Household hazardous waste drop-off - wouldn't take oil-soaked paper towels

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least two cities in NH capped their land fills and burned off the methane with burners that would accept wide variations of hydrocarbon. The local facility has a crusher for oil filters and local garages burn used oils including motor oil trans fluid tractor hyd oil.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I ran into this as well, I was told to wrap oil filters and oily rags in a shopping bag and dispose "in the municipal waste stream."

I do my part by cutting filter cans and leaving them drain for a week before throwing them, along with Toyota filter elements, and upside down mostly empty oil and ATF containers. Once it goes into my trash, the amount of oil residue is very small.

I built a little wooden drain stand, using a huge funnel mounted on a T-Track against an upright 2x4, so I can adjust and lock in the height. At the bottom is a clear plastic tub and inside that I put a 4-5L jug or Hopkins FloTool 11849 3 gallon recycling oil jug. I got 3 of the recycling jugs for $4.42 each off Amazon back in 2014. Must have been a pricing mistake, as they haven't been that cheap since.

If you are having problems disposing of used oil containers, & filters, you should be able to find a service center, garage, or oil change place that will take them from you. You don't want to throw the oil jugs in with household re-cycleables, but I think they are able to recycle these containers at another facility, or dispose of them properly.

I think in most areas, you're supposed to drain rags, pads, filters, etc.. of free oil, then they go in your solid waste stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back