How a car with a manual transmission looks to anyone under the age of 30

Being a truck driver, and shifting more than a thousand times a day when working, I appreciate just putting my F150 into Drive, and letting it shift for me.

I’m 31- yes I STILL cannot drive manual. When I was 16, dad got stage 4 head and neck cancer and it took almost everything out of him. And then got lung cancer. So we never got the time to do it. I know I should have learned by now, I tried to look for listings or classes to learn but couldn’t find any. Had friends say they would teach me but life happens and just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m ashamed to admit my wife (from El Salvador and no license and doesn’t drive) knows how to drive a manual. I have also had girlfriends when I was younger who had manual cars that I couldn’t drive. I am 6’6” 250 lbs big guy so that makes it even more so I think. 🤣

You can get a small farm tractor to learn a manual if you can't find a car. Those things end up being usefull if you're outside of a city, and if not they will sell for what you paid or more. Plus they are fun in their own way, without going fast. And diesel. You can gezt all itches scratched at once lol

I’m 31- yes I STILL cannot drive manual. When I was 16, dad got stage 4 head and neck cancer and it took almost everything out of him. And then got lung cancer. So we never got the time to do it. I know I should have learned by now, I tried to look for listings or classes to learn but couldn’t find any. Had friends say they would teach me but life happens and just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m ashamed to admit my wife (from El Salvador and no license and doesn’t drive) knows how to drive a manual. I have also had girlfriends when I was younger who had manual cars that I couldn’t drive. I am 6’6” 250 lbs big guy so that makes it even more so I think. 🤣
Never say never.. you want to learn then don't let another day go by.. life is short ya never know.. and sorry to hear about your dad.

I do remember that same thing that a girlfriend had a manual 4x4 truck that I would've loved to drive, but didn't know manual at the time. Somehow I felt that I was missing something.. The next car I got the next year was a manual! Besides the lightly used 91 CRX Si only came in manual! That alone was worth learning for! There's nothing like that old school Honda light/direct/accurate shifter feel when downshifting and letting the rpm's soar.. good stuff.

Oh if you're wondering who taught me? My speed racer Mom!! People laugh that it was Mom not Dad who taught me.. I think Mom should've been on the race track, she really could drive very well, fast! And yep we used to talk cars all the time..

Last edited:
Personally I think you can teach yourself—that’s what I did. Granted, I did enough reading to know how the engine and trans worked, and how to pull them out and work on them, IMO it helps to know how they work and why you do this or that.

Just don’t try with a Civic. I taught my wife how to drive, with my Saturn, and she responded by buying a… Civic. Thought she made a big mistake! I took it out, and realized that this was a gutless car that could not take off without throttle. Learn on something else!

Never say never.. you want to learn then don't let another day go by.. life is short ya never know.. and sorry to hear about your dad.

I do remember that same thing that a girlfriend had a manual 4x4 truck that I would've loved to drive, but didn't know manual at the time. Somehow I felt that I was missing something.. The next car I got the next year was a manual! Besides the lightly used 91 CRX Si only came in manual! That alone was worth learning for! There's nothing like that old school Honda light/direct/accurate shifter feel when downshifting and letting the rpm's soar.. good stuff.

Oh if you're wondering who taught me? My speed racer Mom!! People laugh that it was Mom not Dad who taught me.. I think Mom should've been on the race track, she really could drive very well, fast! And yep we used to talk cars all the time..

My mom was a menace on the road in het thirties... menace as in hubcaps flying off through corners...

So I live about 10 minutes outside Baltimore, Md (yes it’s a travesty I know) in an apartment complex; not much for country roads at least close by me. Also don’t know anyone with a farm lol. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I could do to find a vehicle to use to teach myself? I was thinking of maybe trying to rent one through enterprise or something but I wasn’t even sure if they have any manual options available

Also i have a little anxiety that if i do find a rental with a manual that I won’t be able to drive it way and will look like the biggest idiot in the world so there’s that too 🤣

My mom was a menace on the road in het thirties... menace as in hubcaps flying off through corners...
My mom didn’t even have a license her whole life yet she drove her whole life 🤣🤣 . One time we got into an accident in my dads truck, and she seriously convinced the officer that she did have her license but she forgot it at home🤣🤣 the good old days, could never get away with that now

I get it, I drove a stick and I wouldn’t mind having another one with my limited mileage. But, I dunno, I’m old enough to be nostalgic but young enough to be realistic. Times change, adapt to it or Father Time will do it for you.

I wasn’t even sure if they have any manual options available
I have my doubts... might have to go find some place that has exotics for renting--but am going to guess that's not cheap.

Probably best off making friends with people have such vehicles, and seeing if you can borrow theirs, even if they ride shotgun. Far cheaper that way too.

I have my doubts... might have to go find some place that has exotics for renting--but am going to guess that's not cheap.

Probably best off making friends with people have such vehicles, and seeing if you can borrow theirs, even if they ride shotgun. Far cheaper that way too.
Yeah it looks like the rental stores do not offer the manual option. Yeah I’m trying to think of who I know who drives one but only one comes to mind but he moved to California last year. I will keep looking in classified/craiglist whatever because I WILL learn it by the end of the new year. That is my New Year’s resolution this year

Back