How accurate is a dip stick

My daughter owns a Nissan Rogue which has a dip stick tube, but no dip stick. After market sticks are available on Amazon. Anybody have any experience with these sticks? Are they accurate?

Does Nissan make one for that engine ? Or one from previous years ? Find (online) someone with the same engine and ask them to measure their dipstick (from the rubber gasket) for total length as well as the L and H marks.

Or, if you did the oil change and you know you put in the right amount of oil, use an aftermarket one and see where it lines up on that dipstick.

Buy dipstick. Replace oil using precisely the amount as described in the Nissans owner manual. Scribe a line on your dipstick.

For what it’s worth, my factory Toyota dipstick is 1/4 inch off.

For what it’s worth, my factory Toyota dipstick is 1/4 inch off.
1/4 inch off what? The amount listed in the manual is an approximation. It doesn't take into account the amount of oil left in the pan, on top of the engine, in the oil cooler and lines, etc. And what if you ran over a curb and put a dent in the oil pan? If you put in the listed amount of oil, it might be too high. The dipstick full mark is going to put the oil at the proper level just below the crankshaft so it doesn't churn in the oil. And that mark represents a consistant level irrespective of how much oil was left in the pan, the cooler or if the pan is dented.

1/4 inch off what? The amount listed in the manual is an approximation. It doesn't take into account the amount of oil left in the pan, on top of the engine, in the oil cooler and lines, etc. And what if you ran over a curb and put a dent in the oil pan? If you put in the listed amount of oil, it might be too high. The dipstick full mark is going to put the oil at the proper level just below the crankshaft so it doesn't churn in the oil. And that mark represents a consistant level irrespective of how much oil was left in the pan, the cooler or if the pan is dented.

Agreed. I was going to post this as well.

Manuals I've read across multiple manufactures are clear the listed capacities are for approximation purposes and the dipstick is the ultimate indicator of fluid level.

That's why I normally add a little below the listed capacity (say 1/2 quart or so) and slowly top up if necessary. Blindly dumping in the quantity in the manual can sometimes put you well above the high mark on the dipstick.

Last edited:
My daughter owns a Nissan Rogue which has a dip stick tube, but no dip stick. After market sticks are available on Amazon. Anybody have any experience with these sticks? Are they accurate?

OK, so this is for the CVT correct?

If so, the answer is there isn't a dipstick for the newer Rogue models (I think around 2016 to current). At least not from Nissan/OEM. Maybe you can find something aftermarket, but I'd be hesitant to suggest that.

The proper way to check the CVT fluid level is relatively complex. It involves a scan tool that reads fluid temperature, hoisting the vehicle on a lift (while running), and removing the fluid-check plug on the CVT. The exact procedure and details can be found in the Nissan factory service manuals.

Last edited:
The proper way to check the CVT fluid level is relatively complex. It involves a scan tool that reads fluid temperature, hoisting the vehicle on a lift (while running), and removing the fluid-check plug on the CVT.
It's not too much more complicated then changing the motor oil. Drive up on ramps. Jack up the rear to be level. Idle the engine to proper transmission fluid temperature. Remove the plug. If nothing comes out, add more fluid. If it does come out, wait until it's just a trickle and replace drain plug.

Doubt it in this case. I have owned the car from new. There are no dents in the pan, or the plastic cover below it. There are no oil lines because there is no oil cooler. If your telling me the factory spec in the service manual is incorrect you clearly have never worked in design. No doubt Toyota employs professional tech writers, and they would have gotten that spec from design engineering. I even think there would be EPA ramifications to the capacities which must be documented - so I sincerely doubt it.

So is it possible that there is some residual in the upper end, in the pump and the vehicle isn't level, possibly. There is also clearly a tolerance, so the 0.15 quarts that quarter inch represents is pretty minor. But I stand my my suggestion to the OP to change the oil, drained fully when hot, and scribe your own line.

Sorry guys I failed to mention it is a dipstick for the CVT. The car does not come with one but has a dip stick tube.

I was just trying to find out if the level markings on the aftermarket dip stick are correct for the application (Nissan Rogue) and if anyone had used one.

If your telling me the factory spec in the service manual is incorrect you clearly have never worked in design.

No, we're not saying that at all. What we're saying is that the capacities in the manual are approximate capacities to give you a reference or starting point. In other words, your dipstick isn't wrong or off.

For example, from the Nissan manual "Use these specifications for reference only. Always use the dipstick to determine the proper amount of oil in the engine."

Ford, "Approximate dry fill capacity. Actual amount may vary during fluid changes."

No, we're not saying that at all. What we're saying is that the capacities in the manual are approximate capacities to give you a reference or starting point. In other words, your dipstick isn't wrong or off.

For example, from the Nissan manual "Use these specifications for reference only. Always use the dipstick to determine the proper amount of oil in the engine."

Ford, "Approximate dry fill capacity. Actual amount may vary during fluid changes."
You are absolutely correct - manufacturers specified capacity is an approximate figure that is then adjusted by actual measurements with a dipstick or other fluid check procedure. When working in GM engineering I requested Powertrain to add .25 of a quart to the transmission fill they did because we would lose small amounts of trans fluid on the assembly line if a trans was tipped too far when marrying to the motor. By getting the additional fluid added we knew we would always be at a nominal or slightly higher fill level (but not overfilled) when the vehicle left the factory. Trust me NO transmission leaves the factory at the exact full mark -- they are usually right at the medium level or slightly above/below....but the level is fine and safe regardless.

Back