Slow computer....antivirus no help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Used the boot time scan option from avast last night and Holy Cow Batman...it worked!!!! I choose to scan every single thing and it took about 4 hours. Oh my gosh was there all kind of viruses on that thing....torrents, drp, trojans, and pup files out the wahzoo. Running SO much better, it's almost like a new computer. I think most of them came from her playing Minecraft on-line. Another problem I ran into when trying to do a Microsoft update, I got an error message, looked it up, and the time/date stamp on the laptop was not in sync with Microsoft. Sure enough, it was the right time but the date was 1/3/2011. Got that fixed and updates galore came pouring in. Got me to thinking, could one of the viruses purposely do that? I mean, if your computer is set to check updates regularly or on some sort of automated schedule, but the dates are way off so that Microsoft can't update its software, they effectively won't be updated and there would be no way that software could delete the virus? Pretty slick if your not really anal about updating.

While it is wonderful that Avast finally found the infections with a boot time scan, the fact it didn't prevent any of them would have me tossing it for something that actually would.

Well 3ell, still got the same problem I had when I started this. Back to square one last night. Got the trial version of kaspersky. Had to delete all the antivirus stuff and avast. Took me forever to download...error this, error that. Finally, about 5 hours later, got it up and running. 32 trojan horses deleted. CPU is still running about 80%, must have some other stuff embedded. Wish there was a program out there I could buy that would fix all this at one time.

You may have to run through stuff more than once.

Also, be sure you know what's actually causing the processor to load up. It may be various Windows processes (such as checking for updates). Sometimes, Windows XP will sit with its processor loaded up trying to check for updates from a non-existent server. Microsoft has various fixes for this.

Related thread

Task Manager can be your friend here, showing you what's constantly hitting your CPU. You can also use Process Explorer, which is TM on fire.

Go burn an Ubuntu linux disk or Fedora live boot disk as they come with anti-virus software that will work on Windows

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
Go burn an Ubuntu linux disk or Fedora live boot disk as they come with anti-virus software that will work on Windows

Good idea, even just testing out the system with a live DVD would give you important info. It could be multiple things that are slowing down the computer. Determine whether it's software or hardware, or both. I wasn't aware buntu or fedora came with antivirus tools, but whether or not it does, they're great for testing the computer.

Have you done the obvious and checked that the disk isn't nearing maxing out on capacity? In unix the command is "df", not sure about windows. Anyways if the disk is filling to capacity the drive will spend endless moments trying to search for free gaps to put data. Just don't run a drive or partition above 80% or 90% capacity; if you do use defrag disk tools; certainly bad idea to run a / partition above 95%.

Secondly, what are the specs?

On the software side. 1st thing is to get flashblock if you don't already have it. Flash ads these days are incredible in how they hog memory RAM bandwidth; just flashblock them and whitelist what you need, or use two browsers, one of which is flashblocked.

What are the system specs? RAM, drive capacity, nr of CPU cores?

Besides viruses and malware, another tip is to get rid of a lot of fluff that loads at system startup; esp so if you're running on a low RAM system.

2011 compaq laptop. 2G RAM and 200G hard drive. Hard drive has space out the yeng-yang. I've ran a whole bunch of diagnostic stuff this past weekend. It's a little faster, but the RAM processes on task manager is showing that it constantly stays up more than 60% all the time. I'm using the trail version of kaspersky....if I bought into it, could that help? There is nothing uploaded into the RAM, as far as I know. There sure seems to me a lot of programs running in process and services. Way more than this work computer I'm using right now.

2gb of ram means if you install a few programs such as spotify you will be out of memory and thrashing the hdd== very slow.

Got it running a lot faster now. But for some reason, when Minecraft pulls up, all RAM and CPU useage shoots up to 100%. I watch the processes and it seems that when java loads up, program that runs minecraft, it just pegs the memory and cpu. A few months back, it didn't do that. I've updated all Java programs but I can't believe this thing will suck that much memory and processing.

I've updated all Java programs but I can't believe this thing will suck that much memory and processing.

Remove "memory and processing" from your quote and you will have demonstrated a good grasp of Java.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I've updated all Java programs but I can't believe this thing will suck that much memory and processing.

Remove "memory and processing" from your quote and you will have demonstrated a good grasp of Java.
smile.gif

I see what you did there...
smile.gif

Got it running a lot faster now. But for some reason, when Minecraft pulls up, all RAM and CPU useage shoots up to 100%. I watch the processes and it seems that when java loads up, program that runs minecraft, it just pegs the memory and cpu. A few months back, it didn't do that. I've updated all Java programs but I can't believe this thing will suck that much memory and processing.

I had a similar experience with astronomy planetarium software...it would just suck the life and speed out of a Dell laptop. Turned out the built-in video card wasn't fast enough to meet the OpenGL standard that was necessary. I did find an OpenGL evaluator program that I ran to prove this.

Further, the astronomy SW had a known issue with this AND the built in Intel graphics card on this particular model was known to cause issues AND even though the SW company said it SHOULD work....it dragged the machine to a crawl.

Sounds like Minecraft is doing the same thing. Check the OpenGL standards of the machine vs. the game. Also sounds like you'll need more RAM for MC.

Process Explorer and Process Monitor will give you far more info than Task Manager and I highly recommend both. Great diagnostic tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back