Horn Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the wimpy sound of my stock horn and was thinking about replacing it, or adding a second horn, so that I have the option of getting someone's attention if I need to. After a little investigation I have found there are electric and air horns. Air horns seem much more serious, expensive, and loud, so I think I will be going electric. Does anyone have any experience with this topic? I kind of like the idea of something like this:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=oogah
just for the novelty effect. I think I would like to have a switch on my dash to choose whether to use the stock or add-on horn, to keep things simple. Any thoughts?

J.c. Whitney used to have one that was an ocean liner horn sound. You can imagine you're signaling, "Iceberg off the port bow!"

Seriously, it's a good idea. A lot of the horns on modern cars are woefully inadequate for getting the attention of morons driving along with their stereos thumping away. The little cars have horns that sound indignant, not authoritative. Something like a locomotive's horn blast ("Get out of my WAAAAY!") might be what you need.

Here is a Youtube Video for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lnQJvNDiIM

LOL.gif

You could always hook up more than 1 horn so the volume increases but you don't sound like a truck/train.
wink.gif

You could also get a novelty horn like the Road-Runner horn that goes "BEEP...BEEP" like the cartoon Road-Runner.
grin2.gif

I've felt that the horns on the Hondas I have owned were wimpy and indignant so I do not usually use them (there's usually no need). I've thought about upgrading them but them being used 2-3 times a year does not warrant the expense and the time spent installing them.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

.....You could also get a novelty horn like the Road-Runner horn that goes "BEEP...BEEP" like the cartoon Road-Runner.
grin2.gif

The old Plymouth Road Runners used to come with those horns from the factory.
thumbsup2.gif

I dunno what I want to tell you the truth. Why are air horns so expensive? Do they require big honkin' air compressors? I guess they would. Is that a big power draw?

I installed two sets of Fiamm air horns on my Grand Am, one on my Pathfinder, and I've had a set on my Mazda3 for the last five years. I can't stand having a horn that sounds apologetic when I want my car to "yell" at someone. My buddy tried dual electrics that were supposed to be loud - I think they were called "freeway blasters", but they don't compare and were returned.

When I had the two sets on the Grand Am, I experimented with fuses. 20A would blow instantly, 25A would blow after a few seconds, but 30A worked. So a 15A circuit should be fine for one. I wire them up with a relay and 12 or 14 gauge wire. Install can take a few hours, depending on what you find for a mounting point. Just make sure the compressor is mounted so that the inlet is not exposed to rain or dirt, or it probably won't last long. A buddy experienced that first-hand. I have three friends that went with air horns after hearing the ones on my Grand Am!

I had an air horn on my saturn, briefly. Connected its relay trigger to the original feed but something shorted and it started blaring in the driveway.
crazy2.gif
I would def hook up the main power source to an ignition switched feed next time.

The horn was only $20 at the FLAPS. That JCW aoogah horn is $5-10 on sale at harbor freight.

You may find a screw in the center of your factory horns. This will adjust it louder/wimpier, and is free. Did this on my bike.

My dad had a shrill sort of airhorn in his ford fairmont, with its own secret button. The sound did not match the car so it was an attention getter-- people thought, "who else is about to run me over"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back