Hondas CR-V 1998 makes tin can noise

I'd leave it out altogether then. Save the money you'd spend on the repair, and save gas too!

I live where there is snow 6 months of the year so AWD is more important.

The CR-V like most all small-midsize vehicles is essentially a FWD vehicle which the deiveshaft and rear differential were added on to give the option of AWD. So they are 100% fine to continue life as just a FWD if mud/snow limited traction are not a real factor.
This is exactly what the mechanic told me... keeping it in front wheel drive is perfectly fine

I tried replacing the u-joints in my OEM shaft. Could not get it balanced, even a professional shop couldn't do it. Aggravating vibes above 45mph.

I used a Dorman shaft for a few years before its u-joints went bad too.

I have a <$200 eBay shaft in there now and it's going on 3ish years, no problems. I think simply replacing the shaft with a cheapie is the way to go. Or run without it like you're doing if you don't really need the 4WD most of the time.

I tried replacing the u-joints in my OEM shaft. Could not get it balanced, even a professional shop couldn't do it. Aggravating vibes above 45mph.

I used a Dorman shaft for a few years before its u-joints went bad too.

I have a <$200 eBay shaft in there now and it's going on 3ish years, no problems. I think simply replacing the shaft with a cheapie is the way to go. Or run without it like you're doing if you don't really need the 4WD most of the time.
My mechanic is also my friend...he ordered me new u joints from ebay and also an axle..I think your right

Back