Hot water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canawler, thank you sir for the links. I will check them out 2nite. I am leaning towards doing the flush this weekend especially if its part of routine maintenance. Never knew that.
33.gif
Of coarse if it leaks, my basement floor will not be the only thing in hot water. I may have to find a bunk house for the weekend. I will chime in this weekend.

I had to kill the water supply to the house to replace two stopcocks for our new washer/dryer.

We drained some water from the kitchen sink and from the lowest point in the sink in the basement.

When we turned the water back on and tried to get the air out of the system, we noticed a rusty colored water, tending to come out in a manner that coincided with when air was coming out.

It came from the got and cold sides.

You might want to try that to help get some junk out.

In our lab at work, it is at the end of a water supply. After sitting for a while, the water that comes from the tap is rusty nearly every time.

JMH

Originally Posted By: JustinH

The expense is having a 220 line installed (thats what the heater takes, in addition to running it to a gas line).

The gas heaters take 120V.

The electric heaters take 240V, but do not use gas. (They also often require a minimum of 200 amp service).

I am unaware of any tankless heater than needs both 240V and gas, unless it's for the European market.

Okay guys. It's 3:10 pm and I have started draining the tank. As soon as the tank is empty I will do a short series of flushes and fill 'er up. I should know in about 30 minutes if it will hold water.

Oh boy... hopefully not a sign of the situation. As I was typing the above post, I realized Perfect Disasters is on the TV. Its about storms and flooding. Plus when I went outside to check if the hose was still draining, I hit the dogs water bowl and spilled water all over the kitchen floor. I may live to rue this day.

You might wanna lower your drain hose to lower than the water heater drain valve. Routing it up and out of your basement won't yield much.

Joel

I got one which has enamel inner side and is doing fine after 17 years. No maintenance. The metal one leaked after 15 years, no anodes and hard water. Replaced its tank for about 1/4 to 1/3 price of a new one including the service.

I'd suggest to seek for the smallest unit from a commercial settings producer (boiler rooms of hotels etc.). They should have a service and have replacements.

Well I drained the tank and filled it twice. I then closed the faucet upstairs and let high pressure water run thru it out the drain vavle for about 10 minutes. The water thus far is still a little rusty looking, but no leaks! Hopefully the water will clear up as the night progresses, but it looks better than before.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone replace their anodes? Any comments on anode maintenance? My unit is nine years old and I wonder the pros and cons of pulling out the anode for inspection/replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back