Honda's turbo engines?

Hi,
Are the 2021 Honda turbos now just as reliable as the other auto makers or would I be taking a HUGE risk and gamble in purchasing?? I have been considering a new 2021
Civic EX sedan. However, I have been told now be several well respected mechanics in my area the ONLY current 2021 model they would buy would be the Civic LX trim. Naturally
aspirated, port injected engine will practically last forever with proper maintenance to to stay away from turbo if long term reliability is very important to someone.
Thanks

I'd rather look at other cars if you really wanna consider the Civic with the 2.0.
The base Toyota Camry has 203 HP and gets 1 MPG highway than the 158 HP Civic LX. Plus the Toyota has a geared automatic.
I'm guessing your not replacing the Elantra with a Civic because that isn't an upgrade.

Move up to the 2.0 turbo, and treat everyone to this view. LOL

Civic R.JPG

The 1.5T Civic was known for fuel diluting it’s oil. I don’t know if this has been fixed yet and it didn’t seem to affect wear according to UOAs but I’d still avoid it.
I know its been fixed in the CR-Vs but haven't heard anything about the Civics but I'm also not on a Civic forum.

There is one fundamental that I use when picking a vehicle besides, is it the right size, is it reliable, is it comfortable enough and finally IS IT ENJOYABLE and FUN to drive. Ed

The civics didn't really have a problem with fuel dilution, the CRV did in 17 and some 18s, after that it wasn't a big problem.

The 1.5 turbo has been reliable in several vehicles for about 5 years. The civic groups do some intensive mods and don't report many issues.

I had one and loved it, wish I hadn't sold it. Bought a CRV in the fuel dilution time period, so I opted for a 2016 non turbo with 3,000 miles instead of a new 2017 or 18.

I'd buy a turbo CRV now that the problem has been rectified.

We own a 1.5T, in a 2018 6spd MT. I have no issue recommending the 1.5t. The torque runs on super early. You can drive it as relaxed or aggressively as you want. It’s balanced like a sewing machine. It gets stellar mpg. We noticed some oil dilution the first couple oil changes at factory intervals but it’s lessened. If the dilution worries, we’d change it a little sooner. BUT, since he’s away at school, what I usually do is substitute one quart of a slightly heavier oil. Ours has been a great car.

I’ve read of a few oil leaks on the 1.5 turbo Accord, not sure if this affects the Civics or not. Fuel dilution doesn’t seem to be of concern any more, besides, if it really was a significant problem to begin with we would see failures by now.

Maintain, maintain, maintain and don’t romp on the throttle often, or when cold and you should see a good service life just like most modern engines.

Edit: there was a time when I was afraid of owning a turbo vehicle, now I LOVE it. When tuned right (VW knows how) you get gobs of torque right off idle AND stellar MPG.

Reactions: Pew
Back