Horrible filter location...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...on my 2013 Ford Escape 1.6L Ecoboost. And I cannot see any reasonable way to mount a relocation kit. There doesn't seem to be any room for hoses to come out the side of an adapter, and if you tried adapters that have the hoses come straight out I can't see how the hoses wouldn't get kinked because of the radical turn one would have to make (to come uptowards the top of the car, for example). Sheesh.

Do other Fords with this particular engine have the same problem (Focus, etc.)?

Anybody with this engine have any ideas for a relocation kit that might work?

I can't believe the filter is that difficult to remove with the proper removal tool. I also wouldn't even consider moving the filter to some remote location using high pressure hoses and fittings. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I can't believe the filter is that difficult to remove with the proper removal tool. I also wouldn't even consider moving the filter to some remote location using high pressure hoses and fittings. Ed

Oh, it is. After you remove the belly pan, you have to snake your hands between A/C lines and coolant lines to even get to the filter. Once you remove it, you have to MOVE the a/c and coolant lines out of the way to get it out ... repeat to get it back in. I forsee lots of techs getting scolded pretty bad when these cars get older and the brittle coolant lines break.

Originally Posted By: Frbl
...on my 2013 Ford Escape 1.6L Ecoboost. And I cannot see any reasonable way to mount a relocation kit. There doesn't seem to be any room for hoses to come out the side of an adapter, and if you tried adapters that have the hoses come straight out I can't see how the hoses wouldn't get kinked because of the radical turn one would have to make (to come uptowards the top of the car, for example). Sheesh.

Do other Fords with this particular engine have the same problem (Focus, etc.)?

Anybody with this engine have any ideas for a relocation kit that might work?

It's just the 1.6 that is odd. Apparently that's significantly different than the 2.0 and 2.5 - IE - it's not just a downsized 2.0.

On the transverse 2.0, 2.0 EB and 2.5, it's on the passenger side, front (of car) of the engine. Super simple to get to.

My port injected 2.0 Duratec has the filter in the same location as my parent's 2.0 EB. I could change the one on my Focus without lifting the car.

Last edited:
Just watched the youtube (below) of this filter removal and replacement, whoever designed this filter placement should be taken out behind the woodshed, or worse. Aweful.

That said, any relocation kit will put the engine warranty in jeopardy. The location stinks but if something happens and you will be SOL as far as coverage.

What a mess. Is it possible to get better access of the filter from the top?

Impossible from the top. Get it up on ramps; let the engine cool some; lots of rags! small hands help. PureONE PL 10241 is a good choice since it has a better grip and a silicone ADBV. HAVE FUN!!

Originally Posted By: ranelson
And first the PITA belly pan has to come off.

Normally, most belly pans (of any make) fall off on their own after about 50K miles...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wonder how many of these will go to quick lube places and leave with the same filter?

Or worse, cut or break loose one of the AC lines and tell you that your AC lines are leaking and need replacing resulting in pure profit... typical ford engineering.

*Edit*
Also, 4.3 quarts of oil for a 1.6L is a lot considering my 1.6L takes as much as 3.5 quarts and the nissan sentra I once owned took 3.3 quarts..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wonder how many of these will go to quick lube places and leave with the same filter?

Probably most of them.

And I thought the oil filter on my Zetec 4 Ford was in a most inconvenient location. For me and the Zetec I found if you don't have a lift where the suspension can hang down the best next best thing is to jack the passenger sided up and remove the tire. Then the filter is a snap to remove with minimal mess. Without a lift it looks like that the filter on the 1.6 Eco Boost is really difficult and messy to remove. It looks bad enough with being on a lift
shocked2.gif

Whimsey

worst filter location for me, 1992 sable 3.8L someone at ford decided to have the filter mount horizontaly, above the exhast, so you were guaranteed to have a burnt oil smell

Using a strap oil wrench seems like the biggest problem. I haven't used one in at least 20 years. Most vehicles don't have the clearance around the filter to use them. As someone else said get the right tool or just use your hands.

WOW! That is just crazy! (Just watched the video.)
As those hoses age that filter removal/install will require hazard pay.
As Miller88 stated, how many will leave the shop with the same filter? A LOT OF THEM!
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back