How come America is not nearly recognized in the same conversation as The Eagles?

The wife and I saw Air Supply a few years ago and America opened for them. It was a great show!
Saw the Eagles in the “ History of the Eagles tour” before Glenn Frye passed. So glad I got to see him along with Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy Schmitt. They haven’t lost a thing after all these years. I liked America, but America opening for Air Supply speaks volumes! :rolleyes:

I think it is more because The Eagles were barfed all over the airways at the time and since. While an alright band I think the controversy of their breakup and solo projects made it a topic so the other good bands that had air play never got know by the band name but everyone knows some of their songs. Kinda like how Led Zeppelin overshadows other music like it while being alright but nothing overly amazing.
Yes, I never purchase one Led Zeppelin album after the very first. It did feel like the radio and music CEOs were determined to force feed them to the world. Of course talented but were nothing special to me.

America, ever noticed most of their album name starts with an "H"
I Wonder what "Ventura Highway" looks like today

The Eagles and the band America are not even on the same planet. Every single member of the Eagles went on to solo great success. The America band members?

The Eagles had more talent than any band in music history.

Scott
I always liked the band and songs of America plus Eagles and agree with you. Not on the same planet as other bands as far as exposure and promotion or possibly even much less ambition / drive. Not all musicians and artist are driven to be filthy rich. Read some place that Glen Frey's mother or grandmother said to someone "Glen has the drive to make it , become a rock & roll King , as much ambition as a rattlesnake." Whatever that meant....?

I'm 35 and I (and everyone I know) knows who The Eagles are.

I've never heard of America... Never even heard it mentioned by coworkers in their 50s-60s.
America was a major band in 1970. Awesome time in history. Gosh do I miss the music, so organic and real.

"America won a Grammy Award for Best New Artist and were nominated for Best Pop Vocal Group at the 15th Annual Grammy Awards in 1973.[1] The group was inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2006 and received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2012."

I am not very knowledgeable about music. I simply know what I like. I don't know much about bands, band members, etc.

Ever since a kid, I always liked the songs from the group "America". A horse with no name, Tin man, Sister golden hair..... all great songs (in my ears).

Any thoughts on why America takes a back seat to The Eagles when talking about music published in that era?
The Eagles (really are Henley + Frey) were the smartest two guys in the room for making some moves that were like hitting the lottery.

#1 Hired the most devious money hungry / genius manager on the planet. I.A. , who they said was "a devil but he is our devil!

#2 Hired two of the hottest guitar players in rock history. Don Felder (unknown at the time yet a fire eater of a player). Then also smart + lucky enough to hire the craziest, yet well known leader of the James Gang (already a bonafide rock star) Joe Walsh who of course brought crowds of his fans to Eagles shows from coast to coast instantly. I liked them from the start but as a long time Walsh fan, that sealed the deal for me and made me start to buy their tickets and albums once they moved off the slow , sad crying type of country soft rock they started with. They wanted to hit it big and rock and they hired people to do it with. Bernie Leadon (founding member walked away when they turned to harder rock music).

#3 Both Henley + Frey have said they wrote the music that went straight into the heart and souls of all the female fans with easy lyrics they could sing along with. They both have said they were after a few things. Big money / exposure / women. They made it all work just like a business and it goes on today. Henely has not lost a step. Proved it by hiring one of the best country / rock guitarist out there today Vince Gill to take Frey's place.
Vince can play and he can sing those type of songs as easy as anyone ever.

Reactions: GON
I like the group America. They actually were getting air play before The Eagles. I can remember it was around 1972. Neil Young’s “Harvest” album was big. The Allman Brothers Band “Eat A Peach” was selling good along with their single “Melissa”.
Another band worth mentioning is Poco. The Eagles and Poco had band members going back and forth.
Yes, yes and yes!

Any thoughts on why America takes a back seat to The Eagles when talking about music published in that era?
I dont know, I guess in my mind I always thought about America being just a year or two before the Eagles but maybe I am wrong.
It might also depend on region but yeah, now that you mention it, they kind of faded away. Believe it or not, recently within the last 6 months I pulled their music up in Apple Music and streamed it while driving.

Gosh, everyday I went to school my friend old enough to drive had a Dodge Charger, we would all pack into his car and he would drive us. The images burned into my brain. First thing he would do is pop the America 8 track into the player. Venture Highway sometimes I get sad hearing the songs, I just want to go back in time, just an awesome time to grown up.
I tell my wife the stories, I had a colorful youth for sure. Tight knit friends, out almost every night, sometimes up to no good but meant for fun.

Reactions: GON
I think it is more because The Eagles were barfed all over the airways at the time and since.
There's a radio station to me that has a joking reputation as always having an Eagles song on when you tune in to it. I've been sick of Hotel California, Take it Easy, and Life in the Fast Lane for 10+ years. I have never streamed or downloaded those songs in my life but I know all the lyrics by heart and my wife and I both turn that station off when any of those songs come on :ROFLMAO:

I dont know, I guess in my mind I always thought about America being just a year or two before the Eagles but maybe I am wrong.
It might also depend on region.
Gosh, everyday I went to school my friend old enough to drive had a Dodge Charger, we would all pack into his car and ge would drive us. The images burned into my brain. First thing he would do is pop the America 8 track into the player. Venture Highway.
Great memories. I have many of the same you describe. Back then they had so many new bands break out almost weekly it was hard to keep up with and we can bet there are many good ones who simply did not make it. Some who did have even said they almost had to pay/bribe someone in the music industry just to get a demo tape into the hands of someone who could do something with it.

I have heard of The Eagles. I listen to their music quite regularly. Never heard of the band called America. I know I’m young but I’ve heard of most singers or bands as my dad has about just as many CD’s as I do tools and license plates lol. I’ve never heard him mention or listen to America before. I know I’m young but I used to be into music more too and just haven’t heard of them. I just asked him if he has ever heard of them he said yeah but their music isn’t great in his opinion and they aren’t well known. I just listened to a few songs by The Eagles on the way home that was playing on the radio. Already Gone and Hotel California.

When I read the title of the thread I thought this was going to be about someone arguing over football and America lol 😂. I was confused till I read the post haha.

Both were a bit before my time (just, I was alive but not old enough to know the difference). I like the eagles, their sound still works today - at least their original stuff.

I have heard many of the America songs and they seem "folksy" to me. I imagine my kids would tolerate the eagles - they love Hotel California. Not so much with America I am certain. The sound just hasn't held up.

Longevity has alot to do with it. America had a handful of good songs while the Eagles have a catalog of great music.

Eagles were better because of their excessive intake of nose candy.

Bill Parcells got 2 rings off that nose candy and one of, if not the best ever LB'r. And some of the best "lines" ever...."Crazed dogs" comes to mind. But I still love Terrel Ownes's "Love me some me" as my all-time favorite.

Back