Horn Blowers Beware

This is where a strategically placed smartphone recording the occurrence would have been handy. That or dashcam.

I've instructed my wife to get her iPhone recording the moment something wonky happens. I also don't plan on exiting the vehicle unless, like the OP, it's a police officer and I'm DIRECTED to exit the vehicle.

OP, were you directed to exit the vehicle?
No I wasn't asked to exit the vehicle.
He never looked at the registration.
The horn set him off...

No I wasn't asked to exit the vehicle.
He never looked at the registration.
The horn set him off...

I'm not trying to bust your nuggets too hard. I made the mistake of confronting someone under almost the exact set of circumstances you describe. I stopped because I was in my young 20s and thought I was invincible AND was very clearly in the right. I also thought I could explain to him politely why the whole thing was his fault. That worked out well... He threatened to whoop me good for maybe two whole minutes (felt like longer), all in front of his young daughter, who was leaning out of the window to listen. I called his bluff as he fake swung at me a couple of times and made things worse by laughing at him.

In reality, he was just as big as I was with unknown fighting skills and mental stability. He very well could have beat me down or shot me. The reaction on and off the road with that guy blew me away, luckily only figuratively...

I'm not trying to bust your nuggets too hard. I made the mistake of confronting someone under almost the exact set of circumstances you describe. I stopped because I was in my young 20s and thought I was invincible AND was very clearly in the right. I also thought I could explain to him politely why the whole thing was his fault. That worked out well... He threatened to whoop me good for maybe two whole minutes (felt like longer), all in front of his young daughter, who was leaning out of the window to listen. I called his bluff as he fake swung at me a couple of times and made things worse by laughing at him.

In reality, he was just as big as I was with unknown fighting skills and mental stability. He very well could have beat me down or shot me. The reaction on and off the road with that guy blew me away, luckily only figuratively...

I fully understand. I feel better about it because this guy is legendary for his behavior. I just never ran into him. Time for a dash cam for us all.
Typical egomaniac.. Thanks

This is where a strategically placed smartphone recording the occurrence would have been handy. That or dashcam.

I've instructed my wife to get her iPhone recording the moment something wonky happens. I also don't plan on exiting the vehicle unless, like the OP, it's a police officer and I'm DIRECTED to exit the vehicle.

OP, were you directed to exit the vehicle?
It is very easy with the iPhone.

Exactly right ^^^^^^^

Good bad or indifferent... Police runs tags ALL the time... While we are out on the highway...

If Looney's don't like that technology being used that way... Take that technology away from police... And stop telling us that we have no right to a level of privacy IF we dare to go out in public or drive on a public street...

She got pulled over and was treated fairly. The plate didn't come back, hence the stop.. That smirk on her face seems to display alot of "privilege'" attitude. I bet she calls the station, and the guys get chewed out over it.

I really feel for LEO's. I've been treated very fairly by most of those I've interacted with. The one or two on the fringe? Nearly ruined my life. Barring that one incident that I won't go into details on, I've only been chewed out by ONE officer who was in the right to do so.

I went to pass someone going 5-10 under the speed limit when they, all of the sudden, decided it was time to race. I was in my STI so I obliged and got around their hooptie rather quickly, but ended up going 10 over the speed limit by the time I passed them (it was less a race than that person being an a-hole). Unfortunately, this all took place in plain sight of a PO stationed at the bottom of a hill, hidden pretty well, and in a location I had not and have not since seen LE (i.e., it's not a common hidey hole).

Whoop Whoop, LIGHTS, and then, when I didn't IMMEDIATELY pull over, some BRNT BRNT BRNT was added to the cacophony. I pulled into the next strip mall area and knew what was coming. I was chewed out and berated and thought I was going to be pulled out of my car and beaten based on the level of furor in his voice. When I was finally asked to explain myself I simply said that there was no safe place to pull over for him, that the side was literally six inches wide, next to a wall with no walkway, and just after a hill where many people speed, like I was doing, and that many people don't pay attention (we've all seen the videos online). I continued to tell him that I put my hazard lights on as soon as I saw his lights and pulled into the nearest safe location for him, a Panera bread within a strip mall.

He literally lost all of his bluster and steam in one full, long sigh and let me go with a warning. I KNEW I was supposed to pull over immediately but was willing to handle the potential consequence of a worse fine by driving an additional block down the road, all at 3/4 the speed limit to show I wasn't trying to "get away", all to make sure he was safe to get out and chew me out or not, at his discretion. That decision paid off, as telling the truth typically does for me.

I wouldn't have stopped. Too many nut cases. If he followed me, it would be to the police station as called 911. I also would've filed a complaint on him. That's how you stop idiots like him.

She got pulled over and was treated fairly. The plate didn't come back, hence the stop.. That smirk on her face seems to display alot of "privilege'" attitude. I bet she calls the station, and the guys get chewed out over it.
I bet the cop profiled her and made up the plate thing as a “cop out”.

Last edited:
Yeah caught me leaving the parking lot. Chases me down on the road as I wasn't speeding away so I pick the first area to pull over. He gets out of his vehicle totally ticked off.
Just curious, at what point did this "person" identify himself as a law enforcement officer in official discharge of his duties?

You may have grounds for both civil and criminal action ( and might should prepare accordingly)

Right now this other stuff you say people gave you is literally "hearsay" at the moment so focus on the specific facts of your situation.

I don't like horn blowing unless it is necessary because you may get a bullet. You know the drivers that hit the horn instantly as the light is turning green... Yeah them.

Well I just had a rare occurrence for me. I blew my horn 35 minutes ago and endured a complete fiasco...
Yeah a real fiasco. Oh no..😳

Silver Ford Explorer causes me to make a radical evasive maneuver to
Avoid being T boned. Car was going too fast and never slowed down.
I gave him the horn instantly right after I got out of the situation.

Well he didn't take kindly to the insult and spun around and came after me.
Yeah caught me leaving the parking lot. Chases me down on the road as I wasn't speeding away so I pick the first area to pull over. He gets out of his vehicle totally ticked off.
Guess who it was? A cop....

Yeah and he was totally rambling and upset. Started telling me all the tickets I was going to get and would ask me a question and then totally distort it and talk over me. Then he says I have been drinking and asked me how many I had. Whips out the flashlight and you know how that goes. I told him I don't drink and feel free to search my car.
Asks for my license and I had it ready and he is still trying to twist my words and then starts on all the tickets and hey buddy it's all on camera. I said then the judge will see how you would have hit me if I didn't get out of your way.
He thinks and then asks if i have been arrested etc. Told him no and I never even had a violation.
He looks at my license again and says oh I know you and where you live. Starts cooling off and tells me he is letting me off with a verbal warning for the 20 bogus violations which honestly I appreciated because he could rack me up if he wanted to. Not that I did any of it.

So in the end he cools off... And wants to shake my hand and I tell him the cv19 nonsense and he doesn't believe in it and forces me to shake his hand. I did.
This is all true..... Avoid the horn especially at night.....geez...

I was polite but got stern as he tried
to rack me up and put words in my mouth. In the end the video would have showed that this was all about nothing but that dang horn....
It was not a unmarked car but couldn't see it was a cop until he lit me up later on as i was leaving the parking lot. Enough drama for one day.

First thought: Was he drunk?

(Or on meth/dope/speed/pills of some sort. I've had VERY similar encounters. Turns out they were junkies...)

Now, if someone honks their horn at me, I usually either stop or go slower. Same with tailgating. And I do it with the cruise, too, since when you tap your brake lights it is the same whether it's tap or slam so. Since it is an unsafe situation anyway.

The tailgaters know it is an Automatic At-Fault if they hit, so, just remember, they don't want to have an accident. Works for truckers, too.. ;) (They really think you are going to move!) Just make sure there is room where they can ultimately pass you, since there is the chance they will act all stupid when they get in front of you. Courtesy is leaving them room to go around. Not getting out of their way. Always have to know when to break it off, and how far to take it.

Only ever had these Road Rage type of situations in the hood and with.. yeah, mostly ghetto people (though not always.) Loud mouth people stuff. And my car was experiencing some throttle delay, so, that lasted longer than it had to. No police around when that happens, since it could easily be considered reckless. I don't like it, either...

You definitely have a good point about the risk of blowing the horn. Less chance of getting shot here in Canada but still a possibility.

In the case of someone sleeping at the light ahead of me, I do the double tap on the horn instead of a solid blaring....so it comes across like "hey dude, lights green eh", instead of "get the f out of my way!"

Especially since all my driving now is in my truck with my bosses company name and phone number, website etc all over it.

You definitely have a good point about the risk of blowing the horn. Less chance of getting shot here in Canada but still a possibility.

In the case of someone sleeping at the light ahead of me, I do the double tap on the horn instead of a solid blaring....so it comes across like "hey dude, lights green eh", instead of "get the f out of my way!"

Especially since all my driving now is in my truck with my bosses company name and phone number, website etc all over it.

I had to do that a Saturday or Sunday morning at an intersection by me. Two ladies in the car talking.

Light was green for about 10-15 seconds before they went. Was for about 5 before I tapped the horn, as mentioned.

It can be a sign of aggression...

NYers will just cut you off just before the exit because they know you have to slow down.

Back