone. The entire audience was stunned and ticked off. Ever since, they've been dead to me. Any time I hear an America song on the radio (rarely) any more, I just remember how they ripped me off that night long ago!

• Sad
Reactions: GON
I don't know.
Even in a world where production is king, if the group's members are in any way disagreeable -including personally- it could add to whatever shortcomings their personnel roster or discography might have and result in cool receptions.

Or, as mentioned above, maybe they just had only so much talent or fan base.

The Kinks are/were a British Invasion band. Lola has been their signature song for decades. However, their "really good" song list is a long one.
Due to a fight over Heaven knows what in Los Angeles, they were "dark grey balled", just shy of a full blackball treatment by the industry.

No entity is indispensable.

edit: After describing this thread to my wife, she said, "I wonder why he (GON) asked that question? America is nothing like The Eagles."
Ahhhh....the joy of a wife 25 years your junior!

Last edited:
A lot of younger people won't recognise this guy who played the expert gunsmith from the movie, "Shooter". His name is / was Levon Helm. He died in 2012. He was the drummer for a group back in the 60's and 70's called appropriate enough, "The Band".

They had a big hit single back then called, "Up On Cripple Creek", and he also wrote the song, "The Weight". He wasn't a half bad actor either.

*LOL*
OMG, haven't heard those words in almost 5 decades! "Pioneer Supertuner" "Jensen 6x9" I also had a Pioneer Amp.
I was always into sound, had those in my late model 1977 Custom Dodge Van with a button tuffed, rolled and pleated interior, (leather look, (naughahide?) from front to back) Convertible sofa bed too.
It was a party van... missing in this photo was the front fiberglass spoiler, had to reinstall it after a huge winter snowstorm around 1978. (yes and those are real air horns compressor and air tank under the chassis. *LOL* ) On the front fender, that silver dot is the key slot for the alarm system and had a real siren *LOL*
I miss music on analog sources, you could actually hold it in your hands, now it's just digits on a chip.
Every penny spent on that truck was my own earned money, actually every vehicle and boat I owned was paid for by me, grateful to my parents for not giving me this stuff and they had the means. ( I do wish sometimes I saved more, always lived life like I could be gone tomorrow!)
Good news is I am still here! No regrets!
IMG_9385.jpeg

Last edited:
A lot of younger people won't recognise this guy who played the expert gunsmith from the movie, "Shooter". His name is / was Levon Helm. He died in 2012. He was the drummer for a group back in the 60's and 70's called appropriate enough, "The Band".

They had a big hit single back then called, "Up On Cripple Creek", and he also wrote the song, "The Weight". He wasn't a half bad actor either.

Levon was the real deal.

I’ve actually seen The Band in concert, as well as going to a few showings of “The Last Waltz”. “The Weight” is one of my favorites.

Back