Horrible predicament! Honda Element starter rear 14mm bolt lodged!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Is the space too tight for a Dremel type tool? Cutting the bolt bit by bit might be enough to free it.

This is where a pic might be helpful.

A Dremel might fit but it will be tight. I don't know if there is enough room between the starter and the bolt to get a Dremel blade in there.

I tried to take pictures with my phone last time I was under there and none of them got a good enough picture to show where to bolt is. It is such a tight space to maneuver. Next time I get under there I will try again.

Originally Posted by cjcride
Could you hook it with a coat hanger and pull it horizontally?

We tried that and it didn't work. The bolt just wouldn't budge and we were afraid that putting more pressure on it would start to bend and dent the starter housing. We think cutting the bolt is our only option at this point.

Originally Posted by mk378
Drama here for 3 days instead of taking the manifold off.

It's Christmas time. Have many other things to do. Plus we have to wait for the new bolt to come in. So probably can't get to it until after Christmas.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Or at least a picture...

I tried taking about 25 pictures with my phone but it's so tight up there and you can't see what you're taking. So far I haven't been able to get a good picture to show how the bolt is sitting. Next time we go under there I will try to take pictures again. The car is in my neighbor's garage.

I would smack the bottom starter with a 2lb dead blow hammer, it may dislodge the bolt enough a magnet tool will grab it. The dead blow is plastic covered and will not damage the starter.

With out seeing it. I can not understand what is around a starter to allow a wedged in bolt? Okay the starter flange has the bolt blocking it. What is the other item the bolt is wedged against? If it is the cars body then like others say pry the whole engine away from the body. Picture is needed on this one.

until you have changed a starter on an element-you just don't understand what this guy is facing. I helped my neighbor change his and it took us 2 days and I have a huge tool collection. we did it from both the top and bottom. what a pos desighn

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
With out seeing it. I can not understand what is around a starter to allow a wedged in bolt? Okay the starter flange has the bolt blocking it. What is the other item the bolt is wedged against? If it is the cars body then like others say pry the whole engine away from the body. Picture is needed on this one.

Because it's so tight up there, I haven't been able to get a good picture.

It's kind of hard to explain because I might not be using the right terminology but around where the starter goes there are lips and edges on the engine block and the bolt fell in a way that the top of the bolt is wedged into one of those lips as is the bottom of the bolt and then there is a metal flange on the bolt that is wedged up against the bottom of the back of the starter which is preventing it from being backed out. It's sort of a 1 in a million shot that the bolt fell that way and trying to initially get it out only wedged it in there tighter to the point that nothing will budge (not the bolt or the starter). It's in there to the point that the only option is to cut the bolt unless you want to risk damaging the starter trying to pry or pound it out. You may be able to see what I'm talking about if you look at youtube videos of removal of the starter on 03 - 011 Elements, Accords, CRVs or Civics.

Here is a picture of the bolt. The long one with the flange in the middle:
https://www.ebay.com/i/253626081625...jO4tGHQjFYbIXzfWo2Hetxcr0dkaAm8sEALw_wcB

That bolt is wedged crossways against the back of the starter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back