How a car with a manual transmission looks to anyone under the age of 30

I don't see anything wrong with that statement. I also 100% blame the parents. Can't expect your kids to know about things they are never exposed to. I taught one of my millennial friends to drive stick a few weeks ago, he did fine. He never drove anything besides an automatic Toyota Corolla as he wasn't ever exposed to anything else by his family, but wanted to learn.
A coworker said to me when he had a 5 and a 3 y.o. My kids (girl 5, boy 3) will have to do these 3 things before driving:
1. Change a tire
2. Change the oil
3. Drive a manual

Then he admitted the above will never happen as his wife doesn't think they should have to do the above at all

I don't see anything wrong with that statement. I also 100% blame the parents. Can't expect your kids to know about things they are never exposed to. I taught one of my millennial friends to drive stick a few weeks ago, he did fine. He never drove anything besides an automatic Toyota Corolla as he wasn't ever exposed to anything else by his family, but wanted to learn.
You supplying all parents a manual trans car now? Every parent is required to teach their kids manual driving or else "It's their fault"? But Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your position.

Last edited:
You supplying all parents a manual trans car now? Every parent is required to teach their kids manual driving? But Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your position.
What you say is a true statement, but nobody is supplying anyone with a car. The second sentence yes, is a requirement.

It is kind of like a manual choke knob to get a carburetor car running in the winter. My first four cars had manual chokes. My son, who I taught to drive a stick, wouldn’t know what the choke was for or what it does. Time marches forward.

Didn’t the original Ford model Tee’s have four pedals? Two that worked the transmission.
Well, not really, by the 90's EFI did everything better than a carb, less maintenance, better fuel metering, more power, better reliability.

In general, is there a current automatic that is more reliable than a properly driven manual? For sure if you are dumb, you can wreck a clutch or manual transmission quickly, but if you drive them properly, you can use full throttle or drive like a granny and expect them to go for the life of the car... How many automatics can you drive hard for 300k? A manual you can go WO and still do a low stress shift, and then go WO again without the trans getting confused grabbing the wrong gears until you go WO again?
A manually controllable dual clutch "automatic" is probably the best of the automatics for sporty driving, but they certainly cost more to start and may not last as long as a manual? With older VW's I hear DCT have reputation for big repair bills, but I have no data, and these tend to be not available in most vehicles anyways

How many CVT's die, 10spd autos with harsh shifts or bad programming? Probably the most bomb proof auto is a planetary 3 spd, but then its not efficient anymore.

I think CAFE rules have killed the simple manual trans in N.A. but the rest of the world, and especially the countries where cars aren't disposable, still chooses lots of manuals.

Well, not really, by the 90's EFI did everything better than a carb, less maintenance, better fuel metering, more power, better reliability.

In general, is there a current automatic that is more reliable than a properly driven manual? For sure if you are dumb, you can wreck a clutch or manual transmission quickly, but if you drive them properly, you can use full throttle or drive like a granny and expect them to go for the life of the car... How many automatics can you drive hard for 300k? A manual you can go WO and still do a low stress shift, and then go WO again without the trans getting confused grabbing the wrong gears until you go WO again?
A manually controllable dual clutch "automatic" is probably the best of the automatics for sporty driving, but they certainly cost more to start and may not last as long as a manual? With older VW's I hear DCT have reputation for big repair bills, but I have no data, and these tend to be not available in most vehicles anyways

How many CVT's die, 10spd autos with harsh shifts or bad programming? Probably the most bomb proof auto is a planetary 3 spd, but then its not efficient anymore.

I think CAFE rules have killed the simple manual trans in N.A. but the rest of the world, and especially the countries where cars aren't disposable, still chooses lots of manuals.
Vehicles are not designed for a 300,000 mile life-including most automatic transmissions.Can many go that far in select cases? Yes.

i learned to drive on a ‘three on the tree” manual 60’s van. What do those three pedals do? Simple to explain or is it best in another thread.
Don't own a T this is my understanding:
Left pedal is the manual band for the planetary gearset - like on a two speed powerglide - so it is low and run (or high)
Middle is for reversing, and the Right pedal is brake.
No front service brakes on a T. Just a trans band brake and parking shoes,

If I got that wrong maybe Pablo can straighten me out.

p.s.: throttle is a lever on the steering column. So, it;s all more like a farm tractor than a modern car.

Don't own a T this is my understanding:
Left pedal is the manual band for the planetary gearset - like on a two speed powerglide - so it is low and run (or high)
Middle is for reversing, and the Right pedal is brake.
No front service brakes on a T. Just a trans band brake and parking shoes,

If I got that wrong maybe Pablo can straighten me out.

p.s.: throttle is a lever on the steering column. So, it;s all more like a farm tractor than a modern car.
This. But folks did a lot of "mods" to T's over the 100+ years.

I could come home drunk at 3 AM with a 21 year old stripper on each arm and my darling wife would forgive me. But if I showed up with a purchased automatic sports car all my stuff would be on the curb the next day. And not in an orderly fashion.
It's too bad as I really like the C8.

Might want to raise the threshold to 47. I can tell you I've brought this up in meetings and while a person can achieve a SVP title and have done so 15 years ago, they can't drive a stick. They've even been gone from tractors (tractor/trailer) for at least I dunno 10 years. Owner operators still prefer them, but not fleets. Fleets will even want to squeeze the extra 0.3-0.5 mpg that the autos achieve, even getting very close to 7.
I have a friend who's 65ish who's never learned to drive stick.

A coworker's husband had also never learned. He's gone now, but would have been born in the early 1940s, so must have learned on an early automatic.

In contrast, my boys (born in the '90s) learned in their teens.

Also, earlier this week I changed MTF on my friend's daughter's car. She is around 20.

The age stereotypes hold true in general, but there are always exceptions.

Back