hope no one takes this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: abycat
I dont know guys. I know alot of people that just sit there and rot taking thei 20 pills a day and all thats wrong with them is their phobia and lazyness.Personally i know a few people. My grandfather has had no surgeries or and never in the hospital sick. And he just had a knee replaced and he isone old active guy. He walked all his life. Like miles to and from work everyday. He was the forestry boss in our part of the province right before he retired. Started with being a bush monkey.

And my dad who was born in 53 has missed only one day of work with the mill in 30 years. Never broken a bone or been hospitalised. I have bever been in a hospital besides being born and i dont get sick ever. I think i got pretty good odds.

You do realize of course that you grandpa was pumped full of drugs both before and after that knee replacement don't you??

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Hey abycat, your young yet. If your dna or genitic code clicks one of its switches, and I hope it doesn't there is a chance you will need more then aspirin,imho. I glad you are healthy and so on, enjoy it while you can, I was bullett proof a long time ago too.

01.gif

Just for reference/perspective I am 44 now.

Up until February/March 2009 I was absolutely healthy and happy other than some minor issues( cuts, broken wrist, etc... ). Nothing worse for me than the flu. Never hospitalized, no ambulance rides, and so on. As said a few inujuries/common illnesses but nothing requiring long term med's or serious medical care. I would estimate that from the time I graduated high school in 1986 until mid 2007 I saw a Dr maybe a dozen times tops and most of those were physicals.

I started feeling "off" in 2007 but nothing was found after some tests so I just figured I was slowing down as I hit 40. Adapted to it and dealt with it and life moved on. That changed when literally overnight( that is accurate and not just a literary term )in early 2009 I became pretty darn sick. One day I was fine and the next morning I woke up and my life was changed forever!

In June of 2009 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. No family history of it or anything and as said until that point healthy as can be. The Dr's believe that "off feeling" I had starting in 2007 was the begining of the illness but it didn't really strike me until 2009. Up until that point I was as healthy as anyone could ask to be and then WHAM!

So I agree completely that for anyone to say they haven't had to take any med's to this point, and thus never will never have to take a drug, and so on, is foolish. At the least it is very short sighted. You never know when you will need drugs to stay alive, or in my case, be able to walk, take care of myself, etc... I never took any med's for medical needs either and never imagined I would need them. Not before I got pretty old anyway. At just 42 though that all changed.

If I didn't take my MS med's( shot 3X's p/week )and the various vitamins and supplements recommended chances are I would be in a wheel chair by now. I can't do a lot of the things I once could and have been rushed to the hospital in the ambulance a few times now but I am far better off than I would be if I refused to take the Dr prescribed med's.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Hey abycat, your young yet. If your dna or genitic code clicks one of its switches, and I hope it doesn't there is a chance you will need more then aspirin,imho. I glad you are healthy and so on, enjoy it while you can, I was bullett proof a long time ago too.

01.gif

Just for reference/perspective I am 44 now.

Up until February/March 2009 I was absolutely healthy and happy other than some minor issues( cuts, broken wrist, etc... ). Nothing worse for me than the flu. Never hospitalized, no ambulance rides, and so on. As said a few inujuries/common illnesses but nothing requiring long term med's or serious medical care. I would estimate that from the time I graduated high school in 1986 until mid 2007 I saw a Dr maybe a dozen times tops and most of those were physicals.

I started feeling "off" in 2007 but nothing was found after some tests so I just figured I was slowing down as I hit 40. Adapted to it and dealt with it and life moved on. That changed when literally overnight( that is accurate and not just a literary term )in early 2009 I became pretty darn sick. One day I was fine and the next morning I woke up and my life was changed forever!

In June of 2009 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. No family history of it or anything and as said until that point healthy as can be. The Dr's believe that "off feeling" I had starting in 2007 was the begining of the illness but it didn't really strike me until 2009. Up until that point I was as healthy as anyone could ask to be and then WHAM!

So I agree completely that for anyone to say they haven't had to take any med's to this point, and thus never will never have to take a drug, and so on, is foolish. At the least it is very short sighted. You never know when you will need drugs to stay alive, or in my case, be able to walk, take care of myself, etc... I never took any med's for medical needs either and never imagined I would need them. Not before I got pretty old anyway. At just 42 though that all changed.

If I didn't take my MS med's( shot 3X's p/week )and the various vitamins and supplements recommended chances are I would be in a wheel chair by now. I can't do a lot of the things I once could and have been rushed to the hospital in the ambulance a few times now but I am far better off than I would be if I refused to take the Dr prescribed med's.

Wow...truly sorry to hear that you have MS. Your story is a real shocker. It's never a 'given' in life that our health will sustain us no matter what the genetics or care we take. I hope you live a long and happy life despite this disease.

I agree with stopping the incessant advertising of drugs on TV. Especially during the "news" broadcasts where one might get 90 seconds of "news" then 2 minutes of the latest greatest money maker for some pharmaceutical giant.

I am lucky enough to not to have to take any prescription meds and certainly don't disparage those that do.

All these new medications.... It seems as though one gets to pay a premium for being a guinea Pig for these drugs as the long term effects are not known. Factored into the price of the drug is the cost of paying out settlements if/when the guinea pigs start getting ill. We have all see the tort lawsuits drawn up for drugs found to have damaging effects. One doctor my sister sent me to sent me out the door with a half dozen prescriptions that I never had filled. 3 of them later were taken off the market.

Given how doctors are rewarded by big pharma for writing prescriptions......

Everything really is all about money, and that makes it hard to trust anyone's motives. Hippocratic oath or not.

Just out of curiosity: how many of those in this thread think it's immoral for health care to be driven by money?

This is not a rhetorical or agenda-driven question. I've just seen several posts that denounce profit-driven medicine; I'm just wondering if people see it as a necessary evil or as a problem that needs to be corrected.

I personally see no problem with profit driven medicine. Drug companies deserve a return on their massive R&D budgets.

The problem is the FDA. They no longer protect the people they work for, they simply try their best to get the drugs submitted to market for Big Pharma.

We all have a NEED for medicine, that's far different from a marginally effective drug being advertised on TV to create a demand!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Wow...truly sorry to hear that you have MS. Your story is a real shocker. It's never a 'given' in life that our health will sustain us no matter what the genetics or care we take. I hope you live a long and happy life despite this disease.

Thanks. All things considered I am doing well on my med's. Could be a LOT worse.

My wife actually has MS. She has controlled it with just diet and exercise. The pain is another thing, Luckily there are other alternatives to prescription medicines like mediacal marajuana. She has a MM license and it really helps with the pain. She is off it right now cause she is 3.5 months pregnant but she is still doing fine.

Just had a second ultrasound today to check for defects and what not. They said it looks perfect. It will get its first flu shot and any antibiotics it needs when young But when its old enough to understand i will sit him ir her down and see what they think about flu shots and other vaccines. I only had one flu shot when i was born and havent had one since.

My wifes father has gillian berets syndrome from the flu shot. I didnt spell it right but that diesease is wwaaayyyy worse than the flu so I can tell you first hand what some drugs can do to you.

I think most of the worlds population has had taking pills for everything hammered into them by either media or themselves. i guess if im sick when im older drugs will work better for me cause I have not built up an immunity to them by stuffing my body full of them.

I tell you this much last month I had a pretty bad headache and I took one headache pill and By the time I thought about it it was gone. I know some people that take handfulls and it doesnt phase them. Gotta mean something.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Learn something everyday...

All the medicines in the world kill people. None of them cure any illnesses. All prescription medicine should be banned.
People never get sick, because "I" never get sick, or my dad.

Great.

Thank you.
I had this backwards.
I admit I was wrong.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I firmly believe it is wrong to be advertising drugs on TV.

I agree- especially new prescription drugs where they don't even tell you what its for, just say "see your doctor."

I don't mind that Bayer advertises that aspirin works for headaches, or that the makers of antihistimines tell you they help with sneezing. That's useful information. But showing a big moth flapping its wings over a sleeping person and then saying "see your doctor" is just ridiculous.

Yah, I didnt even have a doctor until 2008. when I spent 4 days in the hospital with pneumonia. Then 3 yrs ago, age 58, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Cut, poisoned with chemo, then nuked. 9 months of treatment. I would like to say that I am a survivor , but I can't say that for another 2 1/2 yrs. Meantime I take citalopram to stay positive and tamoxophen to keep my risk of recurrence down to 15%. So far, I have no negative side effects other than hot flashes when I work above 70s. In the summer, I will soak myself in sweat. After an hour or so, I have to cool down and re-hydrate for 20 minutes before returning to work. No big deal, I have figured out how to manage that. I have always believed that sweating is good for you. I also have neuropathy in my hands and feet from Taxol used in chemo. But, I am healthier than I was 3 yrs ago and waay more content. Nothing helps with prioritizing your life, than to be told that you have cancer. I'm in a much better place now that Ive realized whats truly important to me. Everyday you wake up is a good day, if you just give it a chance. That is the citalopram affect. When I was first given it, my cheeks hurt because I was smiling so hard. Then I realized that I could put a positive spin on anything. Including a brush with cancer. So fine, grasshopper, enjoy your vitality. You're gonna need it. If I knew I was gonna last this long, I would have taken better care of myself
grin.gif

^^^Andyd, your last line is just like me!

I woke up last year and could not believe I was still here. God is great.

Prayers for you, man. Hope you do well.

I thank god for the internet.

I have diabetes ,I control it with diet exercise and cinnamon and sage capsules.I was on a daily shot that cost around 300$ after insurance for a 90 day supply.I looked around for herbal alternatives and read up on sage and cinnamon.Now my blood sugar avg is in the 120's.I had some respiratory problems a few months ago.I ended up at the dr for prescriptions which helped.Looked on the net for some herbal help.For less than 10 dollars I bought enough herbs
to make 5 gallons of tea.I think I made a gallon and a half drank 3 cups a day which helped more than the meds did.

Research herbs and spices,a lot of things our grandparents did WORK.

I have no problem with companies making a profit.My problem is the corruption rampant at the FDA and the incestous relationships between the government staff/experts and the drug companies.

I forgot to mention in my last post.Every year the FDA pushes for legislation to classify herbal supplements and vitamins as medication that needs a dr's prescription for purchase.Thankfully it goes no where each year.Who knows who puts the FDA up to it?

Think about that ,I'm sure an answer will come to you.

urrlord, you are so right.

My retired secretary is an herbal goddess. Most times when any of us feel a bit off all we do is slurp some tea or eat a capsule of some nice natural herb and we're great.

Everything we need is here.

I have decided that if anything happens to me that will have me requiring pills every day...more than likely, I will eat my shotgun. Cancer means I will do so within 24 hours. I have seen people go through chemo...no way. Give me a slug through tne brain.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
I forgot to mention in my last post.Every year the FDA pushes for legislation to classify herbal supplements and vitamins as medication that needs a dr's prescription for purchase.Thankfully it goes no where each year.Who knows who puts the FDA up to it?

Think about that ,I'm sure an answer will come to you.

I don't trust the conglomerates that process and sell vitamins and herbal supplements any more than I trust Pfizer and Bristol-Myers-Squibb. In fact I trust them less because they face no standards, no review, no scrutiny. They could be processed in China and filled with melamine and arsenic for all we know, just like has happened with pet food. So who keeps pushing the FDA to leave "supplements" unregulated? Think about THAT.

Bottom line: I take as few medications as I can get away with and remain healthy. NO supplements... I've overhauled my diet to better take care of that. If you eat right then vitamins, herbs, and supplements are good for nothing more than making very expensive pee. Or wrecking your liver if they have contaminants in them. :-(

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have decided that if anything happens to me that will have me requiring pills every day...more than likely, I will eat my shotgun. Cancer means I will do so within 24 hours. I have seen people go through chemo...no way. Give me a slug through tne brain.

Easy to say now. Not so easy to say when that word comes 2 years before your beloved granddaughter is to graduate high school. And sadly my dad didn't make it to my daughter's graduation, but he ****ing well tried. OR when that word comes at the start OF your senior year in high school, as happened to a classmate of my daughter's (who went through chemo, returned to school mid year, and is now in full remission).

I'm not being flip at all. But if I ever do get the word that I've got a serious disease like cancer, I'll take stock of my life and situation AT THAT TIME and see if I accept or refuse a long or difficult treatment. If I'm 89, 'old and full of years' as the Bible says, then I might opt out. If its next year... consider it game on and I'll fight like you've never seen fight. I've now seen enough people go through the [censored] of chemo and then go on to live another 20 years or even more that I certainly won't arbitrarily refuse it. Chemo can be the living embodiment of 'that which does not kill us makes us stronger.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back