Honda's turbo engines?

My wife and I put over 40,000 miles on a 2018 Civic 1.5T 6MT that she bought before we got married.

Great car. Unfortunately got totaled in December when someone rear-ended her. Never had any engine problems.

Get one, run excellent quality full-synth, change every 5000 miles, be sure to take it out often and drive it for longer periods to get the oil hot, and enjoy.

I'd rather look at other cars if you really wanna consider the Civic with the 2.0.
The base Toyota Camry has 203 HP and gets 1 MPG highway than the 158 HP Civic LX. Plus the Toyota has a geared automatic.
I'm guessing your not replacing the Elantra with a Civic because that isn't an upgrade.
The Civic must suck then because I've driven a current generation Elantra and it ain't nothin to write home about...

Undersized engine with a turbo to make up for it is a big no no in my book. Just stupid logic. Make the **** engine bigger and cut the turbo.
Unfortunately, small displacement, forced induction is the wave of the future...turbos are here to stay...just run full syn and change it more often and it should last a good long while...

We own a 1.5T, in a 2018 6spd MT. I have no issue recommending the 1.5t. The torque runs on super early. You can drive it as relaxed or aggressively as you want. It’s balanced like a sewing machine. It gets stellar mpg. We noticed some oil dilution the first couple oil changes at factory intervals but it’s lessened. If the dilution worries, we’d change it a little sooner. BUT, since he’s away at school, what I usually do is substitute one quart of a slightly heavier oil. Ours has been a great car.
Agreed. My gf has a '19 1.5T/CVT. Only 13k miles on it, but great so far. Oil is changed based on OLM, so about every 4k mi since it doesn't see much freeway time. While it is smooth, it is noticeably rougher than the 344k mi 1uz in my car. Great ride though, I wasn't expecting it to be as firm as it is

I think with current synthetic oil and premium gas and regular oil changes you should be ok. In Colorado with the altitude the turbo engines normalizes or lose less power as you climb in altitude

Weird how history repeats itself. The 80s had turbo everything. Then everything went n/a. Then twin turbos were the rage. Then n/a. Now turbos again.

I always wondered how long these ultra high strung tiny turbocharged engines would last. The only turbocharged cars I've ever driven were turbocharged V6's.

Move up to the 2.0 turbo, and treat everyone to this view. LOL
lol.JPG

That HASSS to sound better than your average FartCan.

Weird how history repeats itself. The 80s had turbo everything. Then everything went n/a. Then twin turbos were the rage. Then n/a. Now turbos again.

I always wondered how long these ultra high strung tiny turbocharged engines would last. The only turbocharged cars I've ever driven were turbocharged V6's.
It’s interesting to see that mfrs definitely vary in the amount of boost they build in to their designs. My Volvo may have been 6psi. My sons civic is... 8 i think (scangauge reading) my truck will boost close to 14 psi according to the web. i also suspect they tune the throttle and boost control valve to avoid creating boost until the throttle is completely open, as boost under part-throttle would result in additional pumping losses.

with 8 psi, I don’t see the civic as very high-strung. The ecoboost certainly has more work to do, and they are known for eating coolant o-rings at the turbos, especially if you tow. I have that t-shirt on order, I’m afraid. The engine mechanicals seem solid enough though -I’d buy it again.

m

It’s interesting to see that mfrs definitely vary in the amount of boost they build in to their designs. My Volvo may have been 6psi. My sons civic is... 8 i think (scangauge reading) my truck will boost close to 14 psi according to the web. i also suspect they tune the throttle and boost control valve to avoid creating boost until the throttle is completely open, as boost under part-throttle would result in additional pumping losses.

with 8 psi, I don’t see the civic as very high-strung. The ecoboost certainly has more work to do, and they are known for eating coolant o-rings at the turbos, especially if you tow. I have that t-shirt on order, I’m afraid. The engine mechanicals seem solid enough though -I’d buy it again.

m
For a car the size of the Civic,that's the perfect application for a 4 cyl. The ones I'm wondering about are these full sized behemoth sedans with a tiny 2.0 and smaller turbocharged 4 cyl.

Last edited:
If I like the car, I'd get it. Lots of published material on Civics is available regarding reliability.

Go for it. The Honda 1.5T doesn’t seem as problematic as GM’s 1.4T or VW’s TSI engines. If it’s a CR-V, the fuel dilution issue was addressed with a reflash and a new HVAC controller in some cases.

for one thing, we have better gas and lubricants now. 91/92 octane is more widespread and some of the standards CARB implemented for gasoline(more so the sulfur content) has made their way into gas nationally. The move to tighter CAFE specs forced tribologists to formulate more robust oils.

The Civic must suck then because I've driven a current generation Elantra and it ain't nothin to write home about...
God, Uber has ruined how I see the Elantra, Sonata, Altima and Prius. The Hyundais cosmetically hold up better than the Prius in Uber/Lyft/taxi use though.

Am I the only one who doesn't like that? Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the civic drives well.
I'm sure the Civic is fine mechanically, Honda just needs to get the millennials out of the design dept....it's one of the most hideous looking vehicles made...

Yes, it is different. But turbos have been standard in recreational marine diesel motor applications for at least several decades, if not longer.

Back