How capable is a 2wd truck with a locker

Tires tires tires. I've had two 4x4 trucks. My first truck and my current truck are RWD. All four of them lived in snowy Rochester, NY. The best snow improvement I've ever made is the proper tires. My current RWD launches the 3500 lb boat at all the freshwater ramps around here without incident. Got this truck super cheap because nobody around here will even consider a RWD full size with a V6. I think it's my favorite of the four...

^^^ this. Lots of folks down here pull boats off the water every day with 2wd. I’ve loaned mine out for the same. Well-siped tires on the ramp do well. Mud terrains favored by some do not. I personally enjoy having 4wd for the rare occasion when it’s needed, but generally find that I rarely *need* it.

Yes the Eaton Detroit TruTrac is a type of 100% lockup capable LSD. In the 4x4 world we just call them Detroit Lockers. They’re handier than an air or e-locker to a certain extent and will usually get you out of trouble that involves one wheel in the air.

The Eaton Detroit TruTrac model is a *NOT* a lockup unit of any sort. Is it "a helical-gear style, limited-slip differential", similar to a Zexel Torsen limited slip differential. See more here: https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/differentials/eaton-detroit-truetrac-differential.html

The locking unit used by GM in most of their full frame truck, SUV and vans is an Eaton MLocker, aka Gov Lock. It uses flyweights that engage when a 100rpm wheel speed difference (between left and right sides) occurs, and physically locks both sides. It normally operates as an open differential. See more here: https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/differentials/mlocker.html

Lastly, the Detroit Locker is a different unit, that operates as a locked differential and unlocks in turns, essentially becoming an open diff. See more here: https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/prod...market-differentials/detroit-locker-faqs.html

+1 Exactly! I've seen my fair share of 2WD PU trucks dragged into the channel where the boat ramp is around here on low tide. The smart 2WD owners wait for high tide to use the ramp. 4WD is much better suited for hauling a boat into and out of water, and 4L multiplies torque making hauling a big boat a lot easier, going straight up the ramp.

Well my dad and his friend Dave just about launched the truck into the Pamukey river on a very steep boat ramp... 4wd was not helpful when someone forget to set the parking brake and also put it in gear too....

Talk about World Champions those 2... :LOL:

Well my dad and his friend Dave just about launched the truck into the Pamukey river on a very steep boat ramp... 4wd was not helpful when someone forget to set the parking brake and also put it in gear too....

Talk about World Champions those 2... :LOL:
It happens.......

I've never gotten stuck with my LSD rear 1988 E-150, and it has seen its fair share of snow storms. I think the LSD rear with the 5 speed stick helps a lot. Having said that I never tried pulling a boat up a wet ramp with it on low tide. As the saying goes, use the right tool for the job. That helps reduce the chances of a problem.

Back