How are you preparing your computer for the Coronavirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've disconnected all my computers from the Internet and am avoiding all USB sticks. The last thing I need in my life is some Chinese hacker virus in my personal files, especially when everyone's apparently getting sick for some reason.

I'm still worried though because I heard the virus can be transferred even before you know you have it. My antivirus says my computers are all okay, but should I lock them in a closet for a while anyway, just in case?

Not sure if tongue in cheek...
36.gif

Nothing drastic. Mainly just avoiding crowded places as much as possible. That's the most important thing we can all do right now.

Italy is taking a beating and we don't want that situation here.

This virus has some unique qualities - in some patients it has been found in their bodies 5 weeks after infection. It can also show up in your lower intestinal track, although rare. Because it is new, we don't fully know everything about it.

There is a lot of hysteria right now, but I'd rather be bit overly cautious.

Dont go look at the corona virus spread maps.. some are actual malware. (serious reply to joking post)

Originally Posted by buster
Nothing drastic. Mainly just avoiding crowded places as much as possible. That's the most important thing we can all do right now.

This virus has some unique qualities - in some patients it has been found in their bodies 5 weeks after infection. It can also show up in your lower intestinal track, although rare. Because it is new, we don't fully know everything about it.

I'm confused. How can avoiding crowded places help my computer? And I didn't think my PC had intestines. Did you mean cables or something? A computer virus that can infect cables sounds awful! I knew Chinese hackers were good, but that's some next-level stuff!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by buster

I'm confused. How can avoiding crowded places help my computer? And I didn't think my PC had intestines. Did you mean cables or something? A computer virus that can infect cables sounds awful! I knew Chinese hackers were good, but that's some next-level stuff!
shocked2.gif

Well, if they can plant malware in USB charging ports, cables are not necessarily out of the question. Think about it...
wink.gif

I've disconnected all my computers from the Internet and am avoiding all USB sticks. The last thing I need in my life is some Chinese hacker virus in my personal files, especially when everyone's apparently getting sick for some reason.

I'm still worried though because I heard the virus can be transferred even before you know you have it. My antivirus says my computers are all okay, but should I lock them in a closet for a while anyway, just in case?

BUy yourself a USB killer, that way if your PC gets infected with the coronavirus you can kill it instantly and not risk further infection.

Originally Posted by Olas

BUy yourself a USB killer, that way if your PC gets infected with the coronavirus you can kill it instantly and not risk further infection.

Boy I missed the days of the Commodore 64. If your computer locked up, you just flipped the switch and turn it back on and you're back in business in about a second.

Originally Posted by John_K
I have been spraying my wireless router with Lysol!
25.gif

I am not sure how well Lysol does with a virus. Heat would be better. Ten minutes in the microwave on HIGH.

I've been to several hotspots of activity in the past month, (Seattle, Cali, and Mid-Ohio) and have not even had a sniffle. I use a Trojan XXL on my laptop and so far, Avast has not found anything on it, either. I smear oil of oregano on everything, including the keyboard. It's antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and the smell is antisocial, so it covers all bases including the social distancing BS.

Stay safe, America! As Flava Flav said, "Don't believe the hype!" It's a cold, it will cause some issues, and it too will pass.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Stay safe, America! As Flava Flav said, "Don't believe the hype!" It's a cold, it will cause some issues, and it too will pass.

I heard it's really rough on old computers, though. I have an old DOS machine and that's the one I'm most worried about.
frown.gif

I wrapped my tower with 10 cases of toilet paper, and dumped 4 cases of bottled water all over my monitor and keyboard! No viruses for me!!
crazy.gif

Good thing I have laptops...

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I wrapped my tower with 10 cases of toilet paper, and dumped 4 cases of bottled water all over my monitor and keyboard! No viruses for me!!
crazy.gif

Good thing I have laptops...

Toilet paper! Of course! Maybe that's why everyone's buying so much of it.

Thanks for the tip!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back