Horrendous AT&T cell service

Try not using the 5G portion of your phone in those area and report back if 4G works good there.
That’s what the rep told me to do first. It didn’t help in the area by my other property which is the worst.

At home, LTE/5GE and 5G+ seem to give about the same speeds.

I use Straight Talk and am on AT&Ts network. The last few months my service has gotten worse. Takes time to send a text, can't get on the net and signal disappearing. I've had it for years and used it all over the country. I'm in a rural area where there's not a lot of traffic like there would be in NJ. thinking about switching to T-Mobile. They have strong 5g signals around here. I think they have better coverage through out the country. Any opinions out there on TM?
T mobiles 5g isnt as fast as Verizon nor AT&Ts. There have been a few articles laying out that T-mobile went a cheaper route. I've had off and on issues a couple of weeks ago. For two days all my text messages failed and calls were hit or miss.

T mobiles 5g isnt as fast as Verizon nor AT&Ts. There have been a few articles laying out that T-mobile went a cheaper route. I've had off and on issues a couple of weeks ago. For two days all my text messages failed and calls were hit or miss.
Rootmetrics, Open Signal and Ookla have said T-Mobiles 5G is far faster than the other 2, though Verizon got a big jump in speed when they started rolling out their C band.

@SHOZ , check if T-Mobile will sell you their Home Internet service. You have to live rather close to a T-Mobile tower or they won't sell it. Also T-Mobile has several own-brand hotspot and tablet (which can be hotspotted) offerings but it's difficult for me to deduce what they actually cost.

@SHOZ , check if T-Mobile will sell you their Home Internet service. You have to live rather close to a T-Mobile tower or they won't sell it. Also T-Mobile has several own-brand hotspot and tablet (which can be hotspotted) offerings but it's difficult for me to deduce what they actually cost.
I was looking at the tower coverage area map and it isn't very good now. Use to be a lot better. I'm 6 miles from the tower.

I’ll tell you that when my brother and I tried to get the weather a few weeks back, mine never loaded on ATT, and his loaded instantly. This was in a very affluent area of northern NJ, not the boonies.

I wouldn't be shocked if that annual 20 billion in capex is funny accounting. Move expenses into capex, and delay the hit to the bottom line, and make expenses look like assetts. Not saying they are doing this, but would not be shocked if a forensic audit determined that.
Funny accounting for the last 20 years? I wonder who paid for the network to be completely replaced several times? Any idea how much that costs?

Not saying they are doing this, but would not be shocked if a forensic audit determined that.
Do you realize AT&T is externally audited every year?

We can joke around a bit right?

You say you AT&T is playing around with funny money.

That's like saying someone said they saw you walk out of a house of ill repute last night. Can't prove it, but it could be....

Funny accounting for the last 20 years? I wonder who paid for the network to be completely replaced several times? Any idea how much that costs?

Do you realize AT&T is externally audited every year?

We can joke around a bit right?

You say you AT&T is playing around with funny money.

That's like saying someone said they saw you walk out of a house of ill repute last night. Can't prove it, but it could be....
WWillson,

I think the integrity of GAAP (common set of accounting rules, requirements, and practices) is nothing like it was decades ago. As long as a company has cashflow, they can play with GAAP all they want. It is when a company perverting GAAP can't service the debt is when the house of cards is exposed.

For ATT to spend over one billion dollars for naming rights to a football stadium tells me all I need to know about ATT. Naming rights for a stadium might be a good match for an organization trying to get its name out there- not a match for an already household name deep in debt.

An example you may know is the ballpark former known as Comiskey Park. It is now called Guaranteed Rate Field. I never heard of Guaranteed Rate Field, so spending for the naming rights seems like a good fit. But ATT paying over one billion dollars for the naming rights to a football stadium is nuts. One of the best organizations in the USA is Berkshire Hathaway. Deepest pockets of any non tech firm in the USA. You don't see BH firms paying for naming rights.

In my observation- ATT is not the organization that was Bell Labs, Ameritech, etc. Those "glory days" are long gone. ATT is a deep in debt organization that works much harder at lobbying governmental agencies than being a corporation that American citizens should be proud of.
We see things very different- but that is ok. I have been wrong many times before, and I may very well be wrong here. But I have yet to see anything that specifies or implies ATT is a great American corporation today, as it was decades ago.

I think it varies by location . We saw a definite improvement here .
Yeah, all cell service is location specific. This thread could be about any cell phone provider, chatting on a world wide forum, never mind a persons zip code.

As far as 5g service, who cares as long as you have good LTE of which you would never know the difference on a cell phone. If anything the LTE might be more reliable. For 5g T-Mobile is still way ahead of the pack but the others finally catching up, not that it matters. You need more towers for 5g as it doesnt travel well.

It will be interesting to see how the nations 4th largest provider does as they come on line. Dish Network.

Yeah, all cell service is location specific. This thread could be about any cell phone provider, chatting on a world wide forum, never mind a persons zip code.

As far as 5g service, who cares as long as you have good LTE of which you would never know the difference on a cell phone. If anything the LTE might be more reliable. For 5g T-Mobile is still way ahead of the pack but the others finally catching up, not that it matters. You need more towers for 5g as it doesnt travel well.

It will be interesting to see how the nations 4th largest provider does as they come on line. Dish Network.
It is. It’s still horrible on the spots by my one property. I called att again and let them do their diagnosis. It’s mostly idiotic stuff. Is your data on? Is iOS up to date? Stuff to absolve them of responsibility. But it’s just a bad dead zone with too much congestion I guess on the LTE… assuming it’s congested which I’m not 100% on because I NEVER get a bit of data. Congestion I’d think sooner or later I’d get some bytes.

So the network folks took addresses and a report fwiw.

It is. It’s still horrible on the spots by my one property. I called att again and let them do their diagnosis. It’s mostly idiotic stuff. Is your data on? Is iOS up to date? Stuff to absolve them of responsibility. But it’s just a bad dead zone with too much congestion I guess on the LTE… assuming it’s congested which I’m not 100% on because I NEVER get a bit of data. Congestion I’d think sooner or later I’d get some bytes.

So the network folks took addresses and a report fwiw.
Same here....
At times literally unusable

I’ve been with AT&T for 25+ years. However, anytime my iphone(s) goes to LTE service, I can’t do anything on data. Conversely, android phones don’t seem to have as much trouble. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I just love the Verizon customer service....the worst of the worst.
They all must be bad no? I keep hearing how some of the smaller cell companies have good customer service but have a difficult time figuring out how in the world they make money if they lease towers.

anytime my iphone(s) goes to LTE service, I can’t do anything on data. 🤷‍♂️
At first I thought you meant you have no phone service when you have data ( LTE ) turned on . Is that what you meant to say ?
Sometimes my phone signal disappears when when I have data on .

At first I thought you meant you have no phone service when you have data ( LTE ) turned on . Is that what you meant to say ?
Sometimes my phone signal disappears when when I have data on .
I inadvertently mixed apples with oranges. The thread is about ‘cell service’, and I addressed the data side. AT&T cell service works OK while in LTE but virtually all web data hangs to the point of no use. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing is more local than internet and cell phone service and price. I have ATT cellular service and Xfinity internet and both are best available for my area and both are competitive in price compared to other lesser providers. If something better/cheaper comes along I’ll go there. No big deal.

Back