How accurate is a dip stick

No, we're not saying that at all. What we're saying is that the capacities in the manual are approximate capacities to give you a reference or starting point. In other words, your dipstick isn't wrong or off.
When I follow the factory instructions to the letter my Toyota dipstick registers 1/4 inch over the top hole. From my iterative test that 1/4 inch amounts to 5 oz. I don't see a calibration date on the dipstick, and I didn't find any NIST calibration papers in the glove box when purchased new. It looks like a poorly stamped and twisted piece of cheap stainless with a molded handle likely delivered by the lowest bidder.:eek:

Should I drain 5 oz out as inferred above or I will face certain doom? :ROFLMAO:

When I follow the factory instructions to the letter my Toyota dipstick registers 1/4 inch over the top hole. From my iterative test that 1/4 inch amounts to 5 oz. I don't see a calibration date on the dipstick, and I didn't find any NIST calibration papers in the glove box when purchased new. It looks like a poorly stamped and twisted piece of cheap stainless with a molded handle likely delivered by the lowest bidder.:eek:

Should I drain 5 oz out as inferred above or I will face certain doom? :ROFLMAO:
Most likely, you did not drain enough oil. On some recent Toyota’s I have found the published capacity to result in a slight overfill. If you change on jack stands, more oil is drained and you stand a better chance at not overfilling.

Last edited:
My daughter owns a Nissan Rogue which has a dip stick tube, but no dip stick. After market sticks are available on Amazon. Anybody have any experience with these sticks? Are they accurate?
I had a 2014 rogue with a CVT that had a factory dipstick. That CVT Fluid level varied from barely touching the bottom of the stick when not driven yet with ice cold fluid in the Winter (approx 20F) to being a 1/2" over the full mark when fully warmed after a 45 min highway commute.

So unless you have a point of reference (I had factory fill level) I wouldn't bother getting an accessory stick unless you have a leak - and that should be addressed instead of adding fluid. I recommend an early fluid change to get the wear-in mud out. Thats what I saw on my dipstick that was of immediate concern. My trans held up well up to the day I traded it with 67K on the clock - and I was absolutely brutal on it.

- Arco

Back